[IrelandOldNews] Student Medals

  • E Macklin
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
      Good morning Cathy:
      Not exactly sure which Bishop that was [P or C], but is there any way of
      finding out what those proficiency medals looked like?

      Eric Macklin

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
        Perhaps you can write to the school? Looks like they have quite an archived
        collection of ephemera!

        http://www.rascal.ac.uk/collection/?ff=no&CollectionID=430&ff=no&results_per_page=10&browse_title=F

        founded in 1617 by Matthias Springham and its development to the present
        day. The archive consists of books, pamphlets, reports, journals and
        photographs. Personal papers, school records and Minutes as well as a
        considerable collection of school related ephemera may also be found in the
        collection.

        Strength: The material in this collection spans four centuries and provides
        a social and historical commentary not only on the school itself but also on
        Ulster and colonial Britain, particularly in the 19th century. Famous past
        pupils include the Lawrence brothers, Alexander, George and Henry, who are
        more particularly associated with the Indian Mutiny of 1857.
        Content Dates:1617/
        Physical Characteristics: This collection has not yet been listed.
        Languages: English
        TypeCollection.: Archive.
        Access Control: An appointment to view the material in this collection
        should be made with the administrator prior to a visit.
        Catalogue/Description: This collection is not yet catalogued or listed.
        Accrual StatusPolicy: Active. Method: Permanent Deposit. Periodicity:
        Periodic.
        Accumulation Date Range:1617/
        Legal Status: Foyle College has legal ownership of the collection.
        Custodial History: Material has naturally accummulated throughout the
        history of the school where it has remained from its establishment in 1617.

        Not exactly sure which Bishop that was [P or C], but is there any way of
        finding out what those proficiency medals looked like?

        Eric Macklin
      • Records
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
          He'd have been a Cof I bishop. Foyle College was established for "the sons
          of Gentlemen".

          Don't know what the medals looked like though.

          Rachel