Gallows

  • tekguyonroad
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
      Greetings,
      I am about to purchase a Freeport 41 and have noticed most 41s have a
      boom gallow installed. Mine doesn't and doesn't exhibit any holes. How
      necessary is the boom gallow?
      Thanks,
      Hank, Redwood City, CA
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
        Hi Hank:

        They are really necessary if you want to bang your
        head on them every time you head aft in a hurry and
        forget they are there. Otherwise, forget it.

        We took ours off and have never regretted not having
        them. If you are planning on sailing around the world
        and want a very secure place to lash the boom just
        before you roll the boat, then I'd probably keep them.
        We used to call ours the "Roll Bar"!

        Have a good one and enjoy your new boat!

        Capt. Steve from SV Destiny/Oklahoma
        --- tekguyonroad <tekguyonroad@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        > I am about to purchase a Freeport 41 and have
        > noticed most 41s have a
        > boom gallow installed. Mine doesn't and doesn't
        > exhibit any holes. How
        > necessary is the boom gallow?
        > Thanks,
        > Hank, Redwood City, CA

      • Slip Away - Rich & Jan
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2008
          Hello Hank,

          Steve Ellsworth's comments seem logical, and the gallows does get in the way sometimes (yep, I've hit my head on ours).  However, in our case there is another consideration.  We have a full cockpit enclosure, which I'd NEVER give up.  It' s wonderful in the tropics and also when you're in places where it gets nippy out.  It's actually the "room" we spend the most time in rain or shine.  Without the boom gallows, as I understand it, the mainsheet is attached to the deck at the base of the Mizzen.  If that's the case, when sailing with the boom to port of starboard, the mainsheet would foul our cockpit enclosure.  So, I'm glad we have our gallows, and am willing to deal with the occasional head knock.  Keeps me from getting too smart . . .

          They're great boats.  We've put about 12K miles on ours in the last 5 years.  Good luck!

          Rich & Jan
          s.v. Slip Away
          in Carolina Beach, NC

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
            Hi all

            I agree with Slip Away's comments.

            Fortuitous coming from the PNW also has an all weather enclosure built in two parts; the dodger and a 'bimini"'. They are both Sunbrella over removable ss frames. We have plastic windows that zip in and will completely enclose the cockpit and this becomes our sunroom (or rain/wind shelter) or the 'extra' room. When we were in Mexico, we had screens made that zip into the same zippers that we used for the plastic windows.
            We can also remove the entire dodger and bimini if necessary..

            Like Rich and Jan, we wouldn't trade our for anything.

            Ralph and Cheryl

            s/v Fortuitous
            on a mooring ball in
            Bahia de Caraquez, Ecuador

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
              Hank,

              I am going to list my IF 41 which is in the Delta near Antioch in CA. I am curious what you are going to give for yours. I know this is personal information and have no problems with you chosing not to give me the asking - purchace price paramiters. If you don't have a problem with this, you can email me at bssteele@... so that the information stays between us. Also, I would love to know which boat you are buying since I have seen many on the web. Perhaps you are the new owner of that nice IF41 listed in Sausalito?

              Concerning the gallows, I have twin gallows on mine. I have the standard aft gallow plus I custom designed a gallow just forward of the main winch. My windscreen connects to the forward gallow and my full enclosure is designed to go between the forward and aft gallows to give me my screen porch. I have a hardtop placed between the two with a ladder going up to the hard top where I can sun, furl the main, or whatever. I also have the main track on the hardtop just forward of the mizzen. After owning your boat you may have a better idea whether or not to go with them.

              Best of luck,

              Bill Steele s/v Black Swan