Re: [IrelandOldNews] !!

  • ibsjackson
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2006
      Hi Cathy,
      I am following the news from "Ireland in the past" with great interest.
      History in the making, so to speak.
      Have you ever come across any reporting about the "Indian Mutiny in 1857".
      An ancestor of my Husbands was killed in Cawnpore in June that year. I don't
      know in what capacity he was there, I don't even know his first name, but
      his surname was Forsyth. We have a letter to his father, William Forsyth,
      who was Chief Engineer to the Board of Public Works in Dublin at the time.
      The letter is written on 27th July 1857 from Allahabad telling him about his
      sons demise.
      It is signed M. Betagh.
      A very sad letter indeed.
      I do hope one day to be able to uncover the facts about the story, but so
      far I have had no luck.
      With kind regards from Inga Jackson written on a windy summers day in New
      Zealand.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2006
        --- In IrelandOldNews@yahoogroups.com, "ibsjackson"
        <ibsjackson@x...> wrote:

        >> Have you ever come across any reporting about the "Indian Mutiny
        in 1857".
        > An ancestor of my Husbands was killed in Cawnpore in June that
        year. I don't
        > know in what capacity he was there, I don't even know his first
        name, but
        > his surname was Forsyth.

        Anything I have come across (or other newspaper transcription
        volunteers) has been from the films I have purchased myself and
        transcribed so far at www.IrelandOldNews.com. There is a search
        engine there.

        You might want to try checking the PRONI site at
        http://www.proni.gov.uk/

        or the British Parliamentary Papers site at
        http://www.eppi.ac.uk/

        Good luck in your searches,
        Cathy
      • ibsjackson
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 7, 2006
          Dear Cathy,
          Thank you for your reply and the Websites, which I shall explore, when I
          "get down off the ladder"!
          I am busy painting the sittingroom as we are expecting overseas visitors
          next month. Nothing like a dead line.
          Kind regards Inga.