Do not use the term Mosque, use Masjid

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2002
      ------- Forwarded Message -----
      Please read this and pass it on to any Muslims, as
      much as you can.
      It is a vital and important information. Muslims
      should now refrain
      from using the term "Mosque". I was flipping through
      this book the
      other day called "THE COMPLETE IDIOT'S GUIDE TO
      UNDERSTANDING ISLAM"
      (he-he, they call themselves idiots) and it is filled
      with fun
      facts. One of them concerns the term "Mosque." So many
      of us think
      that this is the English translation of Masjid. I'm
      sure none of us ever
      wondered how this term came into being when it really
      had little in common
      with how it sounded compared to 'Masjid'. (We were
      very young when we were
      taught this English word. Our mind then were not
      critical & analytical, so
      didn't dare to ask/challenge our teachers, right?).
      Anyway this book pointed
      out that the term 'mosque' is derived from the Spanish
      word for "mosquito."
      It was termed as such because during the Crusades,
      King Ferdinand said
      they were going to go and swat the Muslims "like
      mosquitoes". (Where else
      can they find Muslims in large number to be swatted if
      not in a Masjid?).
      So, they cheekily termed "Masjid" as "Mosque". So dear
      Muslim brothers and
      sisters, refrain from using this term which is
      obviously a disgusting slap
      in the face to the Ummah. Educate our brothers and
      sisters to the history
      and etymology of this word. And let us replace it with
      the word which is
      MEANT to be used: Masjid! The Place of Prostration!!
      Not Mosque: the place
      to be swatted!

      http://uk.my.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2002
        Salam Brothers and Sisters,

        The mail about not using the term Mosque and
        using the term Masjid is a Hoax. Please see the email
        below.

        Also, another website we received was
        http://www.takeourword.com/TOW175/page2.html

        Here it clearly says:

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Well, the "Complete Idiot" in the title is the writer,
        not the reader. How disappointing that such so-called
        etymology could make it into print. First, the
        Spanish for mosquito is mosquito. It means "little
        fly", mosca being "fly" and -ito being a diminutive
        suffix.

        Mosque first came to English in the late 14th or early
        15th century from French mosquée, and the French got
        it from Italian moschea. The Italians got it from
        Arabic masgid, which derived from sagada "to worship".

        Interestingly, the Arabic form masgid or masjid was
        occasionally used in English in the 19th and 20th
        centuries, and one can find masjid in English language
        sites on the Web today.

        By the way, we think that this spurious etymology you
        presented qualifies as Netymology as it has now been
        published on the Web!

        Thanks Brother Osama.

        Was-Salam,
        Webmaster.