Re: [IslanderFreeport41] Port manufacturer or replacement options

  • rcdoty9816@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
      I would like to know if anyone has removed the original window frames without damage so they could be used again? Anyone?
      Cheers,
      Skip
      Pretty Penny

      From: Slip Away - Rich & Jan <rich@...>
      To: IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 7:16 PM

      Hi Judy and Mike,

      Welcome to the group.  This group has been a tremendous resource for us, and was started shortly after we bought Slip Away, a 1978 IF41.  My wife Jan and I have owned her for nine years and lived aboard for eight.  We cruise full time, and the group has been a lot of fun, as well as very helpful at times.  It's amazing how much information is available from so many of the members.

      First, we have a website: www.slipaway.net.  If you go there, we have a section titled "Refit" that describes most of the projects we've done on Slip Away if you're interested.  If memory serves me correct, we did a page under projects we did in Ensenada Mexico, about replacing all our windows.  We bought the replacement windows from Mark Plastics in Corona, CA.  They are the same windows Islander originally installed in the IF41.  You remove the rings from the inside of your windows and send them to Mark Plastics and they will make new windows based on the dimensions of the rings you send them.  Also, our window holes were poorly cut, so I was able to have the windows made slightly larger as needed, then smoothed out the holes for a good snug fit.  I just told them how much larger I wanted each ring (horizontal and/or vertical).

      Mark Plastics was easy to work with and not terribly expensive at the time.  However, I heard their prices have gone up dramatically since.  The phone number I have for them is (951) 735-7705.  The owner's name is Mark Heacox.  And as I said above, they are in Corona, CA outside of Los Angeles.

      HOWEVER!!!  If I had it to do again I would replace the windows with the aluminum framed ones manufactured by Bomon that Steve Ellsworth mentioned.  A number of members have gotten replacement windows from them and it sounds like they have been very happy with them.  And I think the price is not too much more than Mark Plastics plastic windows.

      The problem I have with the Mark Plastics windows is that the "glass" in them is plastic (acrylic, I believe).  After a couple of years our new windows began to craze just like the old ones had been.  I called Mark Heacox and discussed the problem.  He said unfortunately that was an issue with these windows and the type of "glass" used.  He said nothing could be done about it, but that it didn't affect the strength of the windows as they aged.  We still have the windows, and looking straight out of them everything appears fine.  But at certain angles, the crazing really affects seeing out of the windows.

      It's my understanding (and others will correct me if I'm wrong) that Bomon windows come with aluminum frames and safety glass.  With the safety glass, they should stay crystal clear.  So, if we had it to do over, I'd use Bomon's windows.  I know Steve Ellsworth has used them, as well as Scott Lewand on Magnus.  A good friend of mine (Steve Nall on Cadre) has bought replacements for the three forward cabin windows from them, but hasn't yet installed them.  All are members of this group.  I helped Steve Nall with his order, and have a very favorable impression of Bomon's professionalism.

      Steve Ellsworth also mentioned Newfound Metals as a source for opening hatches.  We have installed one of their hatches in the side of the coaming opposite the engine room door (not sure if IF41's came with a hatch here, but ours did.  I replaced the Lewmar hatch with a Newfound Metals one and am VERY happy with it.  It's an extremely strong, well made product at a pretty reasonable price.  We also have opening 7" x 12" opening hatches in the aft stateroom at the head and foot of the berth.  A previous owner installed them.  When they wear out, I plan to replace them with Newfound Metals models.

      Incidentally, if you plan to live aboard, these hatches at the head and foot of our bed are wonderful!  We have a caframo fan that we hang in front of the hatch at the foot of the bed and it blows air in from that hatch and has kept us cool almost everywhere for the past 9 years.  If I bought another IF41, I'd put those hatches in before moving aboard!  And at anchor, they almost never get rain in them so can stay open during passing squalls.  Very comfortable.

      So, good luck.  Ours has been a good boat and has taken us to some wonderful places.

      Rich & Jan
      s.v. Slip Away
      in Papeete, Tahiti

      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
        Yes, I removed the old windows and reused the frames. It's been a few years but as I recall, I drilled the ends off the rivets holding the halves of the frame together, got new rubber to go around the glass from a window shop and hand riveted them back together. The glass was all in perfect shape so I didn't see any reason to replace it. The problem for me was in putting them back I got lazy by the time I got to the starboad side and didn't seal them as well. Now I have to pull them out and redo those two this spring.
        -Casey
        Dawn Treader

        --- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, rcdoty9816@... wrote:

        > I would like to know if anyone has removed the original window frames without damage so they could be used again? Anyone?
        > Cheers,
        > Skip
        > Pretty Penny

      • sailingmagnus
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 1, 2011
          Folks,

          I used http://www.diamondseaglaze.com/ for my 12 relacement salon windows and http://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm/method/Shopping_list/CatId/57.htm for 7 of the hull ports.

          Diamond Seaglaze made me Cadillac windows at Cadillac prices. IE Aluminum frames powdercoated white with 1/4" impact resistant safety glass. Yes on the main salon the hull has some curvature but the glass and frames had enough give to flex the 1/8" over the 3' window length fine. I think I used 5200 so there was enough adhession force to keep em in there along with the aluminum backing frames. Been in there 6-7 years now without a leak. Glass will never craze, dull, cloud and I use solar films on them to reduce the glare/heat load coming in through the windows in the cabins. There are several interior pictures in the Magnus album, I'll try to upload more

          Regarding the portlights, I agree with Rich New Found Metals are the bomb but I would not want them sticking out on the sides of the hull. I used Scandvik mainly cause there import warehouse/facility is about 40 miles south of me and I was able to get a great end of year deal. I made all of the port lights opening, including the transom which provides great ventilation for sleeping. They are aluminum framed with 3/8" thick lexan with plastic dogs and generous (good) rubber seals. They came with screens but I rarely if ever use them.

          I have no regrets on these upgrades. Spend the money for the right solution and you will not find yourself having to replace them again in the future or deal with leaks ever again....

          Scott s/v Magnus