!! Connaught Journal; Sep 13, 1824 "Misc Items"

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2005
      Galway, September 13, 1824

      In a clannish riot, at Abbeyfeale, on Sunday last, a man of the name of
      John David Roche, was killed by a shot from a military party, whose
      interference was deemed unnecessary. The riot was anticipated, and the
      excellent Parish Priest (the Rev. Mr. Fitzgerald) made strenuous and for
      some time, successful efforts to prevent it.

      DREADFUL ACCIDENT - It is with feelings of deep regret we have to
      announce the death of Mr. Joseph Power, of New Ross, (formerly of
      Carrick-on-Suir.) It occurred on Saturday morning, under the following
      melancholy circumstances, at Hookless, near Feathard, in the county Wexford,
      which he had been with Mrs. Power, for the benefit of sun-bathing.
      For this purpose, it appears, he was proceeding early on that morning
      to the edge of the sea. In his descent, which was by means of steps, but
      slightly indented in the rock, he unfortunately slipped, and was
      precipitated from nearly the top of the rock, which is of immense height,
      upon a ledge of pointed stones at the bottom. It is needless to add, that he
      was instantaneously deprived of life.-- Waterford Chronicle.

      Captain Hamilton, of his Majesty's ship Cambrian, lately arrived from
      the Mediterranean, brought over a very fine Mummy, found at Thebes, and
      other Egyptian curiosities; also, some Greek marbles from Milo and Delos,
      for Gen. Cockburn, which have arrived safe in Dublin. The General sent over
      several cases of marble from Rome last year, and, we understand, has more on
      the way. We have authority to say, that on his return next year, his gallery
      at Shanganagh will at all times be open to the inspection of Artists, and to
      such ladies and gentlemen as may wish to see it.

      RURAL SPORTS - The crowds now at the Burren Spa are beyond any
      calculation in that country. - The numbers assembled to see the best Irish
      jig dancers was immense and the contest so equal between two of the fair
      competitors, that the judges could not decide between them, and therefore
      directed the silver watch to be given to those very interesting girls, to be
      disposed of as they pleased. Immediately after the dancing, four horses were
      started, and there was a most excellent race. - On yesterday a fox was to
      have been shook at the well, and it was so arranged, that the ladies should
      witness "his funeral tears;" and on Sunday next there will be another race,
      and afterwards a hurling match, consisting of twenty-one men at each side -
      one party dressed in blue jackets and caps, and the other in red.--Limerick
      Paper.

    • ibsjackson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2005
        I do agree-- Poor Mr. Power, did he slip or was he pushed?
        I didn't know sunbathing was so popular in 1824!
        Inga.
        > Ireland News; History scrapbooks and Connaught Journal are the two I would
        > like to unsubscribe to.
        >
        > Poor Mr Power~~@@@@@hhhhhhhhhhhhh
        > Susan
        > -----
        > Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 7:51 AM
        > Subject: [IrelandOldNews] !! Connaught Journal; Sep 13, 1824 "Misc Items"
        >

        > it.
        > >
        > > DREADFUL ACCIDENT - It is with feelings of deep regret we have to
        > > announce the death of Mr. Joseph Power, of New Ross, (formerly of
        > > Carrick-on-Suir.) It occurred on Saturday morning, under the following
        > > melancholy circumstances,
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Susan Patterson

          Sent: Monday, September 05, 2005 7:51 AM