Time will tell

  • chapin_landvogt@lionbridge.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hashpipe wrote:

      Is it just me or are they tryins to replace czerkawski's
      22 goals not by adding more goals scored but by reducing
      the goals against.
      <<<

      The goals against must be reduced one way or another.
      There's no way we score MORE than we did last year
      unless these new rules really kick in and our PP unit
      can even somehow finally join the middle of the pack,
      which it should always be with guys like Yashin, Jonsson,
      Aucoin and Hamrlik around.

      He continues:

      It seems that they also expect a certain few to score 5
      more goals IE Parrish,Kvasha,Isbister etc.. wich i think
      will be asking alot because you know yashin is going to
      have to fight his way through a lot of double coverage. I
      think this means that scatchards line is
      going to be counted immensley.
      <<<

      I think you are completely right! I personally think
      Parrish is bound to take a step backwards, but 45pts from
      him and 20 goals for Scatchard, at least 45 points from both
      Isbister and Kvasha, 20 goals and 55 points from Bates and
      a repeat performance of 75+ points from Yashin is expected
      and MUST happen if this team is gonna hold itself up. Chip
      in another 10 goals from each of Wiemer, Asham and say Blake
      and get 35-40 points out one of Chabada, Weinhandl, Hunter or
      even Torres and we'll be OK. I'd have to assume that we get
      a combined 130 points from our blueliners and that peca
      accumulates 25 in his brief stay. These numbers are all
      realistic, necessary and I do dare say, probable.

      However, as the Scatchard line goes up until X-mas,
      so will the team go.

      What does all this add up to? Till peca retuns every game
      is going to be a big chess match.
      <<<

      Well, with all the Jagrs, Hrdinas, Langs, Vasiceks, Stumpels, Handzus',
      Prospals, Stefans, Nedveds, Elias', Satans, and Kaberles in our
      conference, lets not hope we encounter too many czech mates!

      (sorry, am in a giddy mood)

      Bill writes in response to Kevin:

      I don't know either. The guy is playing center on
      the fourth line in the two games, is this the spot
      he is winning ? If so, someone who is supposed to
      be on this team's fourth line may well be headed
      out.
      <<<

      Well Bill, I still think Justin will be sent down as a final cut, but this
      long look can't be anything but positive. SHOULD he somehow
      make the team, then I think it's safe to say that it is a sign that Lappy
      is on his way out. We love him, but we all know he's lost a step,
      is a more expensive guy and he's in the last year of his contract.

      I'm not advocating this, but should Justin somehow make it, I expect
      that to be Lappy's ticket to another team.

      On a related topic, Detroit is now missing centers Yzerman AND
      Devereaux. Hmmmm?!?!

      ***
      Kevin, as for your Raffi concerns, I don't think he's out of the picture
      yet. I still believe 60+ points and 200 PMs accumulated in Bport
      would be a necessary step in his development. He's got the tools
      and I think he'll be a fan favorite - a ticket seller - so the Isles are
      definitely building on him. I think we're too used to seeing guys
      come in here and play right away (ummm, McCabe, Berard,
      Fichaud, Pyatt, Connelly, Brewer, etc.) and perhaps MM has
      FINALLY learned not to overdue it and rush the kids. I personally
      would like to see Torres, Dipi, Mapletoft, Hunter, Goddard and
      Kolnik remain on the farm. Let the older Euros fill in the last few
      spots and perhaps be the answers. If they're not, then the club
      will call up guys as necessary. Things will look much different
      next fall when - I suppose and am guessing at this point - all
      of Lappy, Webb and Snow will be gone.

      Time will tell,
      Chapin

    • billbarrisles
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In Islanders-SoundTigers@y..., chapin_landvogt@l... wrote:

        > Well Bill, I still think Justin will be sent down as a final cut,
        but this long look can't be anything but positive. SHOULD he somehow
        make the team, then I think it's safe to say that it is a sign that
        Lappy is on his way out. We love him, but we all know he's lost a
        step, is a more expensive guy and he's in the last year of his
        contract. >>>

        Maybe, I think the one thing that may prevent that at the moment is
        Peca not being here, they already lost one part of what was a good pk
        unit. The other is I think Lapointe is very important to this group
        at this time.

        > I'm not advocating this, but should Justin somehow make it, I expect
        that to be Lappy's ticket to another team.>>>

        > On a related topic, Detroit is now missing centers Yzerman AND
        Devereaux. Hmmmm?!?!>>>

        Detroit has a lot of promising kids, perhaps a blockbuster deal
        involving DiPietro, Lapointe or Mapletoft for a good player and
        prospect ? I read the Islanders were taking to Detroit about a deal
        over the summer involving DiPietro.

        Personally, if Detroit wants these players I do not
        make a deal. If the Wings see something in Mapletoft or DiPietro I
        hold onto them unless their prime young players on the roster come
        here in return with a player in his prime who can help. I do not want
        their 35 year old players here for one season.

        Bill