Re: The Proper way for a Church to act during an election campaign

  • lexcaritas
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 27, 2012
      Not so, my brother, James.

      On prudential judgments, truly the Church should be mum; but on matters of moral judgment affecting the nature of man and the One in Whose image man is made, the Church must be candid, active and crystal clear in her witness in word and deed.

      lexcaritas

    • sjziobro7@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27, 2012
        Dear Lex,

        Prudential judgment, originating from the virtue of prudence, is necessarily allied with moral judgment.  It is not possible for the Church to be mum in guiding Her children in any matter that requires prudential judgment.

        Stan

> [...]

        > > The Synod of the UOC –MP again reminded the bishops and priests of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the unacceptability of political agitation from the church pulpit: "The church should unite people of different political persuasions, and therefore political slogans should always remain outside church walls."
        > >
        > > The bishops of the UOC-MP called on all the faithful of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to vote: "On the day of elections, we have to go to the polls and vote for those whom we consider most worthy. It is our civic duty to make a conscious and responsible choice."
        > >
        > > www.risu.org.ua
        > > The items contained in the Religious Information Service of Ukraine
        > > may be used, in part or in their entirety, by quoting the source.

      • Mary Lanser
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 28, 2012
          The idea that we have a line of secular ethics to follow and a line of theological morality to follow on parallel tracks is what has created the kind of world we live in today.

          The natural inclination of the conscience, spoken of by the Great Apostle Paul, is more clearly Christian than any mode or manner of secular "ethics" which will ignore natural law in order to control that which they arrogate to the public sphere for the explicit purposes of command and control wresting it from the very Creator without whom there would be NO public forum...or at least trying to do so.  When they succeed to their satisfaction then the rest of us are presented with a world where perversion of the good is king.

          As a Christian, I won't live in a world that is not ruled first and foremost by its Creator.  So in my mind, all Christians have an obligation to infuse their public life with their Christian morality, and encourage those who hew to the natural morality of a created conscience to join me.

          Blessings,

          Mary

          --
          From Irenikon
          @ 40 ° 54' 21.5" N,  77 ° 52' 23.3" W

          Tenebrae eum non comprehenderunt. ~John 1:5

          Every scribe instructed in the kingdom of heaven, is like to a man that is
          a householder, who bringeth forth out of his treasure new things and
          old.~Matthew 13:52

        • lexcaritas
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
            Mary and Stan, I hope you know I was taking issue with the UOC-MP, not either of you.

            lxc

            --- In Irenikon@yahoogroups.com, Mary Lanser <mel5@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > for his or her actions but also for every spoken word, especially if it is
            > > a word addressed to the public and society as a whole."

            > > Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the unacceptability of political agitation
            > > from the church pulpit: "The church should unite people of different
            > > political persuasions, and therefore political slogans should always remain
            > > outside church walls."

            > > Orthodox Church to vote: "On the day of elections, we have to go to the
            > > polls and vote for those whom we consider most worthy. It is our civic duty
            > > to make a conscious and responsible choice."

            > --
            > From Irenikon
            > @ 40 ° 54' 21.5" N, 77 ° 52' 23.3" W
            >
            > Tenebrae eum non comprehenderunt. ~John 1:5
            >
            > Every scribe instructed in the kingdom of heaven, is like to a man that is
            > a householder, who bringeth forth out of his treasure new things and

          • Mary Lanser
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
              Ahhhhh...no. I was more than a little perplexed...lost..<smile>

              Maybe we should start over!!

              M.

              On 10/1/12, lexcaritas <bbearer@...> wrote:
> [...]
              >> > Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the unacceptability of political agitation
              >> > from the church pulpit: "The church should unite people of different
              >> > political persuasions, and therefore political slogans should always
              >> > remain
              >> > outside church walls."

              >> > Orthodox Church to vote: "On the day of elections, we have to go to the
              >> > polls and vote for those whom we consider most worthy. It is our civic
              >> > duty
              >> > to make a conscious and responsible choice."

              >> --
              >> From Irenikon
              >> @ 40 ° 54' 21.5" N, 77 ° 52' 23.3" W
              >>
              >> Tenebrae eum non comprehenderunt. ~John 1:5
              >>
              >> Every scribe instructed in the kingdom of heaven, is like to a man that
              >> is
              >> a householder, who bringeth forth out of his treasure new things and

              From Irenikon

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 1, 2012
                Dear Lex,

                I see your point.  Perhaps you were using the notion of prudence in a more general sense than a stricter philosophico-theological one carries.

                Regards,

                Stan