Latest chapter

  • Dick Pluta
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
      For those who might be interested, here's the latest list of discoveries.

      Whoever bought this boat spared nothing.  Anti corrosion system, Halon fire extinguisher system and much more.  Thanks to the PO, however, none of them work.  I'm busy taking out those I don't want and will, sooner or later, restore those that I do want.  In the meanwhile I'm in stripping mode, both deck paint and surplus wire.

      Deck stripping is going OK.  Aft cabin roof done and looks good.  First run at the aft deck and looks like it will also do well.  Then the waterways until the whole stern is done.  I'm not sure what I'll do next but ut's not as bad a job as I feared.

      This is the first time we have been aboard in a serious rain and it's been a blessing.  I have been able to locate a lot of the pesky leaks that I have only known of by their tracks.  Thankfully, the hull/deck joint doesn't seem to one of the worst.  Surprisingly, the chain plates are, and it's a good thing they are leaking.  I started with the aft port lower main shroud and it's rusted almost in half.  Tomorrow I'll check the rest but it's clear there is another high priority project on the list.

      It's only been three weeks and I've gotten more done than in the last two years.  Who knows, maybe this tunnel does have an end.

      Best regards,

      Dick
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
        Dick:

        Sounds like your boat and ours are sister ships with twins for owners!

        Fortunately for us, we didn't get to take Destiny on a sea trial before we had her pulled. While sitting in yard, the port Mizzen chainplate let go. Sounded like a goose hit the rigging!

        After pulling them all, most you could bend in half with your bare hands. We replaced all we could get to and were obviously very concerned about the lower attachments that are bedded to the deck. I decided to beat them as hard as I could with a big hammer and if they broke, then I'd fix them. They didn't budge and are still doing the job.

        Another place you need to look is at the supports under the mizzen and main. The main compression post sits on an iron I beam that is glassed in below. Undoubtedly it is really rusty and needs priming and painting. Same for the Mizzen support below the aft shower....

        To make you feel better, I pulled three large black trash bags full of deadheaded wiring and non working equipment from Destiny after the Gulf Stream engine room fire. You either work on her now or while you're cruising (Or both as in my case on cruise #1). Cruise #2 was uneventful.

        Good luck and thanks for these updates!

        Steve

        SV Destiny Oklahoma