!! Ballina Chronicle; Sep 12, 1849 "Sligo"

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2003
      Wednesday, Sept 12, 1849

      STATE OF THE SLIGO WORKHOUSE
      We are most happy to find that our work house is now in a most healthy and
      promising state, we have had but one case of cholera in the hospital for the
      last eight days. In contrasting the report of the house this morning with our
      report eight weeks ago- we find that we have 2,451 paupers less now than we had
      then, and 2,739 less on the relief list. This is not, at least so far as the
      house is concerned, no doubt on account of the cholera having broken out there
      first, but this, of course, would affect the number on out-door relief. This
      desirable reduction of the number of paupers in this union, is mainly
      attributable to a plentiful harvest, and the ususual cheapness of potatoes.

      THE CHOLERA- During the past week cholera has marked for its victims some
      of the most respectable portion of our fellow townsmen. Alhtough mortality on
      the who9le is not on the increase in the town generally, yet the circumstance of
      a few respectable persons having been fatally attacked by it has created unusual
      alarm, and several persons during the week have closed their shops and left the
      town. The hospital return for the week is not marked by any particular
      mortality. We have had rather more cases perhaps this week than last.--Sligo
      Guardian.