Snooker Champion Denies Accepting Islam - Islam Online

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6, 2003
      Snooker Champion Denies Accepting Islam

      http://www.islam-online.net/English/News/2003-10/04/article04.shtml

      LONDON, October 4 (IslamOnline.net) - Former world
      snooker champion Ronnie O'Sullivan denied recent media
      reports, quoting his mother, that he embraced Islam,
      reported a leading British newspaper Friday, October
      3.

      "There has been some confusion recently. I am not a
      Muslim. However, I am privileged with the friendship
      of Muslims who have been there for me and I value
      (them) as true friends," he was quoted by the Guardian
      as saying.

      O'Sullivan’s mother Maria told The Sunday Times on
      September 28 that he son has accepted Islam.

      "Ronnie is a lot better in himself since he converted.
      I hope it will steady him," she had said.

      "Yes, I'm interested in Islam, but I'm also interested
      in Buddhism and Christianity. Perhaps I've been naive
      and given people the wrong impression, and if I have
      I'm sorry, " O'Sullivan said.

      "It was a bit stupid of me, I suppose. I went along to
      a mosque because I'm interested in Islam, but I didn't
      know anyone would be interested in converting me.

      "Actually, even when they called me to the front of
      the mosque I didn't know what was happening. They were
      very friendly."

      O'Sullivan said he was in two minds whether to make
      any public statement about the "conversion" but felt
      it was important to set the record straight before the
      new season starts at Preston this weekend.

      "Everyone knows I'm not the most disciplined of
      fellas," he admitted. "I suppose that's why the press
      thought it was such a good story."

      O'Sullivan overcame a troubled childhood, in which his
      father was jailed for murder and his mother for tax
      offences, to win snooker's world championship in 2001.

      Despite his precocious talent, the 27-year-old has
      battled drink and drug addiction as well as
      depression.