Legwand considers European option

  • billbarrisles
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2003
      First Gaborik, now Legwand.

      TSN.ca Staff

      9/4/2003

      The agent for unsigned center David Legwand says he will consider
      playing in Europe this coming season if a new deal can't be worked
      out with the Nashville Predators.

      Pat Morris says Legwand will be in Nashville to begin informal
      workouts with his teammates, but if nothing gets done by next
      Wednesday, then the former first round pick will return home to
      Detroit to consider his options.

      "We've had ongoing discussions with our representative in Europe,"
      Morris tells the Tennessean. "But I haven't really entered into them
      as of yet."

      The Predators made Legwand a qualifying offer which would have seen
      make $1.2-million for the upcoming season, a 10-percent raise over
      last year. Legwand is reportedly seeking a deal worth $1.5-million.

      Nashville general manager David Poile says he is also interested in
      signing Legwand to a long-term deal of two years or more. Morris says
      they are focusing on a one year deal, with two being an outside
      possibility.

      "The good news is that we've had some more conversations lately, more
      in concept than anything else," said Poile. "But not much else has
      changed. A deal is not imminent."

      Morris says he is preparing a counteroffer based on recent
      conversations with the Predators.