USA: Hispanic, Islamic Groups Want Tancredo Out - AP

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2005
      Hispanic, Islamic Groups Want Tancredo Out
      Monday July 25, 2005 8:31 PM
      By STEVEN K. PAULSON
      Associated Press Writer

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-5165883,00.html

      DENVER (AP) - Hispanic and Islamic groups called on
      Rep. Tom Tancredo to resign Monday, saying he has
      embarrassed Colorado by suggesting bombing Islamic
      holy sites if terrorists launch a nuclear attack on
      the U.S.

      They also criticized the GOP congressman's staunch
      advocacy of tougher immigration controls.

      ``Enough is enough. We're here to say 'Stop,'''
      Hispanic activist Manolo Gonzalez-Estay told a crowd
      of about 200 at the state Capitol.

      Abdur-Rahim Ali, imam of a Muslim shrine in Denver,
      said Tancredo's statement that ``you could take out''
      Islamic holy sites in a retaliatory attack was
      unacceptable.

      ``What would happen if a prominent Muslim made that
      statement about Catholic holy places like the
      Vatican?'' asked Ali.

      Tancredo was traveling and unavailable for comment.
      His spokesman, Will Adams, said the four-term
      congressman has no intention of apologizing or
      resigning.

      ``They are a lot more upset about what he stands for,
      our nation's security and border policy, than anything
      else,'' Adams said.