A New Photo Album

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2011
      Hey Group..
      I managed to create an album of my boat's rehab. I'm just getting started but making progress.
      I've named her Post Production formerly Kachina from Oklahoma. The guy I bought her from had her briefly and named her Ballerina.
      . The wiring is coming along altho slowly. I went one gauge larger than I figured I needed and I'm probably overdoing it but am having fun so I don't really care. I decided on safety wire (red/yellow) at the suggestion of the ABYC. It seemed to make a lot of sense.
      The water tank was a mess as the photos show so I'm really glad I decided to pull it out. I couldn't see from the inspection hole what I eventually found when I cut the top off the tank. I dug out about 10 pounds of calcium and sand. I had to cut the tank into 4 pieces because the boat is shrink wrapped and I couldn't get it thru the door. What a job using a sawsall.
      My next plan of attack is to remove the old fuel tank and replace it with a 200 gallon one at the suggestion of Rich on Slip Away and do it before I put in the new water tank. The old tank developed a leak so the previous owner cut it open and dropped in a 65 gallon and fortunately there was no diesel odor when I cut up the floor. I'm going to see if I can get in touch with Richs' friend Steve about filling the gaping holes in the floor with new tanks.
      It's probably pretty obvious where I'm spending my days off of work!

      Dave
      s.v. Post Production on the hard in Annapolis
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2011
        Dave:

        Thanks for posting the pictures! You are doing a great job on the wiring; much better than mine. Love the new panel.

        Best of luck on the water tank. I an certain we need to do the same, but we just had an old gate valve break under the sink in our lake house while we were away. We have a walkout basement and it was flooded. Mold was just starting to grow and we thought our boats were a lot of work. We're stable now, but have no kitchen. Like the tank, we were going to tear it out anyway; we were just given a headstart!

        Keep up the good work and having fun!

        Steve

        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2011
          Steve
          Thanks, I think the wiring is going to be relatively easy to track down any problems that might come up. I'm going to do as much LED lighting as I can so the load on any part of the system isn't going to be much I figure. I probably overdid the wire gauge a bit but figured it's not going to hurt.
          I wired most of the boat with 10/2 and after I pulled in the wire I knew I needed I pulled in 2 spare runs forward, 2 in the main cabin, 2 in the nav station and 2 in the aft cabin. After all was done I took a step back and said "what the hell am I going to do with all these spares and what was I thinking?"
          I've got + and - buss bars everywhere and am going to wire all lights and devices with primary wire to them.
          I couldn't believe my luck with the distribution panel. It's a Blue Sea 8095 and when I got the measurements I thought it was never going to fit. 19.5" long and when I measured the boat, the hole from pantry trim to engine room door trim was 19.5". It fits perfectly. It's got 8 AC breakers and 29 DC. I ended up with 3 unused DC breakers. I put another Blue Sea 8 beaker DC panel at the nav station. I like being able to order specific labels from Blue Sea. It makes it look a little neater.
          My sympathy on your flooding. While I was moving the boat from Florida to Annapolis my basement flooded and I stopped the trip, packed up the boat at North Myrtle and trucked her home so I could get home to clean up the mess. Fortunately no mold just a lot of water and mud.
          Best regards, Dave
        • Kallberg, Ralph T
          Message 4 of 5 , May 3, 2011

            What did you pay for the Blue Sea Panel?

            Ralph

[...]

            The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
            Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
            If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
            If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
          • Dave
            Message 5 of 5 , May 3, 2011
              Hey Ralph...

              Blue Sea wanted $1500 so I shopped around and bought it from Defender for $950.