Re: [Isis-House] Hermetic Wicca

  • Rabbit
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
      that was a beautiful li'l diatribe there. and i,
      personally, thank u for the names u provided. The
      Hermetic tradition is one that seems to confound me,
      and i think if i could get back to what it started as,
      i could grasp that a bit better.
      kudos.

      --- "S.S.A.A." <crown_death@...> wrote:

      > Hi.
      >
      > There is no such thing as 'Hermetic Wicca' past
      > contemporary hybrid concoctions. There is
      > Hermeticism, as a religious philosophy based upon
      > the gnositic (early Christian writings) of Hermes
      > Trismegistus, and there is the 'term' wicca which is
      > old-english for a male witch (wicce means feminine
      > witch). Actually, there is no such thing as 'Wicca'
      > as a religion or formal spiritual-path past modern
      > eclectic esoteric practices which draw upon
      > interpretations of the nature religions possessed by
      > the Celts, and whose main focus was the communioin
      > with the spirits of our natural environment;
      > something modernly referred to as Animism -
      > tree-spirits, rock-spirits, etc. There is little if
      > any record of these teachings past Irish
      > mythological stories,.as their lore was not recorded
      > but rather was passed on verbally.
      > The only contemporary western sources for
      > understanding recorded lore on 'spirits' is through
      > the legacy of Qabalah, which is pre-Christian Judaic
      > mysticism stemming from ancient Egypt-Sumaria. The
      > problem is one of dillution. Publishers wishing to
      > capitalize on trends and fads have produced a deluge
      > of eclectic 'interpretations' of esoteric religious
      > study, and now anyone who reads a book on so-called
      > 'magic' is all of a sudden a 'Wiccan', a 'Magus', or
      > a 'Prophet'. Coupled with the fact that online
      > 'Degree' companies produce bogus religious master
      > and doctorate degrees, there is unfortunately a
      > tremedous amount of perpetuated ingorance on the
      > subject of reiligious esoteric study.
      > I suggest you study the Bible, The Egyptian Book of
      > the Dead, The Sepher Sephiroth, Hermes Trismegistus,
      > Dione Fortune's, Israel Regardie, and Aleister
      > Crowley's work, and couple it with Animistic
      > philosophy to achieve what it is you (I think)
      > interested in.
      >
      > Martin

      > Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We
      finish.

      =====

      Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
      www.yahoo.com
    • S.S.A.A.
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 1, 2004
        A diatribe means to use abuse bitter speech. My statement was factual. If its deemed abusive then its because the reader has a problem with the truth. Hermes Trismegistus was apparently a very wise man, although I don't spend much time reading his work. However, there is the inference that he had direct knowledge of the Emerald Tablets, as they were alchemical knowledge that was supposedly carved by Hermes himself. From what little I did read of his work, it reads like poetic philosophy, and is somewhat archaic to follow. I thought his comment on homosexuality most enlightening. The statement as I recall says "don't share your bed with the homosexual as they are self-consumed". I find that to be a true characteristic, both in terms of personality and in terms of behavior.

        As far as sharing 'names' goes, you are welcome. I have no problem sharing public references.

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
          Di"a*tribe\ (?; 277), n. [L. diatriba a learned
          discussion

          i'm sorry if you didn't consider your post to be a
          learned discussion.

          at least i liked it more than the haughty reply.

          --- "S.S.A.A." <crown_death@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > religious
          > > study, and now anyone who reads a book on
          > so-called
          > > 'magic' is all of a sudden a 'Wiccan', a 'Magus',
          > or
          > > a 'Prophet'. Coupled with the fact that online
          > > 'Degree' companies produce bogus religious master
          > > and doctorate degrees, there is unfortunately a
          > > tremedous amount of perpetuated ingorance on the
          > > subject of reiligious esoteric study.
          > > I suggest you study the Bible, The Egyptian Book
          > of
          > > the Dead, The Sepher Sephiroth, Hermes
          > Trismegistus,
          > > Dione Fortune's, Israel Regardie, and Aleister
          > > Crowley's work, and couple it with Animistic
          > > philosophy to achieve what it is you (I think)
          > > interested in.
          > >
          > > Martin

          > > Yahoo! Mail Address AutoComplete - You start. We

          www.yahoo.com/a

          =====
          Rabbit

          When logic and proportion
          Have fallen sloppy dead
          And the White Knight is talking backwards
          And the Red Queen's off with her head
          Remember what the dormouse said
          Feed your head, feed your head
          White Rabbit - Jefferson Airplane

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 2, 2004
              <exasperated sigh>
              look, ya #@*, all i did in the original post was thank
              u, u took it as an insult and got all holier than moi
              on the subject of grammar, which is a losing battle,
              as not only am i one of those useless homosexuals u
              mentioned, but a grammar queen to boot. however, i'm
              not playing this game in the middle of my favorite
              yahoo group, so u can continue to be as erudite and
              impeccably precise as u like. without me. enjoy your
              cold.

              =====

              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 3, 2004
                No, actually I didn't take it as an insult, I took it as aberrant misdirection of my intent, which was not to insult the misguided, but on the contrary, to educate them. There are those you cannot educate however, simply because they are so self-consumed.

                I don't care what you are or what you think about what I say, because it will always be wrong. And, for your information, homosexuals aren't progressive nor useless, they are in my opinion a part of life, not unlike bacteria.

                Wherever you are, I am not, and if it is cold where I am (and its not), I am grateful for it. Also, I will never consider you the embodied personification of the rabbit in a brilliant story like Alice in Wonderland, nor the inspiration of Jefferson Airplane's wonderful and psychedelic musical exercise.

                =====