Re: [IslanderFreeport41] Choosing the right IF41 - OHHHhhhhh Jeez

  • Don
    Message 1 of 33 , Jul 30, 2013

      I am a member of this group and the other group you're talking about called FOGgers. I'm the owner and moderator of the FOGgers so I've heard it all when it comes to fixing up and or upgrading the Freeport 36, and we have members that have spent quite a few bucks on our 30+ year old boats too. Like someone here said I also equate these older boats to classic cars, and you can make them as fancy as you want, but whether it's a classic car or a classic boat they all need some work in time. I considered the IF41 because I really liked the interior room and layout, but I didn't have the money to go through a boat that large. I decided to look at a smaller boat in B or A condition I could afford, that would still leave me money left over for upgrading and or repairs. In my case I went for the IF36 and it's been a good choice for me, but I wish it had the room of the IF41.

      Don
      s/v Grasshopper

      Message 33 of 33 , Sep 20, 2013
        Hi Jess. After I had the Genesis surveyed 11 years ago I found out the survayer was not approved by my insurance co. And after a bit of time they accepted the survey. I should have listened to them because I've paid the price for all his mistakes. My suggestion is going through your insurance co. or going through Boat U.S. for qualified and licensed surveyors in your area. One other thing comes to mind is have the U.S. Coast Guard check the boat out, they can tell you if it's Coast Guard approved for safety.Best of Luck... Gene Genesis in San Pedro, Ca.