Re: [Islanders-SoundTigers] Should be interesting to see how Colorado got Kariya

  • Michael McBride
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
      >From: "billbarrisles" <billbarrisles@...>

      >Colorado maintains his rights as a restricted free agent next summer.
      >
      >Bill

      Actually they don't according to tsn.ca. He's a 10 year player making under
      the league average and becomes a UFA again next year regardless. If he had
      taken more money he would have to wait for the chance to become a UFA again.
      I'm sure that factors into the contract.

      Mike McBride

    • billbarrisles
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3, 2003
        --- In Islanders-SoundTigers@yahoogroups.com, "Michael McBride"
        <mikemac29@h...> wrote:

        > Actually they don't according to tsn.ca. He's a 10 year player
        making under the league average and becomes a UFA again next year
        regardless. If he had taken more money he would have to wait for the
        chance to become a UFA again. I'm sure that factors into
        the contract.>>>

        Your right Mike. I always thought once a player makes league
        avgerage or more he does not get to be paid under that amount and get
        that exception.

        Still, with a lockout coming and even less of a market next summer
        it just does not add up that Paul Kariya would take 1.2 million to
        play with Teemu Selanne in Colorado no matter how close they are.

        Still, he get's a bad injury or his past concussion problems
        surface and he is taking a huge risk with a likely salary structure
        in place to keep big markets out of the running for his services.

        Only thing beyond several hidden bonuses (for the moment) is that
        Kariya, a player loyal to the Ducks is very offended by what
        happened.

        I don't know.

        Bill