!! Ballina Chronicle; Apr 3, 1850; Misc Items

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2005
      Wednesday, April 3, 1850

      SERIOUS ACCIDENT - We deeply regret to announce that on yesterday
      afternoon, as the Rev. Marcus M'Causland, the highly respectable rector of
      this parish, was returning from visiting the auxiliary workhouse in Castle
      Gate, and the rev. gentleman was severely injured - his leg having been
      fractured in two places. He was conveyed on a car to the rectory. - Medical
      assistance was immediately procured, and we are glad to learn that he is
      going on as favourably as can be expected. -- King's Co. Chronicle.
      ~~~~~
      DR. LANGLEY - Dr. Langley, having been acquitted of the charge of
      murdering his wife, was, by directions of the Court, removed to prison,
      there to remain till the termination of the assizes, but he has not yet been
      discharged from custody, as he is ill in the hospital of the jail.--Nenagh
      Guardian.
      ~~~~~
      Mr. Jones, late 18th Royal Irish, has contracted with the Nenagh
      Guardians for the supply of beef at 1 1/2d. per lb. and mutton at 2d. per lb
      for six months.
      ~~~~~
      THE CONVICT JOHN O'GRADY
      It will be seen by the annexed communication that Government has spared
      the life of John O'Grady, under sentence of execution in the gaol of
      Limerick, for the murder of his wife and servant girl, at Martinstown: -
      "Dublin Castle, 29th March, 1850.
      "Sir - I am directed by the Lord Lieutenant to transmit his
      Excellency's warrant commuting the sentence of death passed on John O'Grady,
      prisoner in the gaol of the county of Limerick, to transportation for the
      term of his natural life. - I have the honour to be, Sir, your obedient
      servant.
      "T. N. REDINGTON.
      "To the High Sheriff county Limerick."
      When this intelligence was communicated to Mr. O'Grady by the Governor,
      he evinced no apparent gratification at escaping an ignominious death on the
      scaffold.
      ~~~~~
      DIABOLICAL OUTRAGE - On the night of Saturday last, or on the morning
      of Sunday, some miscreant of human shape, set fire to an outhouse at the
      Four Roads, within six miles of this town, belonging to Mrs. Donlon, of
      Cloghan Castle, and in which ten heifers, the property of that lady, were
      being housed, all of whom were utterly consumed, no one being there at the
      time to give any alarm; and so surely did they go about their business that
      they placed a quantity of straw outside the door, and then set it on fire
      least any one should get into their relief. Three tons of hay were also
      consumed. We have not heard of any reason assigned for this revolting
      deed. -- Roscommon Messenger.