!! Irish Catholic Chronicle; Sep 30, 1867; William Allen Sketch

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2005
      Irish Catholic Chronicle And People's News of the Week
      Dublin, Ireland
      Saturday, 30 November 1867

      WILLIAM PHILIP ALLEN
      Subjoined is a brief sketch of the life of this unfortunate young man
      previously to his departure for England. The circumstances of his untimely
      fate, will, we presume, render the few facts here submitted interesting to
      the reader. W.P. Allen was born in April, 1848, in a well-known village near
      the town of Tipperary, and was about three years old when his parents
      removed to Bandon, in this county, where he was brought up in the Protestant
      faith, which his father professed, while his mother was a good Catholic. At
      Bandon he was a constant attendant at the training school conducted under
      the auspices of the Hon. Mr. Bernard, for the education of young men
      designed to fill the office of district parochial teachers, at the same
      time, however, attending the morning and evening schools conducted in the
      same town by Catholic masters, under whom he learned the branches of algebra
      and drawing, being remarkably proficient in the latter acquirements. While
      at school young Allen made himself conspicuous by his intelligence and
      application - these qualities attracting the notice of many persons of
      station. Allen was from his childhood of thoughtful and studious habits,
      very imaginative, exceedingly gentle in his disposition and a great
      favourite with his companions, to whom his pleasing manners endeared him. On
      the occasion of the visit of some Catholic missionaries to Bandon, Allen
      frequented the sessions and religious exercises which marked the mission and
      his natural acuteness, aided by the teaching of his pious mother, convincing
      him of the error of the creed in which he had been hitherto reared, he
      became a convert to the true religion and was received by the Rev. P.P. of
      Bandon into the bosom of the church. This was about four years ago, and
      since his reception Allen has been a strict and exemplary Catholic. His only
      sister, now married, and living in this city, influenced by the arguments of
      her brother, followed his happy example and became also a Catholic, his four
      brothers, among them a brother Joe, for whom the poor fellow entertained a
      particular affection, being still Protestants. Allen was, while yet a youth,
      bound apprentice to Mr. Preston, a respectable master carpenter and timber
      merchant in Bandon, but from circumstances of a painful nature, which it is
      charity now to refrain form publishing, but in which the young convert's
      faith was at stake, he felt himself compelled to leave his master before the
      expiration of his time, and coming well recommended to this city, was
      employed by Mr. Barry M'Mullen, with whom he remained for six months, when
      he once more returned to Bandon, whence he proceeded to Manchester, on the
      invitation of some near relatives of his residing in that city. The
      following affecting letter, which has been entrusted to us for publication,
      was entrusted by Allen to his aunt in Manchester, with directions to forward
      it to his sister in this city:
      Manchester, Nov 18, '67
      DEAR SISTER, BROTHER-IN-LAW, AND BROTHERS - I am sure you will regret
      to be hearing out of a prison dungeon from me; but it cannot be helped.
      There are a great many changes in the world, and we must all put up with our
      share. Next Saturday is the day of my execution; also three others. I will
      be gone only a few days before the longest liver of you all; it is nothing ,
      dear sister, to look into it. I hope you do not forget praying for me, and
      for those that are in with me. It is hard, dear sister, brother-in-law and
      brothers, to be suffering for a charge a person is not guilty of. I am quite
      reconciled to the will of God, whatever my fate may be. I received Holy
      Communion this morning, thank God, and am in very good spirits. There is
      nothing in the world that a person should be sorry for leaving it. Tell my
      brothers to mind their duty to God and always pray for me and all that are
      in with me. I am very sorry, dear sister, I had not the pleasure of seeing
      James before leaving this world and also your daughter. I think I have a
      slight knowledge of James, if I do not make a mistake. I hope if I do not
      see him here, I will see him and you all, please God, in heaven. Remember my
      words, dear friends - there is no use in grieving at all. It does not make
      the thing any better, and injures your own health, although I am quite sure
      there will be many thousands that never saw me or any of the other prisoners
      in their lives, that will regret our deaths; and many a tear will flow from
      parties with whom I never was in my life. I am about to leave the world and
      I do not think I have enemies in it, except those that swore my life away
      for blood money. I forgive them from the bottom of my heart, and may God
      receive them. Farewell sister, brothers, and brother-in-law, niece also. It
      has crossed my mind not to forget Miss Clancy, and my grandmother, tell
      them to pray for us also.
      No more at present from your affectionate and ever loving brother.
      W.P. ALLEN
      P.S. - Remember me to father and mother and aunt. Send this to my
      sister in Cork as soon as you receive it. Keep up your hearth and never
      forget praying for me. Remember me to all friends. I send you 1,000 kisses
      each and 2,000 to my brother Joe.