!! Ballina Chronicle; Sep 5, 1849 "Cholera"

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 13, 2003
      Wednesday, Sept 5, 1849

      THE CHOLERA
      We had sanguine hopes towards the close of the last week that the cholera
      had altogether disappeared from our neighbourhood. A few cases have, however,
      occurred since, which indicates that the disease still lingers amongst us. The
      following appear to be medical statistics of the Ballina and Killala districts:-

      Ballina Dis Ballina Hos
      Killala Dis Killala Hos
      Remaining under treatment 82 68 4
      9
      on the 28th Aug
      New Cases since up to 38 12 2
      4
      3d September
      Deaths within that period 2 3 2
      2
      Recovering in same period 25 26 _
      3
      Remaining under treatment
      on 3d September 84 51 4
      7
      Total cases during the
      existence of the epidemic 345 223 49
      59
      Total deaths during same 109 93 24
      24
      We have not heard that any cases have arisen in the Crossmolina district
      for some days past, so that we hope the visitation has ceased entirely in that
      locality. A slight tendency towards an increase of the disease in Ballina was
      manifested yesterday, but we trust this has been only an expiring effort
      previous to its final cessation. The cases occurring now are not generally of a
      malignant type, and of the number in the Ballina hospital but a small proportion
      are in the active stages of the malady.

      CHOLERA IN SLIGO- By a private letter from Sligo, which reached our office
      yesterday, we are gratified to learn that this malady is considerably on the
      decrease; and as might be expected, that the occupants of low, filthy houses are
      the principal sufferers.

      SLIGO COUNTY INFIRMARY- The election of a physician for this institution
      takes place on the 18th instant. Four candidates-Doctors Little, Armstrong,
      Knott, and Lynn-are already in the field. The former gentleman has been
      appointed pro. tem. to perform the duties of his deeply lamented father.