Moez Masoud: Preaching Islam of Love

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2008
      Preaching Islam of Love
      Sun. Feb. 24, 2008
      IslamOnline.net & Newspapers

      http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?c=Article_C&cid=1203757354738&pagename=Zone-English-News/NWELayout

      CAIRO — In his gatherings and TV shows, young
      televangelist Moez Masoud speaks about relations
      between men and women and Islam's view of music and
      art.
      "I’m just about everyday things, you know?" Masoud
      told the Sunday Telegraph in an interview published on
      February 24, as he prepared for an event at a Cairo
      hotel to discuss romantic love and marriage in Islam.

      "It’s about keeping it real," added 29-year-old
      Masoud, who is usually dressed in stylish Western
      clothes.

      A rising star in the world of Islamic da`wah, he
      reaches out to millions of people, mostly young men
      and women, via TV programs broadcast on satellite
      channels across the Middle East.

      Masoud, who holds a BA in economics, talks about
      Islam's message of love and tolerance, encouraging art
      and music and socializing with members of the opposite
      sex, as long as encounters are chaste.

      He preaches that Muslims should hate the sin of
      homosexuality, not the sinner, and encourages women to
      pursue fulfilling careers.

      His ultimate goal, Masoud says, is to fight against
      those who dangerously abuse Islam in today's world.

      "It scares me. It scares me because you can build so
      much and they just tear it down so quickly."

      He recorded an episode of his latest show, "The Right
      Path", in London to denounce the 7/7 terrorist blasts
      that killed 52 people.

      Masoud recently penned a song about Gillian Gibbons, a
      British teacher jailed in Sudan after allowing her
      students to give a teddy bear the name Mohammed, which
      some considered an insult to Islam.

      "I felt it was a horrible misrepresentation of some
      childish, infantile people who happen to be cultural
      Muslims."

      Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir pardoned Gibbons
      thanks to the good offices of British Muslim peers
      Lord Ahmed and Baroness Warsi.

      Personal Journey

      Masoud says that talking to young Muslims about
      challenges and temptations they face fits him because,
      for a long time, he was on the other side himself.

      Raised in an affluent Egyptian family and brought up
      in American schools in Kuwait and Egypt, he led a
      party-hard lifestyle of alcohol, drugs and dating.

      "For a while, I just went with the flow," he told The
      Telegraph.

      "Coming from a rich, or at least better-off family,
      and going to American schools, the flow was partying,"
      he recalls.

      "I didn’t think it was wrong. I just did what came
      naturally."

      Masoud came to discover his right path the hard way.

      At first, he lost three of his closest friends to a
      drugs overdose, a car accident and to cancer.

      It wasn’t long before he himself faced a near-death
      experience as a result of a spleen tumor.

      Several months later, Masoud narrowly escaped what
      would have been a fatal car crash after a night of
      heavy drinking at a New Year's Eve party.

      Something inside him changed.

      Masoud took an oath to change his life, finish his
      study and give up alcohol, drugs and bad company for
      good.

      Now a husband and father, he believes those
      experiences help him connect with young Muslims.

      "Honestly people, the lecture was more than perfect,"
      Egyptian Maha wrote on one of three Facebook groups
      established by his mostly educated and middle-class
      young fans.

      "This guy is awesome, God bless him for what he is
      doing."