!! Ballina Chronicle; Apr 3, 1850; The Army
- BALLINA CHRONICLE
Ballina, Mayo, Ireland
Wednesday, April 3, 1850
The following detachments of the 49th move to Fermoy to be stationed: -
The company under Capt. Biggs from Tipperary on the 2d. prox.; the company
of Lieut. Beresford from Clogheen on the 2d. arriving same day; the company
from Cahir on the 3d.
First Lieut. Lord Madden, of the Rifle Brigade, has purchased a
Cornetcy in the Blues.
Lieut. Col. St. John Quentin, 17th Lancers, is about to exchange with
Lieut. Col. Lawrenson unattached formerly of the 17th.
The first division of the 9th has arrived in Dublin from Newry.
A new and lighter bayonet is being constructed for the Infantry.
Sergeant Metcalf, 49th, has published a set of plates on Light Infantry
drill, dedicated by permission to his Royal Highness Prince George of
Cambridge. The merit of the work is that it conveys, at a glance, the system
of light drill, as laid down by Capt. Mitchell, late 60th Rifles.
Lord Gough offers to hear the extra expense of continuing the bearskin
cap to his gallant regiment the 67th.
Lord Lurgan's next move is expected to be a Lieutenancy in the 7th
Royal Fusiliers returning from Halifax.
Lieut.-General Sir Stephen R. Chapman appointed Colonel Commandent of
the Royal Engineers, vice Lt. Gen Durnford, deceased.
Lt.-Col. Franks, 10th Foot, has left Mooltan for England, also Brevet
Major Kennedy, 18th, from Calcutta.
Cornet the Hon. P. Sidney, Royal Horse Guards, Capt. and Brevet Major
Hanmer, Inniskilling Dragoons, Capt. D'Aguilar, Grenadier Guards, Lieut.
Greathead, 41st, and Captain Whittuck, 83d, sold out of the service on
Cornet and Sub. Lieut. Fitzroy, of the 2d Life Guards, has exchanged to
the 41st with the rank of Ensign.
Cathy Joynt Labath
Ireland Old News