RE: [IslanderFreeport41] heat exchanger

  • Slip Away - Rich & Jan
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 5, 2012
      Hi Dick,

      Sorry to be so late with a reply; we've been on a road trip thru the parks of the Pac Northwest for the last month (unlike the boat, nothing broke for the whole trip!!!) and just got back to LA to begin our preparations to return to New Zealand the end of this month.

      We replaced our original heat exchanger for the Chrysler-Nissan some years ago.  We got the replacement from a company in New York; it fit perfectly and worked great, and as I recall wasn't all that expensive.  Here's the info:

      Lenco Coolers
      Marty Lenco, owner
      690D Albany Avenue
      Amityville, NY 11701-1123
      613-842-4049
      The part# of the cooler we got was LE3619136

      Hope this helps.  All the best!
      Rich
      s.v. Slip Away

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 6, 2012
        Thanks a million.  We won't be going back until after the New Year but I'm already looking ahead, not always with pleasure.  I'll check with Lenca since they are right in our back yard.  We are in Central NJ.

        The other issue I have to face is my window project.  I replaced all the windows and glued them on with Sikaflex.  Before I went ahead I did a number of tests with various adhesives and found that only the Sikaflex, when used with their primer, stuck.  Well, it's now been two seasons and one just fell off.  I guess I have to go to plan B.

        I had the new windows made one inch oversize all around but the window openings were so sloppy there was little overlap in some areas, so I've been fighting leaks constantly.  My plan for finishing the inside was to take the old frames, trim them down so they were flush with the inside of the glazing and adhere them in place with more Sikaflex.  Then I'd take my magic vibrating saw and trim them flush with the interior.  Finally I plan to make up wood trim rings and screw them into the old frames.  Well, plan B is to continue that process, except I'll drill right through from the inside and fasten the windows with screws from the outside using every other original hole.  I'll use the other holes to fasten the wood interior trim in place.

        The moral of the story is that if it seems too good to be true it probably is.  It was just too easy.  Short of using something like 5200 adhesives just don't seem to be up to the job.  I don't much like the look of screws but there doesn't seem to be much choice.

        Dick