Muslims discourage violence - Washington Times

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2005
      Muslims discourage violence
      By Robert Redding Jr.
      THE WASHINGTON TIMES
      July 23, 2005

      http://washingtontimes.com/metro/20050722-112719-3561r.htm

      The organizer of a regional, midday-prayer service
      yesterday for Muslims hopes that the event encourages
      participants, especially youths, to engage in
      "productive, meaningful programs to eliminate hatred."

      "We must get to our youth before someone else
      does," said Imam Mohammed Magid, executive director of
      the All Dulles Area Muslim Society Center in Sterling,
      Va. "We must respond to their needs and their
      questions so that we don't leave room for individuals
      with false and dangerous ideologies to lead them
      astray."

      The gathering of about 300 Muslims at the center
      in Sterling follows terrorist bombings in London this
      month. Muslims claiming to be working with the al
      Qaeda terrorist network have taken credit for the July
      7 and July 21 attacks. At least 56 persons, including
      four suicide bombers, were killed and over 700 injured
      on July 7. No casualties were reported in the failed
      July 21 bombings.

      "We would like to see this notion of suicide
      bombing stopped, whether it takes place in Israel,
      Palestine, the Middle East or Iraq," Mr. Magid said.
      "We would like to give the youth a message of hope, a
      message of peace."

      Imam Johari Abdul-Malik, director of outreach for
      the Dar Al-Hijrah Islamic Center and Muslim chaplain
      of Howard University, who delivered one of three
      sermons yesterday talked about Christians and Muslims
      working together to combat what he calls "terror
      cults."

      "They know no religion," he said. "They teach
      people that the way to express their opinions is by
      murder. They have no political agenda. All they are
      doing is acting out violence and aggression upon
      society."

      Imran Siddiqui, who delivered the evening message,
      said somebody must reach out to those who think it is
      acceptable to take a life and to those who invoke the
      name of Islam in their acts.

      "That is wrong," he said. "They represent
      themselves, not Islam or the majority."

      The service coincided with others across the
      country that also condemned terrorist attacks,
      organizers said. They were also part of an interfaith
      effort to bridge chasms between Islam and other
      religions.

      Saad Yacoob, 16, from Sterling, said the
      gatherings are useful "in spreading a mass message."

      "If all the messages in the world are condemning
      the bombing or condemning terrorism at large, then
      just about every Muslim will begin condemning
      terrorism," he said.

      Osman Ali, 15, of Arlington, said such "inhuman
      acts" are not a part of Islam.

      "This is not representing Islam because Islam is a
      religion of peace," he said. "Killing someone is
      killing someone. It's an inhuman act."

      Get My Web - a better way to save web pages
      http://uk.search.yahoo.com/myresults/default