RE: [IslanderFreeport41] Oil Cooler cleaning

  • Kallberg, Ralph T
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2009
      I have  a question on sacrificial Zincs for the Chrysler Nissan 633.

      I have a zinc on the main raw/FW heat exchanger (seems to need replacing about once every 6 weeks when traveling),

      Other than that there was no zinc on the external oil cooler (my new one does have a zinc) nor one on the transmission oil cooler (Borg Warner Velvet drive)

      I am not aware of any zincs on the engine block.

      Can anyone shed some light on where the zincs need to be??

      Regards
      Ralph
      s/v Fortuitous
      Islas Secas
      Western Panama

      The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.
      Its contents (including any attachments) may contain confidential and/or privileged information.
      If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents.
      If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete and destroy the message.
    • Ron Barnhart
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 1, 2009
        Ralph,
        There is a zinc that is approximately opposite and below the engine coolant fill cap on my engine. Don't know if they all have one there. I replace it once a year or so.
        Ron B.
        SV KuoKoa
        Seattle

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
          Last year I had the same type of over heating problem. I replaced
          both oil and trans coolers. They are cheap, and much easier than
          trying to clean them. I replaced my heat exchanger,(wasnt cheap),
          rebuilt the raw water pump, replaced the fresh water thermostate, and
          cleaned and flushed all the lines out. Took off a hose and started
          her up....water was coming out like Niagra Falls. Back together, she
          still overheated. As most of you know, the exhaust thru hull on
          these boats is so low to the waterline that when you think water is
          rushing out, it can be mostly exhaust air blowing the water up from
          the water line. I even laid on the dock trying to feel if water was
          coming out, not easy to tell. It was my exhaust elbow. When I took
          the elbow apart, she was a mess. The water ports on it are pretty
          small, and they were clogged up badly. You might be able to clean
          yours out, but I didnt see the point, since I had replaced so much
          already, why take the chance. It was too hard taking it apart in the
          first place. I never want to do that one again. She has not over
          heated since. Now I have a spare exhaust elbow...Like I will ever
          need that. I suggest you check everything else b-4 you take it apart
          tho, as it is a real suck job. But quite a learning experience, I
          must say.

          Good Luck,
          Brenda & Sailin Suzie
          S/V Neverland
        • rcdoty9816@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
            Where did you get your exhaust elbow from? Mine looks pretty bad on the outside so I would hate to see the inside. Also a bad exhaust elbow clogged on the exhaust gas side can make your engine smoke and run like crap. Thanks in advance for the info.
            Skip and Paula
            Pretty Penny

            **************
            Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499. (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1217883258x1201191827/aol?redir=http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;211531132;33070124;e)
          • Sidney coburn
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
              What type of engine do you have?   Sidney
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                Yeah, I guess that would help. Ha. I have the original Chrysler Nissan 33SD diesel.
                Skip

                **************
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                  Well, I think Neverland is right on the money. It has been 10 years since the exhaust elbow went out and it was really hard to find. We had Frank at Marine Pro somewhere near Jacksonville I think build a new one with a lot more height to it. Along with replacing all the other coolers like Neverland, we raised the exhaust exit about a foot when we hauled out and re did the bottom. The present location not only makes it hard to see the cooling water coming out, it creates a lot of back pressure when you are on Port tack because the outlet is so far under water. Raising it does mean that you can potentially let water run into the muffler from wave action against the side when on Stbd tack, however, I put a rubber "Flopper Stopper" from the powerboat business over the outlet. This has all worked very well and we can now look over the side and see the cooling water coming out directly.

                  Hats off to Neverland for bringing this up; they're right on target. I'm attaching a shot that has the new elbow on it just barely to illustrate how much higher it is than the old stock one.

                  Thanks for the post.

                  Capt. Steve

                  SV Destiny Oklahoma

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                    Hi Skip   The one thing that is commmand on the Nissan is the risers and elbow as they are off a Chrysler gas engine you can look the parts on the web @
                    marineengineparts.com at the present time they have a good price on the riser $79.95 part/no. for them are Chrysler 6" riser P/N CM 20-6674, Chrysler Elbow 90-degree P/N CM-20-2847405 they are made by The 4 and the 6 cylinders use the same parts.
                    Sideny

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 7, 2009
                      Thanks a bunch. that is really great info I thought I would have to make some up myself out of stainless. I will check it out and order them. Thanks again.
                      Cheers. Skip

                      **************
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 2, 2009
                        Hey Pretty Penny,

                        So very sorry this post is coming so late. I have not been on this
                        group since my last post. SORRY. I got my exhaust riser from

                        Egge Marine Service
                        1501 W. Anaheim Street
                        Long Beach, Ca. 562-437-4779

                        Where are you located?

                        This is prolly way too late for you, I will try to pay more attention
                        to this site in the future. How did your overheating problem turn
                        out? Hope it is all resolved by now.

                        I have been forced to move off the boat due to ankle surgery, and
                        have been out of touch. Funny story. I broke my ankle and tore
                        ligaments by falling off the boat while putting up X-mas lights. Bah
                        Humbug!!!!!

                        Good luck
                        Brenda

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 3, 2009
                          HI Brenda, Thanks for the reply although the new exhaust system is in place. Sorry to hear about your ankle. Not a nice way to spend Christmas although Christmas lights on a boat are always my favorite Christmas decoration. I always have lights on my boats.
                          By the way I bought the riser and elbow from marineengineparts.com. Total was $199 including shipping which I thought was a real good deal. Got the info from Sidney on our site.
                          Speedy recovery, good winds
                          Skip

                          A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1219957551x1201325337/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)