History Scrapbooks - 1798 Rebellion

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 30, 2005
      Connecticut Courant
      November 19, 1798

      REBELLION IN IRELAND
      IRELAND, DUBLIN, Sept. 25.
      From Ballyshannon, Sept. 18:
      "The French were on this coast a few days since. A vessel mounting 169 guns,
      and 200 men, a large park of artillery and a great quantity of small arms
      and ammunition on board, arrived at Rutland, on Sunday last; they landed the
      men but finding that the country people would not join them, they
      re-embarked after pillaging the post-office, and other houses in that town,
      they sailed thence to the eastward, on the same evening.
      "It is confidently said, that James Napper Tandy was the conductor of
      the above expedition; and from the course she steered from her departure
      from Rutland, we have every reason to hope that she cannot escape the
      vigilance of our cruizers on the Cork station."
      A mail arrived this day from Dublin, but happy for Ireland - happy for
      England!- order and quiet are now so generally restored that hardly any
      other fact is left us to communicate in the way of intelligence.

      The Gazette of the United States
      November 20, 1798

      BALLINA, September 24.
      We have been here for some time in the greatest dread of being destroyed
      by the rebels; but now, thank God, we are extricated from those fears - A
      sore defeat has been given to the deluded wretches by his majesty's army, in
      which above 1000 of them were killed between this place and Foxford. In this
      vicinity they had committed great depredation. On entering houses they first
      drank any wine they could get, then destroyed the furniture, and even the
      gardens, and afterward carried off all plunder that was portable to Killala.
      They were going to hang CALONEL, whose house they plundered. Some of the
      French who lately landed at Killala were found among them, and are now
      prisoners.