!! Ballina Chronicle; May 1, 1850; Limerick Police Court

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2006
      Wednesday, May 1, 1850

      CITY POLICE COURT
      THE FAIRIES - At the city Limerick Police court on Thursday, a lad
      named Cornelius Hennessey, arrested as a vagrant, told the presiding
      Magistrate he had been for some time with the fairies!
      Magistrate - Who are the fairies?
      Prisoner - The "good people," whose souls the Almighty lets live upon
      earth, though their bodies are buried - they took me away from my father's
      house, and in a hurling match they broke my leg. - (laughter)
      A Policeman - Though young that lad is, your worship, he is most
      incorrigible - breaks window glass and plunders bread-shops - he has a name
      for every day of the week.
      Magistrate - If I let you off will you go back to your father?
      How can I, sir? sure there is a fairy at home at my place, and my
      father thinks he is his son; as he says he don't know me (great laughter).
      Magistrate - I'll send you back to the "good people" so (a laugh).
      Prisoner - I wouldn't know where to find them now, sir (much laughter).
      Magistrate - I believe not, but you shan't put a finger in my eye. You
      are a regular juvenile trickster, and I'll punish you.
      Prisoner - I am satisfied if it is by giving me enough to eat, your
      honour (roars of laughter).
      Magistrate - I sentence you to 21 days imprisonment, at hard labour on
      the treadmill.
      Prisoner - Very will, sir, I used to practice a little that way with
      the fairies (loud laughter) - When you go to them that you may break your
      shins on the treadmill (immoderate laughter).
      The delinquent was then committed.

      Cornelius O'Donnell and Wm. Craven were sentenced to 21 days'
      imprisonment and to be whipped, for stealing lead; Partrick Gleeson and
      Patrick Downy, for stealing hay, like rule.---Limerick Chronicle.