Yet another question

  • Dick Pluta
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
      Well, the adventure continues.  We pulled up to the Jupiter bridge on Sunday, put the boat in neutral to wait for an opening.  The bridge opened, I put the boat in gear....NADA.  No forward, no reverse.  Got towed (no towing insurance, $450) to a marina ($110 per night) and called a repair service ($104 per hour).  The vvibration damper, which connects the flywheel to the transmission, is stripped.  He's looking for one now and isn't sure if the transmission input shaft is in good enough shape to accept the new damper.  If not, and here's the question, does anyone know the model number of the Velvet Drive on our boats?  Help!

      Dick Pluta
      AEGEA
      Juno Beach FL in transit to Naples FL
    • Kallberg, Ralph T
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009

        Hi Dick

        For my 1979 Islander Freeport with the 6 cylinder Chrysler Nissan, the tranny is a Borg Warner model 71C direct drive, with reduction (model 10-17-013 with a 2.91:1 ratio).

        Regards
        Ralph
        Sv Fortuitous
        Currently anchored near Panama City, Panama

        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
          Hi Dick,

          I've got a velvet drive on our '76 but it's got a Perkins Engine.  If it will help I will email you stats when I get back home 5:00 Pacific time.

          Ray
          S/V Pure Joy

          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 7, 2009
            Dick,

            Same number as Ralph's.  (71c)

              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 8, 2009
                Dick:

                Just so you don't feel like the only one:

                We were gone 12 months and fought problems like you the whole time. Fuel tank went out in Marsh Harbor, etc. We were headed back and just made the last stop in Green Turtle when all the transmission fluid leaked out. We used the dinghy to push ourselves into White Sound.

                Hoping it wasn't too bad, I bought all the fluid I could find in GT and took a mooring. A few days later I tooled around the anchorage at idle and it only leaked 1/8 qt. per hour! Any higher and it gushed out what looked like the front seal.

                So we left and let the engine idle all the way back when we weren't sailing. When the boat got back to Texas, it wouldn't run from the ramp to the slip. Paid Cedar Mills Marina to pull it and replace the seal. Very ugly job. Expensive too. It still leaks some.

                Hang in there, at least you are back in the USA.

                Steve

                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 8, 2009
                    Dick,

                    Welcome back...sorry you had such a rough trip.  Of course we're appreciative of all your writings even about the not-so-good times as we're getting ready to leave in August and head south from Seattle to Mexico etc.  I'm pretty much a realist so it helps to at least anticipate things that may go wrong. To be honest,  I never really gave the tranny a tought  as it's never given me a lick of trouble....but as almost everything else has gone out or given us fits, I don't know why I assumed the transmission was immune...(shrug)...now down to double check it....I guess all I can do is make sure there's oil in it???

                    Anyway...You're right about these boats and their age...fortunately our P.O. took pretty good care of it, and we've lived aboard now for the last year or so, thus we're becoming more familure with it's idiosyncracies. but when you reported your tansmission problems all I could think of was Oh S%^T...forgot about the damn transmission!...wonder if it's got any oil in it and stuff like that.  I pretty much have spare everything else but Sandy (my wife) says "enough extra parts already!" and "No you can't take an extra transmission just because Dick's boat conked out"....I tried to warn her but she insists that I can't hang it from mizzen boom or tow it in the dink with the extra engine and other parts!"

                    Kidding aside...glad you made it back okay...really points out the benefit of having Boat US coverage etc.

                    Thanks for sharing and good luck on repairs.

                    Ray and Sandy
                    S/V Pure Joy
                    Olympia, WA

[...]

                    • Slip Away - Rich & Jan
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 12, 2009
                        Hi Dick,

                        We're in a place for a change where we have an internet connection, so have been able to catch up on some of the recent IF41 reading.  Sorry to hear of your adventure in FL with the vibration damper.  These kind of things are so frustrating.  Just wanted to send a note of encouragement though.  It did get better for us eventually.

                        The POs had lived aboard Slip Away for about 8 years prior to us purchasing her.  And the PO's also saw themselves as "Cruisers".  I was sufficiently naive as to take that as fact and think the boat was ready to go.  They did live aboard for 6 years in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico - BUT, they only took the boat out of the slip once every year or two for a weekend out.  Otherwise, I think they mostly just drank.  Slip Away looked pretty, but on the trip from Puerto Vallarta to Los Angeles just about everything broke.  My naivete was summarily shattered!

                        We spent a couple of years refitting her, then set off cruising.  It took another year or so of full time cruising to get her comfortable for our needs & wants, and to work the bugs out.  But now, pretty much everything works, and when it does break, I've usually already fixed it before, so have an idea what to do.  It's still astounding how frequently stuff breaks though - I've not yet quite adapted to that.

                        It's interesting to see the change in my perspective though.  We still like to go to boat shows and are often back in Annapolis visiting family at the time of the Annapolis show.  Now when I see all the nifty stuff they have on display at the shows, I find about 80% of it to be something that I'd never buy.  It's either too complicated or I'm pretty certain it'd not endure the conditions for long at all.  I stand back and listen to the sales pitches, and all the customer Ohhing & Ahhhing and sure hope those folks are just weekend cruisers - otherwise it'll be a painful learning curve.  And it's exacerbated it you cruise outside of the USA.  At least in the USA you can get parts and replacements easily - outside of the USA it's NEVER easy as far as I can tell.

                        Our watermaler experience is a perfect example.  I researched the heck out of them before refitting Slip Away.  I chose a Spectra Ventura 150 (5 gal/hr; 8amp/hr 12VDC) unit because they had a reputation of being innovative and efficient.  Anyway, it failed completely three times; all while we were outside the USA and parts were very difficult to come by.  Spectra's support of their product and providing replacement parts past warranty was excellent, but it didn't help much when the parts couldn't be shipped to where we were.  I concluded that their reputation for innovative design and efficiency, as well as excellent customer support were probably well deserved - but pretty much useless for our situation.  It just didn't help when we were sitting in Zihuatano, Mexico or the western islands of Panama and couldn't get parts sent there.

                        What I needed was a watermaker that just worked all the time.  So I replaced the Spectra with a 20gal/hr 120VAC unit that we run with our Genset.  I bought it from a guy in Curacao (Watercraft Watermakers) and it's assembled from all generic parts (CAT pump, electric motor, Koch membrane) that I can get in most places around the world.  It's very robust and simple.  Can't tell you about his customer support 'cause I've never needed it - the unit just works!  Plus it was half the price of the Spectra.

                        Anyway, living aboard and cruising full time outside of the USA puts very different demands on the boat and the cruiser than if you do it part time or just cruise the USA.  If you're going to venture away from the USA for extended periods, the KISS approach will make for much less frustration.

                        Anyway, I'll shut up - this has segued a bit farther than I intended.  Enjoy reading your posts.  Hope the Admiral gets happier with Aegea soon!

                        Rich
                        s.v, Slip Away
                        Currently in Port Royal, Roatan, Honduras

                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 13, 2009
                          FYI

                          I had a transmission leak too in Zihuatenejo, Mexico and had visions of having to pull the tranny (Borg Warner Velvet drive) and have it rebuilt in Mexico - not a happy thought. Also the thought of losing 3 or 4 months of cruising.

                           I am reasonably mechanical and I thought the worst - I thought the seals had gone.  Anyway, I did call in a Mexican 'Maestro". He and his helper were in the engine room for at least an hour, wiping the casing, getting it to run in forward and reverse... It turned out that the O-ring on the shifter shaft had worn out. I had a n O-ring kit and 30 minutes later - no more leak.

                          What a relief. It it were up to me I would have the tranny pulled and off  to ???? for servicing.

                          On another occasion (motoring off the coast of Guatemala in the middle of the night) I had no forward or reverse. Turns out the tranny oil cooler sprung a leak and blew the tranny fluid out with the cooling water - there  was no oil in the bilge so it took me a while to figure out the problem. Fortunately, I had a spare cooler and after a few oil changes to get rid of any salt water, we were back in business. Now after several hundred hours later on the tranny, it still runs just great.

                          Ralph
                          Fortuitous
                          In Panama

                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 14, 2009
                            Frequently things are not as bad as they seem.  As you know, we just lost our prop but the good news was that I now know the prop shaft is good.  I could have had a broken shaft.  I planned to store the boat on the hard this summer and do a thorough inspection. The curious thing is that none of the problems we encountered was on my list.

                            I think the most important thing is to be a knowledgeable consumer.  Every time I pay someone to go into the engine compartment I hover and learn something.  This time I learned that, good news, we have a dripless shaft seal. One less thing to worry about.  The bad news is there is a water cooling connection on it.  One more thing to worry about.  I also discovered that, in the engine manual, there is an excellent diagram of the cooling system.

                            Our trip from Norfolk to Nassau two years ago was really a transport hop.  Because of our house issues there I wasn't really able to spend time with the boat, so this trip is really our shakedown cruise and I'm beginning to get more familiar with the systems.  At least I'm not having my troubles in Mexico or Panama.

                            Regards to all,

                            Dick

                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 14, 2009
                              Dick,
                              The engine manuel you referred to in your latest email,  where did you obtain or may I talk you out of a copy?
                              Thanks,
                              Charles Bridges
                              REVELATION
                              Kemah, TX

                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 16, 2009
                                  Many thanks on the manuel thing.  The fellow I purchased my boat from left nothing, I mean nothing on the boat and disappeared.

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 16, 2009
                                    To all:

                                    The Nissan SD 33 is used in forklifts and was used in International Scouts. Please see the info from the Scout enthusiasts site below for where to buy the manuals. JESCO in Ceres California may also have them.

                                    "A separate manual for the Diesel engines is available from Binder Books, or Scout Light Line vendors, which are listed in the vendors section.

                                    For the Nissan SD33T turbocharged engine (IH IN-633-T) used in the 1980 model Scouts, use CTS 2790.

                                    For the Nissan SD33 engines (IH IN-633) used for 1976 thru 1979 model Scouts, use CTS 2711.

                                    Operation & Maintenance manual for the SD33 engine is 1087109 R1

                                    The following information is from Nathan Henry:

                                    I located a SD33 service manual at a local forklift dealer. The manual is about 3/8 in thick, it is fairly comprehensive. It covers: disassembly/assembly, oil system, cooling system, fuel system, electric system, test procedures, service data, and more. I would not be afraid to attempt an engine overhaul with this manual. The manual I have is a Nissan diesel engine service manual for models SD22, SD25, SD33, SD33T. The manual is written by Nissan Diesel Motor co.,ltd Tokyo, Japan. It was issued May, 1992."

                                    Steve
                                    SV Destiny Oklahoma

                                    > Many thanks on the manuel thing.  The fellow I purchased my
                                    > boat from left nothing, I mean nothing on the boat and
                                    > disappeared.

                                  • Hans Loffeld
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 16, 2009
                                      There is  a Chrysler/Nissan SD22/SD33 manual for auction at Ebay right now. I have seen them there for auction from time to time, often from Australian sources. I got my manual that way for about $30.

                                      Hans
                                      Excalibur