RE: [IslanderFreeport41] Night Lights

  • Slip Away
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 6, 2007
      Hi All,

      Would like to second the recommendation by Skip to use the Solar Yard Lights.  We've been out cruising for about 3 years now, and have gone from California to Panama where we are currently.  Nearly everyone out here uses these lights.  They are cheap, take no battery amps, and are fairly easy to see.  We pretty much live our life at anchor, so want the boat to be visible to the pangeros and fishermen in Mexico and Central America who tear around at night with no lights.  We hang one from our bowsprit, and the other from the dinghy davits.  They're not terribly bright so we also hang a "Davis Light" in the cockpit.  Our boat is very visible, and is easy to identify in a dark anchorage when returning by dinghy.  We've found that the lights only last about 1-2 years, but they're pretty cheap.  And the Davis Light is pretty efficient on amps.

      The Aqua Signal anchor light that we have on the boat is great for visibility, but it takes about 3 amps when you turn it on.  In 12 hours that's 36 amp/hrs.  Living on the hook as we do, THAT'S A LOT!  I think there are masthead anchor lights that are LED arrays, which should take much less amps, but ours is integral with our tricolor.  So changing it would be a pain in the ass.  I called Aqua Signal and inquired about a replacement LED array bulb that would fit in the bayonet receptical but they acted like I'd been smoking something funny - clearly they don't live on a boat at anchor.

      The perfect solution would be an LED array that would plug into my Aqua Signal Anchor Light/Tricolor, AND have a photo cell to turn it on & off.  Then if I'm in an anchaorage for a week, I can turn it on and forget it.  Kinda like the simple solar yard lights and the Davis Light work!

      If anyone knows of a solution like this I'd love to hear of it.  Otherwise, if things ever stop breaking, I may build one myself (that'll probably be a while!)

      Thanks for the info!
      Rich
      s.v. Slip Away
      in Isla Coiba, Panama

      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 22, 2007
        I would love to see some pics of your swim step and hard top. How I
        have dreamed of a swim step.

        Steve
        s/v Astrea II

        --- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, William Steele
        <dssteele@...> wrote:

        > I have really enjoyed reading your logbook. Perhpas one day I will
        follow in your footsteps. For now I would like to make the Ba Ha Ha
        Ha run down and back to see how it goes. Then ????

        > The boat is on Isleton near Rio Vista in the Delta. The next
        time you come this way let me know and I will go out of my way to
        hook up with you. My cell phone is 559-341-0449. You can capture my
        email address with this message. You also have done a lot of work on
        your boat. I imagine the two best things I enjoy about my work is
        the hard top and the swim platform. The hard top gives me lots of
        working space for eventually solar panels and provides a great
        sunning platform and place to look around at whatever. I have also
        slept under the stars on the top! The swim platform makes dinghy
        bording a snap except when there is ltos of swell. Then it is
        easiest to board amidship to reduce the up and down motion. It is
        tricky timing your boarding when the stern lifts and drops several
        feet!

        > Good sailing. I look forward to hearing more from you and
        keeping up with your logbook.

        > Signing off,
        > Bill
        > s/v Black Swan

      • William Steele
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 23, 2007
          I keep intending to take pictures the next time I go to the boat but I have been lazy.  Actually I am finishing the aft cabin and have my table saw and tools scattered about forcing me to put bedding and aft cabin stuff in the main salon.  This has made picture taking in the interior difficult without a major reshuffling of stuff.  I have almost finished framing out the aft cabin leaving only sanding and staining.  When that is comlete I can take interior pictures.  I guess I could take some exterior pictures of the hard top and swim platform sooner.  I will try and do that and post them the next time I get to the boat.  I love the swim platform.  It is a huge addition to the boat.  In calm water it makes getting in and out of the dinghy a breeze.  Also, if I dive on the boat I can climb into it with my tank on.  The only down side is when there is a swell.  At times the boat can rise and fall several feet making it dangerous to use the swim platform unless you time the rise and fall just perfectly.  In these instances I use my boarding ladder amidship where the rise and fall of the stern does not effect the boarding.  When I get the pictures posted you can see my design.  It is made out of aluminum as are the hard top "roll bars" and the dinghy davits.  I hope to get some pictures up soon.

          Signing off
          Bill Steele
          s/v Black Swan

          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 23, 2007
            We're all waiting Bill! A hard top has been on the list since we bought the boat 10 years ago....

            Steve/Destiny