Re: Gut feeling to share with you

  • billbarrisles
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2002
      --- In Islanders-SoundTigers@y..., chapin_landvogt@l... wrote:

      > Hi all,

      > It may sound silly, but I wouldn't be surprised if both Torres
      > AND Goddard make the opening day lineup.>>>

      Hi, Chapin..

      Right now, I do not think anything is silly because we just do not
      know what the Isles staff is thinking. A lot of decisions are being
      made on practices, not games, so it's harder to say who is really
      doing well. Mapletoft has no goals in his preseason but is making the
      right impression on Laviolette with his play and is not giving him a
      reason to send him down.

      > With Webb not in shape and the first 2 lines looking to
      be some combination of Scatchard-Izzy, Bates-Yashin
      and Parrish & Kvasha, there'll be need for a roughian
      and the supposed skill scorers (Weinhandl, Hunter,
      Kolnik) may be more served on the farm. A grinder
      to play with fellow grinders Wiemer and Asham may
      just be exactly what MM & Laviolette are looking for.>>

      I would think Webb out or getting ready opens a spot for a guy on a
      short-term basis, is it best to keep someone around and demote them a
      little later ? For all we know Asham may only be doing enough to hold
      Webb's spot, or Godard sticks for an extra week until Webb is ready.

      I am still not sold on having so many bangers the team does not
      have the required firepower. A third line of Asham and Wiemer needs a
      player who can score some goals.

      Bill