History Scrapbooks - 1798 Rebellion

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
      Columbian Centinel
      September 8, 1798

      The Rebellion in Ireland.
      Dublin, July 10.
      As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
      of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighboring borders of Kildare and Wexford; nor
      does this exception surprize us, when we recollect that in all rebellions with
      which this unhappy island have been afflicted Wicklow was always the county last
      conquered.

      Commercial Advertiser
      Sept. 8, 1798

      London, July 6.
      A subscription was opened at Baston's Coffee House for the relief of the
      Individuals, or of the wives and children of such as have suffered, or may
      hereafter suffer in suppressing the unfortunate Rebellion in Ireland when the
      sum of 15,000l, sterling was subscribed in a few days.
      This is one among the numerous displays of that spirit of liberality which,
      to say the least, is a prominent feature in the character of the English nation.
      Of all public emergencies, and on all occasions of misfortune, either general or
      local, they are probably much more liberal than any other modern European
      nation.

      Connecticut Courant
      September 10, 1798

      The Rebellion in Ireland is considered to be so completely crushed, that Marquis
      Cornwallis has written home that there is no occasion for any reinforcements to
      be sent to Ireland. In consequence all the Militia regiments either embarked, or
      under orders, are countermanded and will remain in England.

      Albany Centinel
      September 14, 1798

      IRELAND.
      Dublin, July 7.
      The official accounts published yesterday evening contained the pleasing
      information of a signal rout given to the rebels in the county of Wicklow. All
      our private letters from that quarter agree in every respect with the public
      account, but mention the number of slain on the part of the rebels, in different
      ways, some stating them at seven hundred, while others say they amount to nearly
      two thousand. - Some idea of the number of the rebels engaged in this affair may
      be obtained by knowing that their army covered four miles and a half of a very
      wide road, besides multitudes covering the fields on each side; the loss of such
      an army in a tumultuary flight must be incalculable.
      From Kildare accounts are received, which state, that though a great number
      of the Rebels have availed themselves of the late proclamation, yet the
      collective force acting against government is very considerable. I have seen a
      letter from an officer of the Suffolk fencibles, quartered near Kilcullen
      bridge, which states that the Rebels are encamped near 16,000 strong, within a
      few miles of them; but they have received orders not to attempt to attack them
      till a reinforcement arrives.

      July 10.
      As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
      of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighbouring borders of Kildare and Wexford;
      nor does this exception surprize us when we recollect that in all rebellions
      with which this unhappy island has been afflicted, Wicklow was always the county
      last conquered.

      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
        Columbian Centinel
        September 29, 1798

        Of the Rebellion in Ireland,
        IRELAND, Dublin, Aug 2
        The rebel banditti, which, but a few weeks since, were composed of a body at
        Vinegar-Hill, of nineteen thousand strong; at Linkinstown-Hill, of fifteen
        thousand; at the town of Wexford and its vicinities, near the sea side, of eight
        thousand; and at Enniscorthy, Carnew, and other parts of the county of Wexford,
        of about ten thousand more, independent of the numerous hordes in the counties
        of Kildaire, Wicklow, Carlow, Meath, the Queen's County, &c. are now reduced to
        parties plundering marauders, from thirty to sixty in number, some of which have
        been already cut to pieces, and others separating and accepting the terms of
        pardon, already graciously proffered - so much for rebellion in its former and
        present state, and thus are its purposes entirely blasted.

        Albany Centinel
        Oct 5, 1798

        IRELAND
        Dublin, August 20.
        Since our last no accounts have reached town of consequence. The wretched
        rebels continue to be surprised in small parties, particularly in the County of
        Meath.

        July 21.
        The freedom of the city was unanimously voted to his Excellency the Marquis
        Cornwallis, with a congratulatory address upon his arrival in this Kingdom.
        The assembly upon a petition of certain of the Commons, unanimously
        disfranchised Hamilton Rowan, John Chambers and Napper Tandy, to be considered
        hereafter as aliens, the two former being accused of high treason, and bills for
        felony having been found against the latter, and all having absconded.

        July 24.
        The rebel prisoners who have surrendered and are now confined at the Royal
        Exchange, exhibit a just picture of the infernal cause in which they had
        embarked, in the most immoral and profligate behaviour, by continued blasphemy,
        and horrid oaths, cursing and abusing the yeomanry, and his Majesty's forces.
        They appear to be most depraved ruffians, equal to the commitment of any act of
        desperation.
        The great guns which had so long menaced the populace of Dublin from the
        Castle gates, were removed yesterday, and the Orange is getting fast out of
        season, it is now picked, and I trust will soon be wholly rotten, all which
        circumstances are no small indications of returning confidence and established
        tranquility.

        August 4.
        So general is the restoration of tranquility that the Generals of the
        several districts have written to the commanders of the yeomanry corps,
        announcing the state of the country to be such that there no longer existed
        occasion for their continuing on permanent duty. Sir James Duff, on signifying
        this agreeable intelligence to the volunteers of Limerick, and Nenall, passed
        high and deserved encomiums on their conduct, and expressed his hope, that they
        will occasionally assemble, as before the rebellion, for the preservation of
        that discipline which has rendered them so respectable.
        It was yesterday currently reported that in consequence of information, a
        rebel deposit of one hundred thousand guineas had been discovered.

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 14, 2005
          Federal Galaxy
          Oct 13, 1798
          IRELAND.
          Dublin, Aug. 4
          The present state of the country bears the fairest prospect of
          tranquility, and rebellion seems to shield its head in final oblivion. The
          armed rebels who appeared in such force and numbers are no longer to be
          found; vanquished in every battle, in which they had the hardihood to make
          stand, and their leaders defeated in their abominable views, of universal
          plunder and massacre; their accursed and baneful influence is in neither the
          East or West province of this country, and the only trace that can be found
          of that wretched and unprovoked rebellion, which so lately rent and agitated
          this country, is that of armed banditties of robbers, who derive a
          subsistence from plunder, and are composed of blood thirsty miscreants, whom
          we hope our gallant yeomanry, as best acquainted with the interior of the
          country, will bring to justice.

          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 18, 2005
            Federal Gazette
            October 19, 1798
            DUBLIN, August 29.
            THE INVASION.
            Extract of a letter from Ballinrebe, Aug. 25.
            "Friday morning, at two o'clock, we were alarmed by an express for the
            Carabineers, the French being about to land at Killala, about 42 miles from
            hence. Sir Thomas Chapman immediately set off, and found they had really
            effected a landing, and had taken prisoners the bishop of Killala, his two
            sons, Dean Thompson and his wife, Mr. Thomas Ellison, &c and had thrown up
            some istrenchments. Sir Thomas, on reconnoitering their works, was
            attacked, but after a smart skirmish, had only a few men, about 8, slightly
            wounded, and a serjeant missing. Our troops killed one of their officers,
            and retreated to Castlebar, where they are now waiting for a supply of
            troops, who are hourly passing through this quarter, and it is thought will
            proceed to-morrow to attack them.
            "On Sir Thomas Chapman's retreat, the enemy advanced as far as Ballina
            (7 miles nearer us) but did not keep it long, having conceived it prudent to
            return to their first position. They picked up several prisoners, among them
            Sir William Boyd.
            "The alarm occasioned by the appearance of the enemy has crowded this
            town, a number of families having deserted their habitations not only from
            the neighborhood of Killala, but from parts within two miles of us. Thank
            God, there is a considerable body of troops and ordnance in motion, and the
            common people seem steady and well affected; a few days will terminate the
            business."
            The above letter mentions but 3 French frigates having appeared at
            Killala.
            Friday last the following notice was distributed through Athlone and its
            neighborhood:
            "Brigadier general Barnet has the satisfaction of informing the
            inhabitants of Athlone and its neighborhood, that the French force landed at
            Killala is very inconsiderable and that the force already marched against
            them is sufficient to prevent their moving forward; and the general hopes,
            in a very short time, to be able to announce their total defeat."
            A variety of reports were yesterday circulated; among the most credited
            were accounts that C. O'Hara, M.P. for Sligo, had, in attempting at the head
            of his yeomanry corps to check the course of the French, fallen a prisoner
            into their hands.
            By the latest accounts we learn, that the French column had advanced on
            its way to Sligo as far as the town of Ballina; but finding no aid or
            countenance from the country people, had retired to Killala in the hope of
            re-imbarking; but, it was added, that the frigates which brought them had
            disappeared from the coast.
            The landing of the enemy at Killala seems to be a matter artfully
            designed, so as to have received assistance from the inhabitants of a part
            of province of Ulster as well as Connaught before they proceeded further
            into the country; but we are happy to find that loyalty is at present the
            prevalent principle among the people, and that they have not been joined by
            any of the inhabitants, and of course, the French forces must either
            endeavor to escape to their vessels or else soon feel the fatal effects of
            opposition to the troops of the country.
            The spirit which the northern loyalists have ever displayed, has been
            gloriously manifested by the Enniskilliners - four hundred of them, under
            the command of cols Cole, marched on Friday evening toward Killala, leaving
            700 behind them to protect the important pass of Enniskillen.
            Since the above we hear, and hope, the intelligence well founded, that
            the French have capitulated - and a still more pleasant circumstance, that
            they were joined but by three of the natives;- these, together with an
            outpost of the enemy, to whom they appeared to have acted as guides, are
            said to have been taken by a party of the yeomanry. The French were defended
            by 16 pieces of artillery.
            The marquis Cornwallis's headquarters continue to be at Athlone.
            A letter from Killala of the 26th states, that an heavy cannonade was
            heard off the coast; and the probability is, that one of our squadrons has
            fallen in with some of the enemy's ships.
            From the different counties of Ulster, we receive the best-founded
            assurances of tranquility.
            A letter from Castlebar, under date of the 26th instant, mentions an
            action having taken place between the enemy and the king's troops and
            yeomanry, in which the latter sustained some trifling disadvantage; but
            reinforcements being in movement from various directions, it was hourly
            expected that the enemy must surrender, or be entirely cut off.
            It is with much concern that we present to the public the official
            account published yesterday, of a check received by the king's forces under
            general Luke.
            The circumstances, as far as we have been able to learn, are as follows:
            General Luke, who left Dublin on Saturday last at 2 o'clock P.M. arrived
            on the next evening at the village near Castlebar, where he had directed the
            forces of the district to assemble with all possible speed; some of these
            troops had many miles to march within a few hours, and in consequence at a
            very early hour the next morning, but a small part of the intended army
            having assembled (not quite one thousand men) the general was attacked on
            the very point of rendezvousing by the enemy, who had marched in the course
            of the evening and night before, in all force from Killala.
            The king's troops, consisting of detachments from the Frazer fencibles,
            Kilkenny and Limerick city militia, and royal Irish artillery, with six
            field pieces, sustained the attack of the French with great gallantry, and
            had there been any time for preparation or arrangement would have defeated
            them; but the fencibles, having given way, and the six field pieces having
            fallen into the hands of the enemy, the general found it necessary to
            retreat with the loss of about twenty of his men.
            His first retreat was to Hollymount, about seven miles southward of
            Castlebar, from whence we understand he has since retreated still further
            southward, through Tuam, in the county of Galway, to which latter place the
            French troops are said to have advanced.
            We have not learned whether general Lake has shaped his course to Galway
            or Athlone.
            Menatime every exertion of vigilance and precaution is adopted to
            preserve the security of the rest of the country. The county of Wexford, so
            lately the scene of warfare, is so far restored to peace as to justify the
            marching of the 2d and 29th regiments toward the province of Connaught -
            troops are moving from every quarter to the kingdom in the same direction -
            the yeomanry have resumed their habits of vigilance throughout the country -
            and in the city of Dublin the regulations which produced such salutary
            effects during the late rebellion, have been revived.
            General Craig, commander of the garrison, issued last night his orders
            to have strictly enforced the directions forbidding any person whatever from
            appearing in the streets at a later hour than 9 o'clock - and lord
            Castlereagh by letter signed to the lord mayor the propriety of causing the
            inhabitants of this city to continue pasted on their doors the names of the
            persons residing in their houses. The different yoemanry guards were
            strengthened and multiplied.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 22, 2005
              The Herald of Liberty
              November 5, 1798
              The following MANIFESTO was transmitted to us from the County of Mayo and
              said to be published there by the French General.
              "Health and fraternity to the people of Ireland.
              "The Great nation has sent me to you with a band of heroes, to deliver
              you from the hands of tyrants, fly to our standards, and share with us the
              glory of subduing the world. We will teach you the arts of war and to
              despise the low pursuits of toil and industry - You shall live on the spoils
              of war and the labor of others. The acquisition of misery, and the enjoyment
              of ease is glorious; We have made all the nations we have conquered happy by
              arresting their property; by applying it to the common cause and
              consecrating it to the champions of liberty! Property is a common right,
              belonging to the valor that seizes it.
              We have already destroyed the unaspiring tranquility of Switzerland! and
              the wealth and power, and the bigotry of Italy are no more! if then the
              justice of France has thus extended its reforming vengeance to unoffending
              nations, consider how much more rigor it will visit you if you shall slight
              its benignity, fly to our standards and we will free you from spiritual as
              well as temporal subjection.

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 30, 2005
                Connecticut Courant
                November 19, 1798

                REBELLION IN IRELAND
                IRELAND, DUBLIN, Sept. 25.
                From Ballyshannon, Sept. 18:
                "The French were on this coast a few days since. A vessel mounting 169 guns,
                and 200 men, a large park of artillery and a great quantity of small arms
                and ammunition on board, arrived at Rutland, on Sunday last; they landed the
                men but finding that the country people would not join them, they
                re-embarked after pillaging the post-office, and other houses in that town,
                they sailed thence to the eastward, on the same evening.
                "It is confidently said, that James Napper Tandy was the conductor of
                the above expedition; and from the course she steered from her departure
                from Rutland, we have every reason to hope that she cannot escape the
                vigilance of our cruizers on the Cork station."
                A mail arrived this day from Dublin, but happy for Ireland - happy for
                England!- order and quiet are now so generally restored that hardly any
                other fact is left us to communicate in the way of intelligence.

                The Gazette of the United States
                November 20, 1798

                BALLINA, September 24.
                We have been here for some time in the greatest dread of being destroyed
                by the rebels; but now, thank God, we are extricated from those fears - A
                sore defeat has been given to the deluded wretches by his majesty's army, in
                which above 1000 of them were killed between this place and Foxford. In this
                vicinity they had committed great depredation. On entering houses they first
                drank any wine they could get, then destroyed the furniture, and even the
                gardens, and afterward carried off all plunder that was portable to Killala.
                They were going to hang CALONEL, whose house they plundered. Some of the
                French who lately landed at Killala were found among them, and are now
                prisoners.