Re: [IslanderFreeport41] RE: RE: Choosing the right IF41 - OHHHhhhhh Jeez

  • Dan Dionne
    Message 1 of 33 , Sep 19, 2013
      Jess,
      I used Peter Minkowitz in the San Francisco Bay 8 years ago for his great reputation. Survey took all day in and out of the water. His report was very thorough and fair.  I no longer have his contact number and not sure if he's still surveying.

      Thanks to you all for the valuable information here on this site!!

      Dan Dionne
      S/V "Rayelle"
      Alameda, CA

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 18, 2013, at 5:55 PM, <jesse.harris@...> wrote:

       OHHHhhhhh Jeez  -  OHHHhhhhh Jeez  -  OHHHhhhhh Jeez  :-)  Alright so my offer was accepted :-D  (can I say oh sh!t)  Thanks for the help (lol and support) everyone!!!

      What I was able to do was read the prior survey; and I thought it was missing quite a bit.  I do risk assessments as part of my day job, and was surprised to see how similar a boat survey is and how you can get by with just doing a little rather than a lot.

      That said...  do you have any suggestions for a surveyor on the west coast?  I remember somebody tossing around Len's name, but not sure if that's a real option or not.

      Thanks Again!

      -Jess

      --- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, <islanderfreeport41@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Hey Jess,

      I've read your message and the responses and they seem to be right on track for anyone buying one of our boats.I got a survey that seemed perfect for a 1977 boat. After getting the boat to Annapolis and starting my own survey I came to the conclusion that either the surveyor didn't look at the same boat I bought or the seller paid him off to give such an A+ survey. I unfortunately couldn't be there for the survey. My biggest mistake.

      I have ended up removing both tanks, every inch of wire both AC and DC and the distribution panel, the windows and hatches in the cabin and aft cabin. I tore out all of the "pleather" and replaced it with teak after adding insulation. I had to rebuild the velvet drive and put a dripless stuffing box in. I replaced every thru hull and ball valve. I had all new sails made, replaced all of the standing rigging and found 3 broken chain plates. The hull/deck joint was like a sieve and was redone. What I had trouble with and I'm sure it's the same dilema that most owners face with a 36 year old boat is when to stop the demolition. One project led to another. I am finally on the home stretch but it's been 3 years of rebuilding.

      My plan is to retire on her next Summer and head for the Caribbean. Hopefully I'll be able to live aboard for 10 years and with that in mind I may have done more than necessary but I certainly feel better about the boat and can trust her now not to drown me.

      My boat's name is Post Production and you can see the project with pictures.

      There is a wealth of knowledge and information available on this forum so don't be hesitant in asking advice if you need it.

      Best of luck,

      Dave

      S/V Post Production

      --- In islanderfreeport41@yahoogroups.com, <rich@...> wrote:

      Yep, seems we’ve missed a few too!

      Rich

      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 20, 2013
        Hi Jess. After I had the Genesis surveyed 11 years ago I found out the survayer was not approved by my insurance co. And after a bit of time they accepted the survey. I should have listened to them because I've paid the price for all his mistakes. My suggestion is going through your insurance co. or going through Boat U.S. for qualified and licensed surveyors in your area. One other thing comes to mind is have the U.S. Coast Guard check the boat out, they can tell you if it's Coast Guard approved for safety.Best of Luck... Gene Genesis in San Pedro, Ca.