Water heater

  • jonkhart
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012
      Ok - time for some opinions on my hot water needs :)

      The previous owner installed a 12 gallon electric water heater which is seem going overboard. . . It is worthless unless you are on shore power, so not meant for people on a mooring ball.

      In talking to a friend, he is steering me towards the same heater, but then with engine heat circulation. Bad thing about that would be that I would have to run the engine, or time showers with trips.

      In Holland we are very used to tankless water heaters, and I am finally starting to see them more and more here in the US - So, I was thinking, why not in the boat? Pretty simple system? Water in/out, exhaust pipe, propane in.

      So, on the aution site they have something like this:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281018520027

      It is a Marey GA5LP Propane LPGas Demand Tankless Hot Water Heater 1½GPM for $160.

      Not marine grade - will eventually rust - open flame, etc. etc.

      What do you guys think?

      Arjen.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012
        Brad formerly of Big Tuna installed one on his boat and he loved it. I looked in to doing this also. I ran in to a road block with the insurance company. They will not cover the boat if the unit is not UL Listed Marine. You may want to check this with your insurance company. You do not want to sneak it on because if they see that and there is a claim they will deny any claims. My freind on Windscape has a unit that is Marine listed but the cost is around $1,500. I cant remember who makes it.

        Dave
        Canta Libre.

        --- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, "jonkhart" <arjen@...> wrote:

        > Ok - time for some opinions on my hot water needs :)
        >
        > The previous owner installed a 12 gallon electric water heater which is seem going overboard. . . It is worthless unless you are on shore power, so not meant for people on a mooring ball.
        >
        > In talking to a friend, he is steering me towards the same heater, but then with engine heat circulation. Bad thing about that would be that I would have to run the engine, or time showers with trips.
        >
        > In Holland we are very used to tankless water heaters, and I am finally starting to see them more and more here in the US - So, I was thinking, why not in the boat? Pretty simple system? Water in/out, exhaust pipe, propane in.
        >
        > So, on the aution site they have something like this:
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281018520027
        >
        > It is a Marey GA5LP Propane LPGas Demand Tankless Hot Water Heater 1½GPM for $160.
        >
        > Not marine grade - will eventually rust - open flame, etc. etc.
        >
        > What do you guys think?
        >
        > Arjen.

      • Kallberg, Ralph T
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012

          Fortuitous has a Bosch 125K (about $1000) This is a demand heater

          Since I am in the tropics now,  I don’t really need to  use it, but when I did – it worked fine.

          The only problem was that I needed to go into the engine room to fire it up.

          The old one I had had an electronic igniter that started on water flow. Unfortunately they don’t make them anymore.

          Ralph

          Fortuitous

          Brad formerly of Big Tuna installed one on his boat and he loved it. I looked in to doing this also. I ran in to a road block with the insurance company. They will not cover the boat if the unit is not UL Listed Marine. You may want to check this with your insurance company. You do not want to sneak it on because if they see that and there is a claim they will deny any claims. My freind on Windscape has a unit that is Marine listed but the cost is around $1,500. I cant remember who makes it.

          Dave
          Canta Libre.

          --- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, "jonkhart" <arjen@...> wrote:

          > Ok - time for some opinions on my hot water needs :)
          >
          > The previous owner installed a 12 gallon electric water heater which is seem going overboard. . . It is worthless unless you are on shore power, so not meant for people on a mooring ball.
          >
          > In talking to a friend, he is steering me towards the same heater, but then with engine heat circulation. Bad thing about that would be that I would have to run the engine, or time showers with trips.
          >
          > In Holland we are very used to tankless water heaters, and I am finally starting to see them more and more here in the US - So, I was thinking, why not in the boat? Pretty simple system? Water in/out, exhaust pipe, propane in.
          >
          > So, on the aution site they have something like this:
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281018520027
          >
          > It is a Marey GA5LP Propane LPGas Demand Tankless Hot Water Heater 1½GPM for $160.
          >
          > Not marine grade - will eventually rust - open flame, etc. etc.
          >
          > What do you guys think?
          >
          > Arjen.

          The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
          Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
          If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
          If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012
            Hi Y'all,

            Destiny here. This was a pretty funny topic on the first cruise! We were OK when the outside temps were in the upper 90's in Florida and the Bahamas in June, however, once it started to cool down and we moved north, we called the PO to find out how to turn on the hot water heater. Lo and behold, there wasn't one! The Admiral was not happy. We bought solar bag showers and ran the hose through the aft shower port. Next time out, we installed a Super Stor 6 gal engine heat exchanger/electric unit. We have never used the electric feature as the engine heats the water and it has such good insulation that it just stays hot between runnings. It's really simple and in the 9 month cruise, we never had to run the engine just to get hot water. You just plan your showers around engine run times.

            Best of luck,

            Steve

            SV Destiny Oklahoma

            Brad formerly of Big Tuna installed one on his boat and he loved it. I looked in to doing this also. I ran in to a road block with the insurance company. They will not cover the boat if the unit is not UL Listed Marine. You may want to check this with your insurance company. You do not want to sneak it on because if they see that and there is a claim they will deny any claims. My freind on Windscape has a unit that is Marine listed but the cost is around $1,500. I cant remember who makes it.

            Dave
            Canta Libre.

            --- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, "jonkhart" <arjen@...> wrote:

            > Ok - time for some opinions on my hot water needs :)
            >
            > The previous owner installed a 12 gallon electric water heater which is seem going overboard. . . It is worthless unless you are on shore power, so not meant for people on a mooring ball.
            >
            > In talking to a friend, he is steering me towards the same heater, but then with engine heat circulation. Bad thing about that would be that I would have to run the engine, or time showers with trips.
            >
            > In Holland we are very used to tankless water heaters, and I am finally starting to see them more and more here in the US - So, I was thinking, why not in the boat? Pretty simple system? Water in/out, exhaust pipe, propane in.
            >
            > So, on the aution site they have something like this:
            >
            > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281018520027
            >
            > It is a Marey GA5LP Propane LPGas Demand Tankless Hot Water Heater 1½GPM for $160.
            >
            > Not marine grade - will eventually rust - open flame, etc. etc.
            >
            > What do you guys think?
            >
            > Arjen.

            The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
            Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
            If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
            If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
          • Slip Away - Rich & Jan
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2012

              Hi Arjen,

              Slip Away has a similar water heater as you.  Ours is made by Seaward (would probably buy a different brand next time – don’t like the company).  We have a 5KW Genset that I normally run every couple of days to top off the batteries.  During the latter half of the charge cycle, the load on the Genset is considerably reduced, so I turn on the water heater to put additional load on the genset.  Works out nice, and we have plenty of hot water normally.

              Ours is also connected to the engine cooling system, so anytime we are motoring we have plenty of hot water then as well.

              BUT . . . we’re in New Zealand on the hard now, so no Genset time, and since we’re a 120VAC boat, no shore power.  And we think it’s damn cold here compare to what we like (50F at night, 60’s during the day).  Consequently the boat water is freezing!  On the other hand, the refrigeration hardly runs at all and the beer is REALLY cold.  But I digress.  If we cook something greasy (infrequently), I heat up some water on the stove and use it to help cut the grease when doing dishes.  Otherwise, the cold water works fine.  And we’re showering ashore, so that’s not a problem.

              We too, like Steve Ellsworth, have used a good solar shower to heat water – they work great and save energy.  But probably 75% of the time we normally shower using warm water from the water heater.  Incidentally, we’ve found the solar shower uses less water than the boat shower.

              I’d love to have on-demand hot water like Ralph.  The two concerns I have would be safety, which is solvable, and how much it would increase propane consumption – plus the cost.  We carry two 20# propane tanks and get about six months out of that.  For us, I wouldn’t want to decrease that by much.  Propane is often difficult to come by and/or expensive, depending on where you are.

              So that’s our take on it.  Best strategy is to stay where it’s warm – we’re looking forward to getting to Fiji!!!

              Rich

              s.v. Slip Away

              in Whangarei, New Zealand

[...]

              No virus found in this message.