Re: Introduction to Dawn Treader

  • jollymon1979
    Message 1 of 53 , Mar 3, 2007
      Casey, Welcome!
      Anna and I baught our Islander 41 Spring before last, and we are also
      involved in much of the re-fit talked about on the websight. So far
      we have taken care of the hull to deck joint, refinishing the teak,
      and are now taking care of the head liner and leaks found there.
      Much more to do, but we love the beast! Our plans are to retire in
      about a year and a half and head South from Lake Ontario. With
      regard to your question about sail trim, I was reading a article in
      Blue Water Sailing this month called 20 tips for better sail trim.
      Tip #14 stated for Ketches and Yawls: setting proper trim
      stated: "there is a common belief that when setting the trim of
      sails, start with the genoa on a masthead rig and the main, the
      larger sail, on a fractional rig. With a Ketch or Yawl, start by
      trimming the jib or genoa to your course first. The main will have
      to be trimmed tighter compaared to the jib because of the back-
      winding effect. And the mizzen will be trimmed tighter still. When
      all three sails are properly trimmed they will have an even,
      gradually closer trim as you go from bow to stern. This scenario
      will still be the case as the boat heads off the wind until you are
      broad reaching, when the sails are all eased to be perpendicular to
      the wind". Take it for what it's worth. In any case I'm sure we all
      can learn from your experiences too! Again welcome and enjoy your
      new found compatriots!
      Greg

      -- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, "csy_lyons" <csy_lyons@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello, my name is Casey Lyons and I wanted to introduce myself as a
      > new member. My wife Carla and I bought 1973 Islander 41, Dawn
      Treader
      > at the beginning of last summer. We keep it at Semiahmoo, at the
      far
      > north end of Puget Sound. We previously cruised for 3 yrs on a
      > Cascade 29, Briar Rose. That trip took us to Mexico, across the
      South
      > Pacific to New Guinea and Australia, then across the Indian Ocean
      > the Seychelles, and finally up the Red Sea and into the Med. After
      > selling the boat in Cyprus we came back to Washington State and
      began
      > rebuilding our finances and having children. We now have three
      kids,
      > 8, 6, and almost 4, and figured they are just the right age for
      > sailing. The Islander is a great boat for a family, with tons of
      > deck, cabin, and storage space (we were used to 8' feet of beam!).
      We
      > are beginning to formulate cruising plans again, and that feels
      great.
      > I spent a lot more time working on the boat than sailing it
      > last year, taking care of a lot of the same problems I see
      mentioned
      > on this site: mast step, cabin head liner, leaking windows etc.
      Dawn
      > Treader had been completely rerigged (except masts and boom)
      > including a switch to a solent stay, so a lot of our work has been
      > cosmetic. We completely painted the topsides and deck, though the
      > exterior wood trim is still to be redone. I'm just finishing
      > replacing all the plumbing from the faucets, to the water pump, to
      > the holding tank. Not to mention various leaks. I need to replace
      the
      > auto pilot, an antique Benmar unit, and see there has been some
      > dialogue on that. Eventually I will want to install a generator and
      > will look for someone's experience on that as well. My previous
      > cruising taught me that it's all about self steering, electrical
      > storage, and a good down wind sailing arrangement, if you want to
      > stay happy and comfortable.
      > I would really like to know what sail arrangements you all
      > have found work for you and when? The original owner seems to have
      > preferred a double headsail setup with two reaching poles. After
      > snapping a boom at the preventer point coming off a wave by
      > Cocos/Keeling, on the previous boat, I found that system worked
      very
      > well. I also used a cruising spinnaker, though on passages I tended
      > to use it with a pole for better performance. Last summer the winds
      > tended to be very light nearly every weekend we were out, so I
      don't
      > have enough helm time to have any set arrangements. I tend to raise
      > the mizzen first, then main, not being used to ketches, I don't
      know
      > if that is the usual pattern, or if it even matters. I was
      surprised
      > and pleased at her performance to weather. The full keel that makes
      > tight maneuvering slow at the marina really makes for one finger
      > steering under way. Downwind, she was very slow in light airs.
      > Spinnakers, staysails, folding props, all came to mind, when my
      mind
      > wasn't busy answering the kid's questions at the rate of about 200
      > minute.
      > Anyway, this seems like a great site, and I look forward to
      > learning from you.

    • Slip Away
      Message 53 of 53 , Apr 23 7:48 PM

        Hi Casey,

        Lots of great questions, which are fun for me.  Keep in mind it’s my opinion and experience only for the most part, so I’m sure that others, especially in this neat group will have their own thoughts.

        Re autopilots.  Slip Away came with a Benmar Course Setter autopilot.  It steers the boat to a compass heading and uses the existing steering cables.  It’s a simple system, and from what I’ve been told is fairly robust and dependable.  They’ve been around a long time.  So I decided to leave it installed and use it as backup in case the new one crapped out.  The last thing I wanted to be doing is hand steering on a 4 – 30 day passage.

        The new primary autopilot is a Simrad/Robertson AP20 that integrates with the other Simrad sailing instruments and allows us to sail to a waypoint, sail to a compass heading, or sail to a set wind angle.  It necessitated installing a bracket on the quadrant, reinforcing some bulkheads under the aft berth, and installing the relevant hydraulics.  It was a lot of work and expense, but it really works well.  Since it steers from the quadrant, if the steering cables break, we can still steer the boat with the autopilot.

        Whatever you install for an autopilot, I have one unqualified recommendation – OVERSIZE IT!!!  That goes for anchors too!  We have a Bruce 66lb on 300 feet of 3/8” chain.  I’d have a 110 lb Bruce, but I’m afraid it’d kill my windlass.  Our second anchor is a CQR 45 – it came with the boat and looks really tiny to me.  We’ve not used it so far, because I sleep much better with the Bruce out.

         <

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)