Re: [IslanderFreeport41] Circuit breakers

  • Ron Barnhart
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
    • 1 Attachment
    • 2 KB
    Hi Dick,

    Here is the scoop. The breakers I have on my boat are Potter & Brumfield breakers distributed by Tyco Electronics. You cannot buy direct from them, but they list many of their vendors from whom you can purchase these. I got mine from Boat Electric in Seattle. But they do not order them very often, and are frequently out of stock. I dropped by today to check their inventory for you. They only have one each of various sizes. Also, their prices are about $38 apiece and you can get these elsewhere, on the web, for about $25 each. I'll explain how.

    W31-X2M1G-10 is the part number for a 10 amp breaker.

    These have nickle plated toggles with the amp rating stamped in the end of the toggle. I attached a picture of the breaker so you can be sure this is the article you are looking for.

    Go to the Tyco Electronics website.      http://www.tycoelectronics.com/

    Search by key word for "potter and brumfield circuit breaker". There will be a lot of results. (300 +)

    Look in the lower left of the screen, and you will see listed "Toggle Color" Silver Metal, Round with Amp Rate Marking (14).

    Click on this and you will see the breakers which I believe you are looking for. These are what I have on my boat.

    Once you have the list of breakers displayed with the pictures that look right, click on Check Pricing & Availability to see a list of vendors.

    Click on Buy to go to the vendor's website, see the price and place your order.

    I checked Allied Electronics, which I have purchased from before, and saw they sell them for about $25 each.

    Best of luck Dick. Hope this helps.

    Ron B.
    S/V Kuokoa
    Seattle, WA
    Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2009
      Many thanks.

      Dick

      [Attachment(s) from Ron Barnhart included below]

      Message 3 of 20 , Jul 12, 2009
        Hi Dick.

        Just to let you know that I bought 3 20amp & 3 15amp circuit breakers about 4 years ago to replace some of the broken ones and have back up's.. At the time I purchased them I think I paid something  like 200.00 so the 35.00 sounds right for the price, "here is the good news"... since then I replaced the old panel with a new paneltronics board... the old panel is somewhere on he boat along with the new breakers.... so next time I get back there I will look for them & bring all of it home with me so I will know what I have... at least the price will be better!

        At home landlocked.. until the engine is done. I need a new oil pan for my Chrysler 6 33

        Gene off the Genesis

        Message 4 of 20 , Jul 12, 2009
          Gene,

          Thanks a lot.  That sounds like a plan.  I have found a lot of these breakers on e-Bay for very good prices but they are often 1s and 2s.  There was a lot of 25 that sounded great but they were all 40 amps.  I'd be very interested in your panel.  One of my major projects is cleaning up the electrical system.  Some of the breakers do nothing.  Some of the systems, like the electric head and the propane controls, are wired direct to the + terminal of the house battery.  It's a mess and making me nuts...just like the deck and the varnish and the windows and the pumps and...well, you get the idea.  I was having leakage problems in the fresh water system and got in the habit of turning off the pressure water system when not in use.  That, of course, drove my poor wife nuts and she asked me to explain the electrical panel to her.  HA!

          Oh well, the joys of the older boat.

          Best regards,

          Dick

          Message 5 of 20 , Jul 12, 2009
            Hi Dick,

            I replaced several circuit breakers on my panel (A Newmar, made in Newport Beach CA - the origional). These are Direct replacements! 1 5/8" between mounting screws, the body is 2" long, 3/4" wide, 1 5/8" deep. My panel had 15A breakers for the three AC cabin breakers - I replaced them with 20A.

            Got them from Downwind Marine, 2804 Canon St, San Diego, CA. 92106.  $25.00 Each
            I talked with JD
            Wed site: downwindmarine.com
            E-mail: info@...
            Phone 619-224-2733
            Fax: 618-224-6783

            Thank God we don't get all the government we pay for.

            Message 6 of 20 , Jul 12, 2009
              Gene,

              I had to replace the pan on my Chrysler 33 last year.  I developed lots of pin holes and of course all the oil leaked out.  Cost about $2000.00 buy at least the pan was available.

              Jim S/V Interlude
              Westport WA.

              A penny saved is a government oversite!.

              Message 7 of 20 , Aug 8, 2009
                Hi Jim
                Just to let you know I found an oil pan from Jesco, it's just that it is different in a way that it's has a smaller sump pan, it will fit, it's just that I was wondering where you found your pan, also is it the same type as the one you replaced?
                  "It's getting harder to find part's for these engines"

                Gene on the Genesis
                San Pedro, Ca.

                Message 8 of 20 , Aug 9, 2009
                  Gene,

                  Can't tell you where the new pan came from, my mechanic got it for me.  But it was the same as the old one.  As I remember the big thing was the number of bolts holding it on. Yep! you right parts are getting tougher to find but this same engine is used in Tractors all over the world so I suspect parts will be available - just have to look in different places.

                  Good luck,

                  Jim on the Interlude

                  Message 9 of 20 , Aug 10, 2009
                    You might try your local Toyota lift truck dealer.  This engine was used in their lift trucks.  My dealer in New Jersey was a great help finding a starter.

                    Dick Pluta
                    AEGEA

                    On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 8:10 PM, James Lempe <oldtimealaskan@...> wrote:

                    Gene,

                    Can't tell you where the new pan came from, my mechanic got it for me.  But it was the same as the old one.  As I remember the big thing was the number of bolts holding it on. Yep! you right parts are getting tougher to find but this same engine is used in Tractors all over the world so I suspect parts will be available - just have to look in different places.

                    Good luck,

                    Jim on the Interlude
                    Westport WA.

                    A penny saved is a government oversite!

                  • Slip Away - Rich & Jan
                    Message 10 of 20 , Aug 27, 2009
                      Hi Dick,

                      I assume you're talking about the original Potter Brumfield breakers.  Try a web search.  I found them a couple of years ago and bought a bunch of spares for $25-$30 each.  Don't remember who I bought them from.  They are still available, as they are still used in older avionics applications.  I remember using them centuries ago when I was a USN Aviation Electrician.  Yep, they're OLD!

                      You can also get them from Downwind Marine in San Diego, but more pricey.

                      Rich
                      s.v. Slip Away
                      in Cartagena, Columbia

                      Message 11 of 20 , Sep 15, 2013

                        I'm about to tackle my electrical panel and replace a number of circuit breakers.  I've looked for the Tyco/Siemens/Potter Brumfield breakers and they are really expensive. Has anyone found a suitable substitute?

                        Dick Pluta
                        AEGEA
                      • Ron B
                        Message 12 of 20 , Sep 15, 2013
                          Hello Dick,

                          I just replaced all of mine as they were starting to fail more frequently.

                          I ended up biting the bullet and going back with the same Potter Burmfield breakers. They were a bit spendy, but I justified it with not having make revisions associated with a full panel replacement.

                          The whole job was straight forward and took a long afternoon. Hopefully it will last for another 30 years.

                          Best luck at finding a lower cost replacement. I am sure others would appreciate that if you can locate a source.

                          Best regards,
                          Ron

                          SV KuoKoa
                          Seattle

                          Ron Barnhart

                          Message 13 of 20 , Sep 15, 2013

                            Hi Dick,

                            I remember buying a stock of them 10 years ago when we left, then also bought some extra spares about 3 years ago.  I don’t recall them being too expensive – I think I last bought them on line listed as Potter Brumfield.  I got the original supply from Downwind Marine in San Diego and I think they had a really good price.  Might check them out on line or via phone or email.  Good Luck!

                            Rich

                            s.v. Slip Away

                            In Hermosa Beach, CA (just back for a wedding)

                            I'm about to tackle my electrical panel and replace a number of circuit breakers.  I've looked for the Tyco/Siemens/Potter Brumfield breakers and they are really expensive. Has anyone found a suitable substitute?

                            Dick Pluta

                            AEGEA

                            No virus found in this message.

                          • Slip Away - Rich & Jan
                            Message 14 of 20 , Sep 16, 2013

                              Hi Dick –

                              We did buy some circuit breakers about three years ago on-line from Chief Aircraft – www.chiefaircraft.com .  We also bought some on-line about six years ago from www.aircraftspruce.com

                              Jan

                              s.v. Slip Away

                              Message 15 of 20 , Sep 16, 2013
                                I'm not sure what PB circuit breakers you have but you could check Ebay, they have a few differenc styles that seem reasonable.

                                Patrick Fox
                                S/V Subira
                                Freeport 36 Hull 100

                                Message 16 of 20 , Sep 16, 2013

                                  I found this website to have very competitive prices on the breakers.

                                  http://www.gopherelectronics.com/store/pc/showsearchresults.asp?pageStyle=P&resultCnt=&order=4&keyword=W31-X2M1G&x=26&y=8

                                  Dave

                                  formerly Canta Libre