Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

!! Ballina Chronicle; Apr 17, 1850; Misc News

Expand Messages
  • Cathy Joynt Labath
    BALLINA CHRONICLE Ballina, Mayo, Ireland Wednesday, April 17, 1850 HORRIBLE MURDER OF AN INFANT - Thos. Denny, 32, was tried at Kingstown on Tuesday, for
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 27, 2005
      Ballina, Mayo, Ireland
      Wednesday, April 17, 1850

      HORRIBLE MURDER OF AN INFANT - Thos. Denny, 32, was tried at Kingstown
      on Tuesday, for having murdered an infant by sticking an awl into its neck.
      The prisoner had been a shoemaker but was at the time of the occurrence a
      farm labourer. He had a son by a deceased wife. He cohabited with a young
      woman named Ferrant, with whom and his son he lived in a loft. On the 16th
      of August last the girl Farrant was delivered of a child. The prisoner took
      it from her and stuck an awl into its throat, which caused its death shortly
      afterwards. The prisoner was found guilty, and sentenced to be hanged.

      There are only four persons receiving outdoor relief in Sligo union.

      PAUPER INSUBORDINATION - On Monday morning the female paupers at our
      workhouse broke out into open rebellion against the authority of the
      officers, and refused to eat the stirabout supplied for breakfast, alleging
      that it was too thin for human food. The assistance of the police was called
      in, and the constables acting under the personal direction of the Mayor
      quelled the riot, which, however, did not proceed at any time beyond shouts
      and threats. Six women were arrested, and committed as examples to the
      others, to city jail for three days, with hard labour. The make portion of
      the inmates took their breakfast without evincing any sympathy in the
      insurrectionary spirit of the women, but one of the men was expelled by the
      board in consequence of its having been discovered that he had joined in the
      conspiracy, and had issued orders to contractors not to supply the milk
      which was required to be used with the stirabout in the house.-- Kilkenny

      unfortunate man, named Hendricksen, met his death at Sandford's Court, near
      this city, under the following circumstances, as nearly as can be
      ascertained at present:- It appears that a man named Phelan was placed by
      Mr. J. Cahill, of Sandford's Court, to watch his farm by night, in
      consequence of some thefts which had recently taken place upon it.
      Hendricksen 9who was a person in most miserable circumstances endeavouring
      to obtain outdoor relief, but disqualified in consequence of having a few
      acres of land) came to one of the fields and was pulling turnips which were
      there growing; on the approach of Phelan he ran away, and the latter pursued
      him with his gun in his hand. Whether the weapon was accidentally or
      intentionally discharged is uncertain, but be this as it may, Hendricksen
      was shot dead on the spot. Phelan absconded immediately. The unfortunate
      deceased has left a wife and seven young children.--Kilkenny Moderator.

      EXECUTION AT TULLAMORE - Tuesday being the day named for the execution
      of John Ryan, who was found guilty at the last assizes for the murder of
      Serjeant Grant, a large concourse assembled in front of the jail to witness
      the awful spectacle. At five minutes past twelve the unfortunate culprit
      tripped up the ladder with a light step, accompanied by the Revs. Messrs.
      Cullery and Flood, Roman Catholic curates, and were it not for the
      appearance of the jail and its officials, the demeanour of the unfortunate
      man would not impress the spectators that it was an execution - for never
      did a man walk up that fatal ladder with more apparent less concern. He
      turned his back to the people just as he stepped on the drop, while the
      executioner was adjusting the rope and putting his cap over his face. He
      never spoke - and in a few minutes he was let off and died in great pain and
      agony, struggling for a long time. At the usual time he was cut down and
      buried within the precincts of the jail. His brother was under the drop
      witnessing the scene.--King's County Chronicle.

      Sub-Constable Thomas Crane, charged at Mountrath with forging
      additional figures and letters in orders for cash given by the Clerk of the
      Peace to crown witnesses, for their expenses in prosecuting larceny cases,
      is committed to Maryborough jail.

      MOST EXTRAORDINARY EVIDENCE. - That fact is stronger than fiction, is
      fully verified in the following true case of Irish ingenuity, in which the
      ferocious and the absurd are curiously blended. At the present sessions now
      holding in Mallow an unhappy wretch was indicted for stealing turnips from
      the field of Mr. Leader of Millstreet, in this county, the principal witness
      being the watchman, known familiarly as "Mad Tom Eagar." The attorney who
      defended the prisoner as "the length of himself," but upon being further
      pressed he coolly said - "Didn't I know what the attorney would be at, and
      what he'd try to make me swear! Faith I did so, and when I caught the
      prisoner I knocked him down and took out my knife and cut off a piece of his
      ear, that I might match it, next day." This terrific statement was
      mournfully corroborated by the prisoner in the dock, who turned his
      mutilated ear to the bench, crying out at the same time in a piteous tone -
      "Oh! wisha, me lord, sure enuf he did crap me!" The worthy
      assistant-barrister, who was justly horrified at the act, vented his
      indignation in the strongest terms, and expressed a wish that he had the
      witness in the dock, but the witness seemed to look upon this startling mode
      of procuring conclusive testimony as entitling him to a civic crown instead
      of meriting a judicial reprimand.-- Cork Examiner.

      Mr. St. George, M.P. applied by letter to the Galway Guardians for
      permission to pay his rates, which were very large in amount, by instalments
      of £50. The chairman said the board had no right to interfere with their
      collector, and Mr. St. George ought to be written to by the clerk to say
      that they could not interfere but that if he and the collector arranged it,
      they had no objections.

      Extract of a recent letter from a settler near Adelaide, South
      Australia - "Boys are greatly wanted here. We pay a little fellow to mind
      cattle and bring them to milk morning and evening, 2s. per week and feed
      him; he is a mere child, and does not look more than six years old. We also
      pay 8s. per week to a stout boy. If some gentlemen would interest themselves
      in sending them out, hundreds would get employment. The writer of this had
      hired as servants some young girls sent out from the Skibbereen workhouse.

      Serjeant Major Goerge Kirkman, 88th Depot, who marched through this
      garrison, en route from Kinsale to Castlebar, committed suicide at Tulla in
      his billet on Saturday morning last, after the detachment halted there, by
      cutting his throat from ear to ear. The cause of this desperate act is
      unknown to the officers and men unless that he apprehended censure for
      symptoms of inebriety. An inquest was held on Sunday, verdict - "Temporary
      insanity." The deceased was a native of Bolton, Lancashire.-- Limerick

      Cathy Joynt Labath
      Ireland Old News
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.