Canada: Questions raised after Muslim killed by police bullet

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 10, 2005
      Questions raised after Muslim killed by police bullet
      Last updated Dec 8 2005 03:40 PM EST
      CBC News

      http://www.cbc.ca/montreal/story/qc-stab20051208.html

      Members of Montreal's Muslim community are raising
      serious questions after a man was shot dead during a
      scuffle with police.

      Hannas Mohamed, 25, was killed last week after
      allegedly stabbing a police officer.

      Mohamed had just finished morning prayers at the local
      mosque and was wearing his traditional robes,
      according to friends.

      He was on his way home when he came across police.

      The officer was stabbed right after he had arrested
      another man on suspicion of fraud.

      "Many of his friends called me personally to tell me
      this is not compatible with the personality of this
      man," said Salam El-Menyawi, head of the Muslim
      Council of Montreal.

      El-Menyawi is meeting with police to find out more
      about what happened.

      Police won't be able to say much while the case is
      under investigation. The Quebec City police force is
      investigating the case.

      El-Menyawi wants to raise questions about racial
      profiling.

      "I'm asking the police department to assure the Muslim
      community because this is an issue of real concern,"
      he said Thursday.

      Officers are currently meeting with Mohamed's father,
      who flew in from Morocco to attend his son's funeral.

      Like El-Menyawi, he is expressing doubts that his son
      would carry a knife and go so far as to harm anyone.