Quartet Looking to Impress

  • billbarrisles
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
      Ryan Kraft

      (Sept. 10) When training camp opens tomorrow in West Virginia, the
      Islanders' coaching staff will get their first good look at four
      recently-signed free agents with limited NHL experience looking to
      make an impression.

      Derek Bekar is a 28-year old left wing who played six games last
      season for the Los Angeles Kings. An eighth-round draft pick of the
      Blues in 1995, the B.C. native had three outstanding seasons at the
      University of New Hampshire and has played in the AHL for Worcester,
      Portland and New Hampshire. Besides his six games with the Kings, the
      6-3, 200-pound Bekar was 19-19-38 in 51 games last season with
      Manchester.

      27-year old Ryan Kraft is a speedy, relentless center who played
      seven games for the San Jose Sharks last season. Throughout his
      career at the University of Minnesota and Kentucky and Cleveland of
      the AHL, Kraft has proven he can score. His best AHL season was in
      2000-01 in Kentucky, when he was 38-50-88 in 77 games. Just as
      importantly for the Islanders, he has first-rate speed and a work
      ethic to match.

      Grinding right wing Cail MacLean was 16-13-29 in 74 games last season
      with Hershey. He has played for several teams in the ECHL and AHL
      after an excellent juinor career with Kingston of the Ontario Hockey
      League. Besides posting good numbers in Trenton in 1999-2000 (34-25-
      59 in 50 games) and 2000-01 (28-17-45 in 49), MacLean is what the
      Islanders are always looking to add to the organization -- a hard-
      working, honest hockey player and great teammate.

      With Garth Snow and Rick DiPietro set in goal, the Islanders will be
      looking to 29-year old veteran Dieter Kochan to lead the way in
      Bridgeport and be ready should an injury prompt his recall. The 6-1,
      180-pound Kochan was 15-6-3 with a 2.53 GAA and .907 save for Houston
      (AHL) last season. A four-year player at the University of Northern
      Michigan, Kochan played 20 games with Tampa Bay between 1999-2002 and
      one game last season for Minnesota. He was originally drafted in the
      fourth round by Vancouver in 1993.
    • mangodance
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
        what was this printed in?

        --
        Bluegrass Hockey: Celebrating hockey in the Commonwealth:
        http://mangodance.tripod.com/bgh/bghockey.htm
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2003
          --- In Islanders-SoundTigers@yahoogroups.com, mangodance <bmn@i...>
          wrote:

          > what was this printed in?

          It was on the Isles website on Wednesday. I like the players but
          wish the team would make a better effort to inform the fans who they
          signed. I'm very curious as to this Cole Jarrett.

          Bill