Re: sd-33 need engine dimensions, and weight?

  • Jay Hafner
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
      --- In IslanderFreeport41@yahoogroups.com, Steven Ellsworth
      <stevenellsworth@...> wrote:

      > Per Nissan shop manual:
      >
      > 662 lbs w/o fluids or tranny.
      > 39x22x31 (lwh)
      >
      > Let us know what she goes for.
      >
      > JESCO has a brand new SD33 for $ 7250 if anyone is interested.
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > Jay Hafner <sailawayjnl@...> wrote:
      Help all, I need dimensions and weight of my engine I have on EBay.
      > Can you send me an aprox or best case.

      Thanks Steve,
      I am still with engine. I cannot get anyone to buy it for the price I
      am asking. So here goes. Send an email request for info about
      contents and then make me an offer!!!! Let's negotiate. (I want to go
      electric)
      eBay direct link for images and explanation. Vetus muffler system
      included in deal.
      http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEUS%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220184881920&rd=1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
        Hi Jay:

        A few years back I ran across two MD-33's that were running take outs like yours that the guy wanted $ 900.00 each for. They were for sale for over a year when I found them and I don't know if he ever sold them. Basically the issue is the labor to install these engines is so high that it doesn't make sense to install a used one or even a rebuilt non standard engine such as the MD-33. Myself not included, most would not have them. I think they make a lot of sense as they are bullit proof if you maintain them and can be re sleaved in the boat if you want to.

        I would suggest calling JESCO and seeing what they would entertain for offers to buy them outright or do a consignment for you through their website. I'd  work on the assumption that you are not going to get much if anything for it then be happy if you find a buyer.

        Depending on where you are located, Frank at Marine Pro in Florida might be worth a call to see if knows of any cruisers that need an engine.

        I have torn everything I can off of mine and am re painting and replacing all the hoses, etc. to see if I can get 10 more years and several more cruises out of her. She really seems to like the new 5W-40 Mobil One synthetic oil. Still running strong since 1975!

        Good luck to you. I think you are doing the right thing by going electric. Make a whole lotta sense on a cruising boat.

        Capt. Steve

        <stevenellsworth@ ...> wrote:

        > Per Nissan shop manual:
        >
        > 662 lbs w/o fluids or tranny.
        > 39x22x31 (lwh)
        >
        > Let us know what she goes for.
        >
        > JESCO has a brand new SD33 for $ 7250 if anyone is interested.
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > Jay Hafner <sailawayjnl@ ...> wrote:
        Help all, I need dimensions and weight of my engine I have on EBay.
        > Can you send me an aprox or best case.

        Thanks Steve,
        I am still with engine. I cannot get anyone to buy it for the price I
        am asking. So here goes. Send an email request for info about
        contents and then make me an offer!!!! Let's negotiate. (I want to go
        electric)
        eBay direct link for images and explanation. Vetus muffler system
        included in deal.
        http://cgi.ebay. com/ebaymotors/ ws/eBayISAPI. dll?ViewItem& ih=012&sspagenam e=STRK%3AMEUS% 3AIT&viewitem= &item=2201848819 20&rd=1

      • David Yawn
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2008
          Steve and Jay,

           Thanks for the info we are benefiting from in regard to the engines. I am on this site to gain knowledge about the boat( dont own one but I will someday) and how they are being outfitted for cruising/sailing, and especially how to live "off the grid". I am curious about " going electric" and if that means pulling the engines and replacing them with electric motors and transmission. Do they run on a generator or battery? How does this process work? Any sites that explain this further?

          Thanks in advance for the replies I am sure to see, and thanks to the people that also post on here!

          Dave