Re: [IslanderFreeport41] Boom gallows

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi Brad:

      Always interested in the hard top ideas! Please post/send pictures of what you are making/contemplating!!!

      We removed ours about 5 years ago and like the look without them. Not to mention the added safety of not hitting my head on them often (I'm slow learner...)

      Hope your project is coming along well.

      Steve

      SV Destiny Oklahoma

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2009
        Hey all,

        Well I procured a radar arch from a local used stuff outlet. Monday I dropped it off at a local welder for widening and shortening. Unfortunately, I miss calculated the rise from the gallows to the dodgers aft end and we are a little short for headroom. Now with new measurements we'll take it back. I have figured 4in in hight is needed. Now this has added another issue, the main sheeting system could potentially bottom out on the new traveler. We are going with the Harken Big Boat system with dedicated winch(standard to most of our boats). If I can't get the clearance then we are going to look at mid sheeting with three points on the boom.
        The plan for the hard top is to finish the framework for the aft(bimini) section then build the forward section to it. The two halo's will then be welded together. It might make more sense when I put up photos. The hard top material will be of two 1/4 inch sheets of starboard heat welded together.
        Somewhere in the middle of all this we will be starting to replace the hull port lights with New Found Metals tinted glass, a new windlass, and when I can get my Dad back down here the bamboo floor will get installed.
        whew..................................................................

        Feel free to chime in.

        Brad, Niki, Dawn, and Bernard the cat
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2009
          Go for it. You guys are awesome and this boat is going to be something else!

          Good luck Brad and please post the pictures.

          Capt. Steve

          SV Destiny Oklahoma

          Message 5 of 6 , Jul 11
            Victor,

            Thanks for the pictures! When you have a chance can you tell me the thickness of the pipe?

            Thanks,

            Dennis

            Sent from the Wind Horse

            On Jul 11, 2017, at 8:25 PM, Victor Hoisington victorhoisington@... [IslanderFreeport41] <IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com> wrote: