History Scrapbooks - 1798 Rebellion

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 18, 2005
      Federal Gazette
      October 19, 1798
      DUBLIN, August 29.
      THE INVASION.
      Extract of a letter from Ballinrebe, Aug. 25.
      "Friday morning, at two o'clock, we were alarmed by an express for the
      Carabineers, the French being about to land at Killala, about 42 miles from
      hence. Sir Thomas Chapman immediately set off, and found they had really
      effected a landing, and had taken prisoners the bishop of Killala, his two
      sons, Dean Thompson and his wife, Mr. Thomas Ellison, &c and had thrown up
      some istrenchments. Sir Thomas, on reconnoitering their works, was
      attacked, but after a smart skirmish, had only a few men, about 8, slightly
      wounded, and a serjeant missing. Our troops killed one of their officers,
      and retreated to Castlebar, where they are now waiting for a supply of
      troops, who are hourly passing through this quarter, and it is thought will
      proceed to-morrow to attack them.
      "On Sir Thomas Chapman's retreat, the enemy advanced as far as Ballina
      (7 miles nearer us) but did not keep it long, having conceived it prudent to
      return to their first position. They picked up several prisoners, among them
      Sir William Boyd.
      "The alarm occasioned by the appearance of the enemy has crowded this
      town, a number of families having deserted their habitations not only from
      the neighborhood of Killala, but from parts within two miles of us. Thank
      God, there is a considerable body of troops and ordnance in motion, and the
      common people seem steady and well affected; a few days will terminate the
      business."
      The above letter mentions but 3 French frigates having appeared at
      Killala.
      Friday last the following notice was distributed through Athlone and its
      neighborhood:
      "Brigadier general Barnet has the satisfaction of informing the
      inhabitants of Athlone and its neighborhood, that the French force landed at
      Killala is very inconsiderable and that the force already marched against
      them is sufficient to prevent their moving forward; and the general hopes,
      in a very short time, to be able to announce their total defeat."
      A variety of reports were yesterday circulated; among the most credited
      were accounts that C. O'Hara, M.P. for Sligo, had, in attempting at the head
      of his yeomanry corps to check the course of the French, fallen a prisoner
      into their hands.
      By the latest accounts we learn, that the French column had advanced on
      its way to Sligo as far as the town of Ballina; but finding no aid or
      countenance from the country people, had retired to Killala in the hope of
      re-imbarking; but, it was added, that the frigates which brought them had
      disappeared from the coast.
      The landing of the enemy at Killala seems to be a matter artfully
      designed, so as to have received assistance from the inhabitants of a part
      of province of Ulster as well as Connaught before they proceeded further
      into the country; but we are happy to find that loyalty is at present the
      prevalent principle among the people, and that they have not been joined by
      any of the inhabitants, and of course, the French forces must either
      endeavor to escape to their vessels or else soon feel the fatal effects of
      opposition to the troops of the country.
      The spirit which the northern loyalists have ever displayed, has been
      gloriously manifested by the Enniskilliners - four hundred of them, under
      the command of cols Cole, marched on Friday evening toward Killala, leaving
      700 behind them to protect the important pass of Enniskillen.
      Since the above we hear, and hope, the intelligence well founded, that
      the French have capitulated - and a still more pleasant circumstance, that
      they were joined but by three of the natives;- these, together with an
      outpost of the enemy, to whom they appeared to have acted as guides, are
      said to have been taken by a party of the yeomanry. The French were defended
      by 16 pieces of artillery.
      The marquis Cornwallis's headquarters continue to be at Athlone.
      A letter from Killala of the 26th states, that an heavy cannonade was
      heard off the coast; and the probability is, that one of our squadrons has
      fallen in with some of the enemy's ships.
      From the different counties of Ulster, we receive the best-founded
      assurances of tranquility.
      A letter from Castlebar, under date of the 26th instant, mentions an
      action having taken place between the enemy and the king's troops and
      yeomanry, in which the latter sustained some trifling disadvantage; but
      reinforcements being in movement from various directions, it was hourly
      expected that the enemy must surrender, or be entirely cut off.
      It is with much concern that we present to the public the official
      account published yesterday, of a check received by the king's forces under
      general Luke.
      The circumstances, as far as we have been able to learn, are as follows:
      General Luke, who left Dublin on Saturday last at 2 o'clock P.M. arrived
      on the next evening at the village near Castlebar, where he had directed the
      forces of the district to assemble with all possible speed; some of these
      troops had many miles to march within a few hours, and in consequence at a
      very early hour the next morning, but a small part of the intended army
      having assembled (not quite one thousand men) the general was attacked on
      the very point of rendezvousing by the enemy, who had marched in the course
      of the evening and night before, in all force from Killala.
      The king's troops, consisting of detachments from the Frazer fencibles,
      Kilkenny and Limerick city militia, and royal Irish artillery, with six
      field pieces, sustained the attack of the French with great gallantry, and
      had there been any time for preparation or arrangement would have defeated
      them; but the fencibles, having given way, and the six field pieces having
      fallen into the hands of the enemy, the general found it necessary to
      retreat with the loss of about twenty of his men.
      His first retreat was to Hollymount, about seven miles southward of
      Castlebar, from whence we understand he has since retreated still further
      southward, through Tuam, in the county of Galway, to which latter place the
      French troops are said to have advanced.
      We have not learned whether general Lake has shaped his course to Galway
      or Athlone.
      Menatime every exertion of vigilance and precaution is adopted to
      preserve the security of the rest of the country. The county of Wexford, so
      lately the scene of warfare, is so far restored to peace as to justify the
      marching of the 2d and 29th regiments toward the province of Connaught -
      troops are moving from every quarter to the kingdom in the same direction -
      the yeomanry have resumed their habits of vigilance throughout the country -
      and in the city of Dublin the regulations which produced such salutary
      effects during the late rebellion, have been revived.
      General Craig, commander of the garrison, issued last night his orders
      to have strictly enforced the directions forbidding any person whatever from
      appearing in the streets at a later hour than 9 o'clock - and lord
      Castlereagh by letter signed to the lord mayor the propriety of causing the
      inhabitants of this city to continue pasted on their doors the names of the
      persons residing in their houses. The different yoemanry guards were
      strengthened and multiplied.

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 22, 2005
        The Herald of Liberty
        November 5, 1798
        The following MANIFESTO was transmitted to us from the County of Mayo and
        said to be published there by the French General.
        "Health and fraternity to the people of Ireland.
        "The Great nation has sent me to you with a band of heroes, to deliver
        you from the hands of tyrants, fly to our standards, and share with us the
        glory of subduing the world. We will teach you the arts of war and to
        despise the low pursuits of toil and industry - You shall live on the spoils
        of war and the labor of others. The acquisition of misery, and the enjoyment
        of ease is glorious; We have made all the nations we have conquered happy by
        arresting their property; by applying it to the common cause and
        consecrating it to the champions of liberty! Property is a common right,
        belonging to the valor that seizes it.
        We have already destroyed the unaspiring tranquility of Switzerland! and
        the wealth and power, and the bigotry of Italy are no more! if then the
        justice of France has thus extended its reforming vengeance to unoffending
        nations, consider how much more rigor it will visit you if you shall slight
        its benignity, fly to our standards and we will free you from spiritual as
        well as temporal subjection.

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 30, 2005
          Connecticut Courant
          November 19, 1798

          REBELLION IN IRELAND
          IRELAND, DUBLIN, Sept. 25.
          From Ballyshannon, Sept. 18:
          "The French were on this coast a few days since. A vessel mounting 169 guns,
          and 200 men, a large park of artillery and a great quantity of small arms
          and ammunition on board, arrived at Rutland, on Sunday last; they landed the
          men but finding that the country people would not join them, they
          re-embarked after pillaging the post-office, and other houses in that town,
          they sailed thence to the eastward, on the same evening.
          "It is confidently said, that James Napper Tandy was the conductor of
          the above expedition; and from the course she steered from her departure
          from Rutland, we have every reason to hope that she cannot escape the
          vigilance of our cruizers on the Cork station."
          A mail arrived this day from Dublin, but happy for Ireland - happy for
          England!- order and quiet are now so generally restored that hardly any
          other fact is left us to communicate in the way of intelligence.

          The Gazette of the United States
          November 20, 1798

          BALLINA, September 24.
          We have been here for some time in the greatest dread of being destroyed
          by the rebels; but now, thank God, we are extricated from those fears - A
          sore defeat has been given to the deluded wretches by his majesty's army, in
          which above 1000 of them were killed between this place and Foxford. In this
          vicinity they had committed great depredation. On entering houses they first
          drank any wine they could get, then destroyed the furniture, and even the
          gardens, and afterward carried off all plunder that was portable to Killala.
          They were going to hang CALONEL, whose house they plundered. Some of the
          French who lately landed at Killala were found among them, and are now
          prisoners.