Re: [IslanderFreeport41] Starter issue

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
      Sad but true. My brain is working the same as yours, Dick. It's a costly thing on a boat as I buy stuff to bring then can't find it, then can't remember if I bought it or not!

      Skip is correct; there are two necessary for the starter to work. Relay is a poor choice of words as they are both actually called solenoids. There's the external one and the internal one. If you've got a new starter, the internal one that engages the starter drive gear is probably OK. The external one is probably not. That's the little one you bought from Blue Sea or NAPA, etc. for about 30-50 bucks or so.

      Email us when you get down there if there's a problem.

      Best wishes for a happy sailing season!

      Steve

      SV Destiny Oklahoma

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009

          Dick:

          Got the following off the internet. Made up the attached diagram from Destiny's wiring. All of mine has been re wired. It's a good exercise to do so you know how to trouble shoot it later as it used to be a nightmare on my boat following the deadhead wires to nowhere. The glow plug solenoid is wired the same way. I can give you a diagram of that side too if it would help.

          Good goal to spend more time on the water! I'm going to try to spend more time at the lake and therefore possibly on the water. It's still a few years off to get Destiny back on the ocean.

          Cheers!

          Capt. Steve SV Destiny Oklahoma

          When the ignition switch is moved to the START position (Or the start button is pressed in), battery voltage is applied to the external starter solenoid (A). The circuit through the pull-in winding inside is completed in solenoid (A). The windings work to magnetically  pull in and hold in the plunger inside to complete the circuit througth the big lugs to the starter motor. IF SOLENOID A IS CASE GROUNDED, YOU MUST GROUND THE CASE. IF NOT, YOU MUST RUN A GROUND WIRE TO ONE OF THE TWO SMALL TERMINALS TO COMPLETE THE CIRCUIT WHEN THE START BUTTON OR SWITCH IS ACTIVATED.

          This action causes power to flow to the starter solenoid (B) to force the drive assembly into the flywheel and to rotate at the same time and engage the flywheel ring gear on the engine. Starter may have the engine ground wire attached to it or it may be attached to the engine somewhere else. Make sure the connections are clean on ground side too!

          New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines. (http://www. aol.com/? ncid=emlcntaolco m00000026)