Denmark: Imam demands apology for Mohammed cartoons - The Copenhagen Post

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2005
      Imam demands apology for Mohammed cartoons
      By The Copenhagen Post

      http://www.cphpost.dk/get/91308.html or
      http://www.jp.dk/english_news/artikel:aid=3306572

      A Muslim cleric in Ã…rhus demands that daily newspaper
      Jyllands-Posten apologises for publishing cartoons
      featuring the prophet Mohammed

      Daily newspaper Jyllands-Posten is facing accusations
      that it deliberately provoked and insulted Muslims by
      publishing twelve cartoons featuring the prophet
      Mohammed.

      The newspaper urged cartoonists to send in drawings of
      the prophet, after an author complained that nobody
      dared to illustrate his book on Mohammed. The author
      claimed that illustrators feared that extremist
      Muslims would find it sacrilegious to break the
      Islamic ban on depicting Mohammed.

      Twelve illustrators heeded the newspaper's call, and
      sent in cartoons of the prophet, which were published
      in the newspaper one week ago.

      Daily newspaper Kristeligt Dagblad said one Muslim, at
      least, had taken offence.

      'This type of democracy is worthless for Muslims,'
      Imam Raed Hlayhel wrote in a statement. 'Muslims will
      never accept this kind of humiliation. The article has
      insulted every Muslim in the world. We demand an
      apology!'

      Jyllands-Posten described the cartoons as a defence
      for 'secular democracy and right to expression'.

      Hlayhel, however, said the newspaper had abused
      democracy with the single intention of humiliating
      Muslims.

      Lars Refn, one of the cartoonists who participated in
      the newspaper's call to arms, said he actually agreed
      with Hlayhel. Therefore, his cartoon did not feature
      the prophet Mohammed, but a normal Danish schoolboy
      Mohammed, who had written a Persian text on his
      schoolroom's blackboard.

      'On the blackboard it says in Persian with Arabic
      letters that 'Jyllands-Posten's journalists are a
      bunch of reactionary provocateurs',' Refn said. 'Of
      course we shouldn't let ourselves be censored by a few
      extremist Muslims, but Jyllands-Posten's only goal is
      to vent the fires as soon as they get the opportunity.
      There's nothing constructive in that.'

      Flemming Rose, cultural editor at the newspaper,
      denied that the purpose had been to provoke Muslim. It
      was simply a reaction to the rising number of
      situations where artists and writers censured
      themselves out of fear of radical Islamists, he said.

      'Religious feelings cannot demand special treatment in
      a secular society,' he added. 'In a democracy one must
      from time to time accept criticism or becoming a
      laughingstock.'

      It is not the first time Hlayhel has created headlines
      in Denmark. One year ago, he became the target of
      criticism from Muslims and non-Muslims alike, when he
      said in a sermon during Friday prayer, that Danish
      women's behaviour and dress invited rape.

      We received the following email: