Re: [IslanderFreeport41] Holding tank question

  • Keith Gerow
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 22, 2013
      Dick, I can tell you that when we replaced the sewage hose from our front head to the holding tank (under the transmission), the hose ran throught the bulkhead to under the settee. It turned right towards the straboard hull and ran under the floor of the settee. We cut six inch holes in the floor of the settee in each of the compartment to allow us to acccess the old hose out and pull the new hose into the same space. There are stringers of sorts under the floor of the settee that the hose passes through. We fixed the cut outs by using plastic inspect ports that allow access if we every need to replace the hose again.
      Keith Gerow
      SV Prevailing Wind

      Feb 22, 2013 01:04:59 PM, IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      I recently had an issue with a foul smell that was finally resolved by replumbing the macerator discharge pump.  As part of the troubleshooting process I put some slight pressure on the hose from the tank to the macerator inlet.  I heard a bubbling sound from somewhere forward in the bilge.  I suspect there may be an issue in the plumbing of the forward head.  We only use the aft head so we have never had an issue with the forward one.  Is anyone familiar with the waste plumbing?

      Thanks

      Dick Pluta

      AEGEA
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2013
        Hi Guys,
        I had the same hose running from the forward head to the holding tank under the trans too. The length of the hose and the way it sagged and at times ran uphill bothered me.
        That was part of the reasoning in putting the black water tank under the floor of the main cabin.
        The hoses from the forward and aft heads are almost the same length and they run predominately down hill. I'm hopeful very little waste sits in the hoses.
      • kline
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013

        I didn’t like it either so I built-in a holding tank in the space under my gen-set. Shortened the hose about 6’, & it drains downhill from the high-loop in the fwd head. The hose fitting into the holding tank is actually under the settee. I doubled the bulkheads & fbg’d the inside of the tanks so exposed wood. Also you can see the clear ports that show the waste level in the tank. Aft head still dumps into the original tank. I’m waiting for the day I have to pull the engine before I re-do the aft holding tank. I actually like the idea of the people who put their fwd holding above water lvl under the v-berth so they can dump without a macerator pump, & the tank gets washed out in during sailing. I wish I would have read that before I built my 2nd tank.

        Tony

        “Revelation”

        I had the same hose running from the forward head to the holding tank under the trans too. The length of the hose and the way it sagged and at times ran uphill bothered me.
        That was part of the reasoning in putting the black water tank under the floor of the main cabin.
        The hoses from the forward and aft heads are almost the same length and they run predominately down hill. I'm hopeful very little waste sits in the hoses.

      • Slip Away - Rich & Jan
        Message 4 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013

          Hi Dick,

          Sorry I’m a bit tardy in responding.  We’re still in a boatyard and frantically trying to finish up our refit to make our Mar7 splash date.  Keith’s (Prevailing Wind) description of his hoses for the forward head is the same as ours on Slip Away.  The hose runs under the settee.  Unfortunately Islander apparently installed the hose before putting in the floor, and it’s attached to stuff, so I couldn’t pull it out.  Ten years ago when we did our first refit, I wanted to replace the hose, but couldn’t get it out without cutting out the floor under the settee.  So I cut the old hose at each end, and sealed it up – never seemed to smell.  We then installed a new hose under the salon floor that went to the fitting in the holding tank under the front of the engine.

          That’s a sub-optimal approach, as the hose is a long run, and the forward part of the holding tank is only about 8 inches deep – it has to go back about 3 feet before dropping off to the deep part of the holding tank.  So you can imagine the piles of poop that can accumulate there.  The changes others have described in putting a holding tank closer to the fwd head, e.g. the V-berth, seem like a good idea.

          On Slip Away, we’ve been living at anchor for so long, and in countries that aren’t so strict, so I’ve plumbed the fwd head to only dump directly overboard, removed the hose to the holding tank, and removed and glassed over the fitting under the front of the engine.  When in places that don’t allow direct overboard discharge, we just close off the fwd head.

          Good Luck!

          Rich

          s.v. Slip Away

          I recently had an issue with a foul smell that was finally resolved by replumbing the macerator discharge pump.  As part of the troubleshooting process I put some slight pressure on the hose from the tank to the macerator inlet.  I heard a bubbling sound from somewhere forward in the bilge.  I suspect there may be an issue in the plumbing of the forward head.  We only use the aft head so we have never had an issue with the forward one.  Is anyone familiar with the waste plumbing?

          Thanks

          Dick Pluta

          AEGEA

          No virus found in this message.
          Internal Virus Database is out of date.

        • sailingmagnus
          Message 5 of 7 , Feb 26, 2013
            Folks,

            Here is some more holding tank knowledge for everyone: I quite accidentally discovered the location of our holding tanks 14 years ago while doing a blister job on Magnus. I hauled Magnus out in fall of 1997 and discovered a bunch of blisters. I had the bottom striped and proceeded to grind out the larger blisters. Several on the side of the keel under the engine kept weeping and I couldn't figure out why.....so I drilled a small hole and out poured gallons of water. I used the time on the hard to clean the bilge and discovered several access ports in the bilge beneath the engine, trans, and aft head floor. I also discovered this document from Islander answering the previous owner's question about how big the tank is/was

            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/iBctUeHtTvlVG5dNpG7MtBdmc0dHEN3uDUnzvSLpFS-yQFllZhsVVtVF2x7MF_1x4ZsRLF0XYIs6cp1LYinfUA/Fuel%20%26%20Water%20Tanks/Holding_Tank_Letter.bmp

            So in short here is what I think I know. We have 5000lbs of lead shot cast into the hull as ballast under the water/fuel tank main salon area. Behind this and beneath the engine is a 60 gallon tank for black water. Behind this tank and under the aft head is a 20 gallon grey water tank for the aft shower.

            These tanks are just the interior of the fiberglass hull, under a plywood subfloor that is glassed over to form the bottom of the bilge. I believe some of my blistering problem started from the inside out...when you consider the toxic waste that sits in these tanks for extended periods it attacks the fiberglass. I drained my tanks, pressure washed them, vacuumed them dry and let sit for 2-3 months. I then used an undercoating gun (think rubber undercoating for a car) and sprayed into the tanks epoxy barrier coating in attempt to completely seal the inside of the tanks and protect the fiberglass.

            My aft toliet has a short drop right into the tank. My forward has a longer run but it's all downhill. I have had clogging problems from the forward head using the original mix of hoses and PVC pipe. When I replaced it all with white 1 1/2" vacu hose my clogging problems stopped. For discharge overboard I have a Sealand vacuum/diaphram pump for emptying the tank or use the deck fitting for shore side evacuation.

            Has anyone noticed all the chrome vent pipe's on the side of the cockpit and wondered what they are. You should have four 1) water tank, 2) fuel tank, 3) holding tank, 4) grey water tank. To avoid foul orders in the cockpit while sailing I found this made a big improvement for the holding tank vent

            http://www.airforcefilters.com/

            I don't consider myself a sewage expert per-say but I do know a lot of s%$t and thought I'd share, as this was a big mystery to me the first few years of ownership.

            Scott s/v Magnus

            --- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, "kline" <baka@...> wrote:

            > I didn't like it either so I built-in a holding tank in the space under my
            > gen-set. Shortened the hose about 6', & it drains downhill from the
            > high-loop in the fwd head. The hose fitting into the holding tank is
            > actually under the settee. I doubled the bulkheads & fbg'd the inside of the
            > tanks so exposed wood. Also you can see the clear ports that show the waste
            > level in the tank. Aft head still dumps into the original tank. I'm waiting
            > for the day I have to pull the engine before I re-do the aft holding tank. I
            > actually like the idea of the people who put their fwd holding above water
            > lvl under the v-berth so they can dump without a macerator pump, & the tank
            > gets washed out in during sailing. I wish I would have read that before I
            > built my 2nd tank.
            >

            > Tony
            >
            > "Revelation"

          • Slip Away - Rich & Jan
            Message 6 of 7 , Feb 27, 2013

              Hi Scott,

              Wow, you really know a lot of sh - - on this topic!  Sorry, I couldn’t resist.  Seriously, great info – a lot of this I didn’t know.  Our configuration is slightly different (e.g. no grey water tank), but useful info.  We too use the Sealand Macerator Pump, and it’s been very reliable.  For draining the shower, we have a “Whale Gulper” pump that can run dry with no problem and dumps directly overboard from the shower drain.  We can turn it on when going into the shower, then turn it off when done.  Nice and tidy.

              One other note for everyone that I had posted sometime in the past, but is appropriate for this subject.  About 7-8 years ago I was having difficulty emptying our holding tank, both by the shore pumpout deck fitting as well as the Sealand Macerator.  Long story shortened, a bunch of the calcium-like-sandstone pieces that get in our hoses and head pumps as a result of combining sea water and urine had also gotten into the holding tank over the years.  They were getting into the pick-up tub in the tank and blocking it.  If the seaway was a little rough (e.g. crap sloshing around in the tank) I could randomly get the macerator to empty it.  We left the USA, so didn’t have to use the holding tank.  I put 5 gallons of vinegar in the tank and left it there for a year while we cruised and it really helped.  Then when we repowered I was able to get to the access ports under the engine and see to clean the tank properly.

              Not really looking forward to Australia and having to haul our poop along with us again, but it should make the anchorages a bit more “swimmable”, especially in the mornings.  Some things are better to just not think about.

              Take care, Scott.  Hope all is well with you.

              Rich

              s.v. Slip Away