A visiting Carmelite

  • ambrose young
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
      With pleasure I wanted to share the news that our Greek Orthodox Monastery right now has a visiting Carmelite from India, Fr. Matthew.  He's only with us for a few days, but we are enjoying him and he seems to be enjoying us.   In particular it's been great to talk to him about the origins of the primitive Carmelites in the Holy Land, where one whole branch of what we call the Desert Fathers lived and where, I'm sure, there was some cross-fertilization of ideas and worldviews between the two groups.

      Fr. Matthew is descended from the first Christians in India, those converted by the Apostle Thomas, and he belongs to the Carmelites of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, which I gather is a branch or a perhaps a separate group of Carmelites from the European calced and discalced. (?)  They are under Rome, but follow the Chaldean rite!  He laments that his group of Carmelites are not contemplative but active.  So we are having some very interesting discussions.  He's interested in knowing how our monastery here combines the active and the contemplative (but with emphasis on the contemplative).

      If anyone can tell me more about Fr. Matthew's Carmelite group I'd be appreciative.

      --Fr. Ambrose
    • Lou Pizzuti
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
        Father,
        This may be them.
        LP

        Louis G. A. Pizzuti, T.O.P
        http://www.loupizzuti.com
        http://www.arberesh.net — About the Albanians of Italy
        http://www.arberia.us - The Arberesh in America
        http://www.PrayInLatin.com - Learn how you can pray with the saints
        http://www.3op.org - The Third Order of St. Dominic, St Joseph Province
      • ambrose young
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
          Yes, from what Fr. Matthew told me, I'm sure this is the same group.  Thanks very much, Lou; I'll enjoy exploring this site.  --Fr. A.