Re: [IslanderFreeport41] Re: leaks into vberth

  • rcdoty9816@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
      I use baby powder to dust for leaks. It smells better, its easier to dispense and is easier to clean up.
      Skip
    • rich@slipaway.net
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
        Hi Jim & Lance,

        Regarding the leak in the V-Berth, when we purchased Slip Away it too had
        serious leaks in the V-Berth area (despite the previous owner saying it was
        "dry as a bone". Turned out it was "dry as a bone" because they never sailed
        it. We bought the boat in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico and brought it north up the
        Baja - that was a bit of a rough trip, and the V-Berth area was SOAKED when we
        arrived in Ensenada, Mexico!

        I had been told before buying the boat that the IF41's had a problem with
        leaks in the hull-to-deck joint. I fixed the problem by first removing the
        teak cap rail. I then scrapped out all the old (original) bedding/sealing
        compound. It appeared to me that they had used Dolphinite, which had dried up
        over time.

        I cleaned the joint out with acetone, then recaulked it using 3M 5200. On
        both the port and starboard curve of the bow, the fit of the hull-to-deck
        joint was very bad - there was a gap of up to 3/4 inch. Before recaulking, I
        used pieces of wood to shim it up. Hopefully I won't regret using wood, but
        if it stays dry I'm hoping it won't rot.

        I then replaced the original fasteners (flat head self-tapping screws) with 1/
        4 inch flat head bolts with nyloc nuts. The original spacing of the fasteners
        was about 12 inches. Because of the large gap in the forward half of the
        joint, and because this seemed to be a high-stress area, I drilled additional
        holes and installed the bolts about every 6 inches on the forward half of the
        joint.

        Since finishing this project in 2002, we've put a little over 5,000 miles on
        Slip Away, traveling throughout Mexico and Central America. We've been in
        weather that has given the hull-to-deck joint a good test. So far, it's
        completely dry. It was a big project, but we're very happy with the result,
        and very happy we did it.

        Good Luck!
        Rich
        s.v. Slip Away
        in Bahia del Sol, El Salvador

      • brockwestin
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
          -Rich

          How hard was is to remove the cap rail.....did it come apart with
          out damage?

          Lance

          -- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, rich@... wrote:

> [...]
          > > noticed that the bottom of the cabinet was wet but the floors
          were
          > > not. I did just get off the phone with Jay and the former owner
          of
          > > his boat and was told that the hull to deck joint was a problem
          > > area. Apparently the material used to seal the two together was
          not
          > > that great. So removal of the teak rail and resealing the joint
          > > should be a good bargaining tool when I am purchasing. I did see
          > > pics of someone doing just that on this site.
          > >
          > > Lance
          > >
          > > - In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, jim cody <cody100@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > lance
          > > >
          > > > i also have a small leak into the vberth portside cabinet and
          am
          > > > working on tracing it now. if i find the answer, i'll post it.

        • Jack V J
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
            rich,,, cant believe they used self tapping screws and not thru bolts,,,,,well theres another project for the list. sounds like you did it right. ill be duplicating what you did.       thanks     jack

            Quoting brockwestin <brockwestin@ yahoo.com>:

            > --Jim,
            >
            > The leaks seem to flow down the hull from above but I cant tell from
            > where or how high up the side of the hull before losing sight. I
            > noticed that the bottom of the cabinet was wet but the floors were
            > not. I did just get off the phone with Jay and the former owner of
            > his boat and was told that the hull to deck joint was a problem
            > area. Apparently the material used to seal the two together was not
            > that great. So removal of the teak rail and resealing the joint
            > should be a good bargaining tool when I am purchasing. I did see
            > pics of someone doing just that on this site.
            >
            > Lance
            >
            > - In IslanderFreeport41@ yahoogroups. com, jim cody <cody100@... >
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > lance
            > >
            > > i also have a small leak into the vberth portside cabinet and am
            > > working on tracing it now. if i find the answer, i'll post it.
            > >
            > > jim cody
            > > 805-968-4124
            > > On Sep 30, 2006, at 6:13 AM, Jay Hafner wrote:
            > >
            > > > Jeff, I have toured the tarpon springs if you want some
            > additional
            > > > details please call me. I am fimilar with the recent history.
            > > > Jay 251-709-7256
            > > > --- In IslanderFreeport41@ yahoogroups. com, "brockwestin"

            > or
            > > > HARMONY
            > dont
            > > > think I
            > Both need
            > > > stepped
            > has
            > > > alot
            > from the
            > inside
            > this? I
            > > > am
            > repairs to
            > diesel
            > find much
            > you
            > > > could

          • jim cody
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
              excellent. i just changed my plan and will use baby powder.
              jim cody
              805-968-4124
              On Oct 1, 2006, at 7:08 AM, rcdoty9816@... wrote:

              > I use baby powder to dust for leaks. It smells better, its easier
              > to dispense and is easier to clean up.
              > Skip

            • jollymon1979
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                --- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, Jack V J
                <captjackedenton@...> wrote:

                Hi Guys,
                Anna and I have done the same. The hull to deck joint provided us
                with half full coffee cups of water in the galley and a soggy v birth
                as well. We began tackeling the project last Fall. We were in a new
                barn for the winter and had a dry place to work. I bought the top
                end little giant latter "system" which was a great investment.
                Drilling out the pugs and finding both screws and through bolts made
                the job a lesson in patience (yes there was some minor breakage but
                nothing gorrila glue and some clamps couldn't take care of. Anna
                stripped off all the old varnish and finished the teak with cetol (sp)
                (sorry I,m the world's worst speller). Two weeks of vacation in the
                Spring found me scraping out the old bedding and cleaning the joint
                with acitone. I definately slept like a rock after each day's
                wrestling. I too was amazed at how some things were screwed in and
                screws and bolts so close together you could hardly fit a wrench to
                them. Long fingers and the build of a contortionist are definately a
                must. Once things were very clean 3M 5200 was also our weapon of
                choice. I didn't skimp and gooped as mush into the joint as I could,
                sometimes leaving glops on the hull inside (scraped it up and am
                going to cover the sins with nice fresh paint anyway). We screwed and
                bolted the joint back together (remember only do a short section at a
                time)and began setting the caprail back on. I used multi caulk as a
                bedding because it is supposed to be able to handle the teak oils.
                Again, gooped it up pretty well. Refinished with cetol and spent six
                hours a pop getting the sail track back on. I replaced most of the
                bolts. Although I havent put it through several thousand miles of
                shakedown there are no more leaks in the v birth and the dishes are
                staying dry. This winter's project is the cabin deck, hand rails,
                hardware and the head liner in the salon. I am an eternal optimist
                and look foreward to 2008 when Jolly Mon heads South. Hang in there,
                be patient and don't quit!
                Greg

              • rich@slipaway.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                  Hey Jack,

                  Yep, I was pretty surprised too at the self tapping screws. Check first
                  though. A friend of mine told me that his actually had the thru bolts with
                  nuts. Probably just depended on what Islander had available on the day they
                  did this part of the build. I love the boat, but the quality of some of the
                  work leaves a bit to be desired. But that's probably part of the reason I can
                  afford one! It's satisfying tho for me, when I think I've fixed it right and
                  made it better.

                  All the best to you,
                  Rich

                • rich@slipaway.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 1, 2006
                    Hi Lance,

                    It wasn't too difficult to remove the caprail. I used a small screwdriver to
                    carefully chip out the plugs. The previous owner had caulked the underside of
                    the caprail in places, apparently to try to stop leaks. For the most part it
                    was not a problem, as non-adhesive caulk was used.

                    I only had a couple of difficult areas. The stern port corner had been
                    removed and rebedded at some time in the past. An adhesive caulk was used,
                    and the teak broke in trying to remove it - that stuff REALLY sticks! I
                    repaired it with West Systems epoxy with a filler, repairing the break, and
                    building up part of the underside that had split off and stuck to the adhesive
                    caulk.

                    The second difficulty was with the caprails themselves. When Islander built
                    the boat, they drilled the countersinks for the screws too deep. The result
                    was that only an eighth to a sixteenth of an inch of wood was left to hold the
                    caprail to the fiberglass. Of course over the 25+ years of the boat's life
                    these screws broke thru the wood. To repair it, I chiseled out sections of
                    the teak on the UNDERSIDE, and epoxyed in strips of 1/4" x 1" x about 4" teak.
                    I sanded it smooth, then redrilled the holes countersinking the screws
                    properly. It worked out very well, and is invisible from the top surface of
                    the caprail.

                    Another idea I just recently heard from a friend - Steve Nall on Cadre. His
                    caprail was very dry and brittle. Based on the recommendation from a
                    woodshop, he built a trough, filled it with oil, and soaked his teak caprails.
                    He said it worked well to "reinvigorate" the wood. Our wood wasn't that dry,
                    so wasn't necessary.

                    Hope these ideas help. If you need pics, I can send them, but not for another
                    month - we're currently off the boat and traveling.