History Scrapbooks - 1798 Rebellion

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 24, 2005
      Norwich Packet
      Aug 14, 1798

      Progress of the Rebellion in Ireland

      London, May 25.
      The village of Lacklow, in Ireland, is burnt by the military. It consisted
      of 27 houses.
      Dublin is declared out of the King's peace.
      May 29. The Irish rebels have been defeated at Saggard and Naas. Several
      hundreds killed.
      May 30. The Dublin mail of the 25th inst. arrived yesterday, by which we
      have received, not only a confirmation of the dreadful accounts given in our
      last paper, but also some important details of several fresh actions which have
      taken place between the military and the rebels in various directions. The
      rebellion is now openly supported in most parts of the counties of Dublin,
      Kildare, and Meath, and even the neighbourhood of the metropolis has been
      assailed by the daring insurgents. In some instances they have made a desperate
      resistance, but in all they have been defeated with great slaughter, while his
      majesty's forces have sustained very little loss. Near Dunboyne the rebels
      ????????????? by a small party of the Reay fencibles, as stated in our paper of
      yesterday, remained undisturbed on the 24th, but on the following day a
      formidable army was sent against them, who happily succeeded in putting the
      whole body to flight.
      General Grenier, says a Paris paper, is shortly to sail from Dunkirk, with
      the troops destined for the invasion of England. The corps which were hitherto
      in cantonments at St. Omer, Bethune, Arras, &c. have marched to the coast.
      May 31. By the Dublin mail of the 26th, which came to hand yesterday, we
      have received accounts of several fresh actions having been fought between
      military and the insurgents, in the whole of which his Majesty's forces have
      completely triumphed. The rebellion has extended its influence into the counties
      of Wicklow and Carlow, so that there are now five counties in an open state of
      insurrection. The official details of two of the engagements, which took place
      at Hacketstown, in the county of Carlow, and at Baltinglass, in the county of
      Wicklow, state that the rebels lost in the former three hundred men, and in the
      latter between one and two hundred. Battles have also been fought at Clare,
      Ballimor, Berresttown, Lucan and Lusk, which terminated in a similar manner. The
      rebels have burnt the town of Kilcullen, and destroyed a great part of the
      respectable city of Carlow, at which place a dreadful conflict took place, the
      result of which was, that four hundred of the misguided wretches were slain,
      over whole mangled carcasses the travellers from Dublin to the southward were
      for a whole day obligated to pass. Such is the frightful picture which the
      intelligence of yesterday presents to our view. But this is not all; Our advices
      from the fourth state, that the county of Kilkenny is in a very perturbed
      situation; that the greatest apprehensions are entertained in the counties of
      Tipperary and Waterford; and that in the county of Cork, an open rebellion is
      hourly expected. The vicinity of the Metropolis continues to be infested with
      numerous bodies of the insurgents, against whom all the troops in the garrison
      have received orders to march, and the protection of the city is now committed
      to the yeomanry, who, form their numbers and activity, appear fully adequate to
      the undertaking. Two members of the Rathfarham volunteers, Messrs. Ledwich and
      Keogh, who headed the rebels in an action fought near that place, were on Sunday
      last, with eighteen others, executed in Dublin, pursuant to the sentences of
      several courts martial; on the same day, Dr. Esmond of the county of Kildare,
      also suffered death, for rebellious behavior. The rebels have possessed
      themselves of some unimportant posts not far distant from the metropolis, and
      destroyed the bridge of Kilcullen, to prevent a communication with the South.
      June 4. The official intelligence which has arrived from Dublin since our
      last publication, in some measure answers our expectations, and gratifies our
      hopes. A numerous body of rebels assembled on the curragh of Kildare (amounting
      to 4000) have laid down their arms, and given up a number of their leaders; that
      the communication between Dublin and Limerick, which had been cut off by the
      insurgents, has been restored; and that Sir James Duff has retaken the town of
      Kildare and killed between two and three hundred of the insurgents who had
      possession of that place, with the loss of three men killed and several wounded.
      The Gazette adds, that "the South is entirely quiet." We are sorry, however, our
      letters from that quarter do not admit us to subscribe to this last assertion.
      The rebels, we are on the contrary assured, are still in great force in the
      county of Wexford, and at a late hour ????? informed that a large detachment of
      the 13th regiment of foot, commanded by lieutenant colonel Colville, which
      marched from Waterford for that county, on the 8th ult, had been cut off by the
      Insurgents, who, to the amount of near 7000 men were in the possession of the
      city of Wexford and its neighbourhood, when the gentleman who states this
      unfortunate circumstance came away.
      June 6. Major gen. Fawcett having marched from Duncannon Fort, with a
      company of the Meath regiment, was surrounded by a very large body of rebels
      between Taghman and Wexford, and defeated; the general effecting his retreat to
      the fort. Official.
      The town of Newtown Barry was attacked June 1, by the rebels; they
      surrounded it in such a manner that Colonel L'Estrange at first retreated to
      collect his force; he then attacked them, drove them from the town with great
      slaughter ,and pursued them several miles, 500 of the rebels were killed; the
      col's. whole force was about 350. Official.
      A party of rebels in endeavouring to enter Carlow were defeated. Official.
      Yesterday's Irish Mails brought was to June 2. The rebels appear to derive
      military instruction from their frequent disasters. In the north of Ireland too,
      which has affected much loyalty, such ferocious indications of revolt have
      appeared, that martial law is declared there. This was done at Belfast on Sunday
      last.
      It is feared that Toulon fleet has eluded the vigilance of Ad. Nelson.
      June 8. Yesterday arrived the Waterford and Donaughadee mails. The rebels,
      to the amount of fifteen thousand men, are encamped on the mountain of Farth,
      situated near the sea, about ten miles from Wexford, so advantageous to dislodge
      them. Their front is protected by a numerous body of horse, and eight pieces of
      artillery and the sea is in their rear. Here they mean to make their grand
      stand; they have their apprehensions and are determined at any rate, to sell
      their lives dearly, and sooner than surrender, to throw themselves into the sea.
      Another account states that the rebels have been driven from Wexford, with
      the loss of 900 men, but that the king's military so experienced great loss, the
      pikes of the insurgents (14 feet in length) preventing the effectual use of the
      bayonet. It is said a company of the North Cork militia and a detachment of
      Meath militia have been cut off by the rebels.
      Capt. Moor, of Rathangan, having drawn out his company to engage the
      revolters, his lieut. cried, he would not fight against his fellow citizens.
      'Nor I,' 'nor I,' run threw the corps - when they massacred their capt. and fled
      to the insurgents.
      Sir Edward Crosbie has been executed as a rebel in Ireland.
      June 9. The Dublin mail of the 4th arrived yesterday. There has been no
      general action, and it is supposed the rebels mean to confine themselves to a
      system of predatory warfare. They frequently issue from their head quarters on
      the Wexford mountain and have some skirmishes, wherein victory has been
      generally on the side of the king's troops. On one instance the rebels
      triumphed. A detachment under col. Walpole, of 5 or 600 men, with artillery
      (marching to join the main army, with was about attacking the rebels in three
      different points) while they were passing a defile, were attacked; a severe
      conflict ensued, which terminated in the defeat of their commander, Walpole.
      Some compute the total loss at 300, others at a 100, on the part of the
      defeated. It is said the rebels took 5 pieces of artillery. We hope the most
      moderate of their accounts is exaggerated.
      Mr. Bacon, a taylor, elected maj-general of the revolters, has been
      arrested, and was hanged on Monday last. Martial law is declared in Limerick;
      and Irish affairs are daily more portentous. All troops, which can be spared
      from other parts, are marching to the insurgent counties of Wexford, Carlow and
      Wicklow; but the disaffected state of the north, necessitates the leaving many
      troops there, therefore 10,000 men are instantly to go from England.
      It is reported, a whole corps of yeomanry (loyal rifles) is disarmed in
      Dublin, having been discovered in league with the rebels.
      The rebels in Wexford, possessing both bays and harbors, it is thought they
      have already received some aid from France. They hold Enniscorthy, a very
      populous town.
      O'Coigley, a clergyman, has been executed in Ireland, for treason.
      Troops, it is said, are sailing from New Castle, Plymouth, Liverpool, &c.
      for Ireland.

      Dublin, May 31.
      M'Conn, an apothecary, is apprehended; and his apprentice deposes that he
      has, within a few days, sold above a thousand ounces of arsenic to various
      persons, who were servants.
      Yesterday, died of his wounds, capt. D.F. Byan, the officer who arrested
      lord Fitzgerald.
      In an attempt on Newtown, Mount Kennedy, the rebels were defeated with the
      loss of 40.
      The rector of Kyle and his whole family, infants and all, have been
      butchered by the rebels. The families of Mr. Bookey, Mr. Barrington and others
      have shared the same fate.
      The insurgent camp at Blackmoor Hill has been taken possession of by
      government, and the rebels driven from it, with the loss of their camp materials
      and 7 of their horde. They were 1000 strong, and were defeated by about 100.
      June 2. Among the rebels near Narragmore, was an Amazonian leader. She fired
      two shot at the col. of the regular troops. She is taken, but the treason act
      cannot well be literally put in force against her.
      It is said a large body of rebels have been defeated at Corce (Wexford
      county) and 140 killed.
      Lieut. Clinch, of the infantry, was executed on Saturday. He confessed his
      crime, viz conspiring to murder his capt. and desert the army with the company
      to the rebels.
      All respectable families that can are embarking for England, with all speed.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 25, 2005
        Gazette of the United States
        August 17, 1798

        The following letter from the north of Ireland, dated 31st May, was politely
        handed to us by a merchant of the first respectability. Its contents are
        interesting and authentic. -

        My dear Sir,
        I wrote you 10th current by captain Macey and by the Mohawk, captain Moore,
        since which the united Irish, without waiting for their good friends the French,
        have broken out into open rebellion. The plan was fixed for setting on fire the
        city of Dublin in different parts at the same instant on the night of the 19th
        current. Persons were to be placed at the houses of loyalists to murder them as
        soon as they (on the alarm of fire) should open their doors; most of the
        servants of the city were sworn to assist in this dreadful massacre, and to
        bring out all the bulky furniture and to lay it across the streets to impede the
        march of horse and foot, who might attempt to give aid to the sufferers. A
        bloody night it would have been, had not government received information of the
        conspiracy some short time previous to the fatal period, and taken every
        precaution to prevent its being carried to execution. Lord Edward Fitzgerald
        (brother to the Duke of Leinster, who was to have headed the rebel army, and for
        whose capture 1000l. reward was offered) having been taken that very evening
        after a desperate resistance, disconcerted their schemes for the attack of the
        city, but as the insurrection was to have been general, large bodies of these
        deluded people well armed collected on the 22d current, and attacked Nags,
        Dunshoughlin, Dunboyne, Monsterevan, Clandalkin, Kilcullen and appeared in force
        at Rathfarnam, Wicklow mountains, Curragh of Kildare, Stratford on Shaney, and
        other places; to prevent intelligence they stopped all the mail coaches leaving
        Dublin on the night of the 22d, burnt them and the mails containing the letters;
        and as most of the army is stationed in the south, and south west parts of the
        kingdom, where we expected the French would land, there were but few forces in
        Dublin or its vicinity; however these few in small parties, attacked the
        different bodies of the rebels and in every engagement the latter were defeated
        and it is computed that above 3000 of them were killed, many wounded and many
        prisoners taken, but not without some loss on the part of the king's troops by
        reason of the smallness of their numbers, in respect to those of the rebels, who
        in most of the actions were ten, twelve and more to one. They have committed
        many horrid murders, cutting the throats of men, women and children and burning
        whole families in their houses, following the barbarous example of their
        brethren in iniquity, the French. They say that the Roman Catholics will never
        be emancipated until the Protestants are totally destroyed. We have reason to be
        thankful that none of these insurrections were nearer to us than between 30 to
        40 miles. Hereabout and to the northward of this they are at present pretty
        quiet but it is hard to say how long they many continue so; the whole kingdom is
        now under military law.
        Yesterday's papers inform that 4000 of the rebels in the county of Kildare
        had surrendered on promise of pardon, they giving up their arms and their
        officers. I have therefore great hopes that this rebellion will soon be crushed
        without more blood being shed, and die away until the French invade us, when
        there is not doubt but numbers will join them. As there are no vessels here for
        America, and knowing how anxious you would be fore the safety of your friends in
        this part of the world, on hearing flying and vague reports of the rebellion by
        ships from England, the half of which would in all probability be either false
        or much exaggerated, I thought you would be highly gratified in hearing from me
        what you can depend on for truth. By the next opportunity I shall write you the
        catastrophe of this shocking business.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 28, 2005
          Commercial Advertiser
          Aug 28, 1798

          IRELAND
          THE REBELLION
          (From the London Gazette of Last Night)
          Whitehall, June 12.
          Dispatches of which the following are copies, have been this day received
          from his Excellency the Lord Lieut. of Ireland, by his Grace the Duke of
          Portland, His Majesty's principal Sec'ry of State for the home department.

          Dublin-Castle, June 9.
          MY LORD,
          It is with the utmost concern I acquaint your Grace, an insurrection has broken
          out in the county of Antrim; and in order to give your Grace the fullest
          information in my power, I enclose to you an extract of a letter received this
          morning by Lord Castlereach, from Maj. Gen. Nugent. I am in great hope, from the
          numbers and spirit of the loyal in that part of the country, the insurgents may
          be quickly checked. I have the honor to be, &c, &c.
          CAMDEN
          His Grace the Duke of Portland.
          Belfast, June 8.
          MY LORD,
          I have the honor to report to your lordship, that in consequence of
          information which I received early yesterday morning, of an intended
          insurrection in the county of Antrim, having for its first object the seizure of
          the magistrates, who were to assemble that day in the town of Antrim, I
          apprehended several persons in Belfast. I did not receive the intelligence early
          enough to prevent the insurgents from taking possession of Antrim and I am not
          therefore acquainted with their first proceedings there; but I prevented many
          magistrates from leaving Belfast; and many others, being officers of yeomanry on
          permanent duty, did not attend the meeting. I ordered the 64th regiment and
          light battalion, and 100 of the 22d light dragoons, under col. Clavering and
          lieut. col. Lumley, with two 5 1/2 inch howitzers, and two curricle 6 pounders,
          to proceed with the utmost dispatch thro Lisburn to Antrim. I also ordered from
          the garrison 250 of the Monaghan militia, with lieut. col. Ker, and 50 of the
          22d dragoons, together with the Belfast yeomanry cavalry, with maj. Smith, to
          proceed under the command of col. Durham, with two curricle 6 pounders thro
          Carmoney and Templepatrick to Antrim, to co-operate with the other detachment.
          The dragoons under lieut. col. Lumley having made the attack upon the town
          without waiting for the light battalion, were fired upon from the windows of the
          houses and were consequently obliged to retreat with the loss of, I am sorry to
          add, three officers of that excellent regiment killed and wounded, and the two
          curricle 6 pounders. Co. Clavering, on his arrival near Antrim, finding the
          rebels pouring into that town in great force, very judiciously took post on a
          hill on the Lisburn side and reported his situation to M. Gen. Goldie. In the
          mean time col. Durham, with his whole detachment, proceeded to within half a
          mile of Antrim, and after a cannonade of half an hour, drove the insurgents
          completely out of the town and retook the two curricle guns, together with 1
          brass 6 pounder, very badly mounted, of which, it seems, the rebels and two
          supposed to have been smuggled out of Belfast. The col. then proceeded without
          the loss of a man, thro the town, (when, for obvious reasons, suffered much) to
          Shane's Castle and Randelstown, in which direction the principal part of the
          rebels fled. He remains there still for orders from me. Lord O'Neil, I am sorry
          to say, is dangerously wounded.
          Lieut.-Col. Leslie, of the Tay Fencibles, reports to me from Carrickfergus,
          that Lieutenant Small, with a detachment of twenty men of that corps, in the
          barrack at Larne, defended themselves most gallantly against the attack of a
          numerous body and maintained their post, with the loss of two killed and three
          wounded, including the Lieutenant. I have ordered them into head-quarters at
          Carrickfergus. The Glenarm Yeomanry (sixty strong) being also threatened by an
          attack, in the course of the day took possession of Glenarm Castle, where they
          will maintain themselves if possible. Brigadier General Knox, having heard of a
          party of the Toome Yeomanry being made prisoners by the Insurgents, sent to me
          very early this morning, to offer to march, by Toome Bridge, into the county of
          Antrim, which I have desired him to do, in order to liberate Colonel Dunham's
          detachment, and enable them to cross the country on their return to Belfast.
          Although the Insurrection has been pretty general in the county, I do not
          find they have had much success; but I have not received as yet any reports from
          Ballycastle, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Portglenore, and other places in the
          Northern parts, in which Yeomanry are stationed.- As my information led to a
          general rising in the county of Down, I have been obliged to call in all the
          small detachments of the York Fencibles to Newtown Ardes. Colonel Stapleton has
          everything in readiness to move at a moment's warning. The Yeomanry are all on
          permanent duty throughout the counties of Down and Antrim; and have distributed
          arms to 140 loyal men in Belfast, who will be attached to the Monaghan and
          Fifeshire regiiments and thereby become very useful. Offers of service are very
          numerous.
          I cannot close this letter without expressing to your Lordship my entire
          approbation of the conduct of the Troops of all descriptions in this part of the
          Northern District; their zeal and attention to their duties cannot be surpassed;
          and I trust that, when occasion offers, they will act in that concert which is
          so much to be wished for in military service. Lieutenant Colonel Lumley, I am
          afraid, is badly wounded in the leg; Cornet Dunn is killed; and Lieutenant
          Murphy slightly wounded; all of the 22d Dragoons, I understand, but not
          officially, that some Yeomanry from Lord Hereford's estate (I believe the
          Derriaghy) were with the Dragoons when they made the unsuccessful attack on
          Antrim; and they retired to Anstrun Castle where they were relieved by Colonel
          Durham. Colonel Durham deserves my warmest praise for his judicious and spirited
          conduct. He speaks in high terms of the detachment under him, and particularly
          the Monaghan Militia.- The Rev. Steele Dickson was taken up the night before
          last, and sent prisoner here, where he will be confined in a place of safety, as
          well as many others, whom it is now necessary to apprehend. Your Lordship may
          depend upon my individual exertions in this unpleasant contest; and as I am ably
          supported, I make no doubt, that we shall prevent the Rebels from gaining any
          advantages, and ultimately oblige them to return to their allegiance. I shall
          write again to-morrow, should any material event occur. I have the honor to be,
          &c.
          C. NUGENT, Major-General.
          Lord Viscount Castlereagh, &c.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 31, 2005
            Salem Gazette
            September 4, 1798

            Belfast, June 15.
            To the honour of the province of Ulster, only two counties, out of its nine,
            were led astray in the late disturbances.
            The rebellion in this part of the country may now be considered as
            completely suppressed.
            June 18.
            The Insurgents in the county of Wexford now consist, it is said, of 60,000,
            and are reported to be casting cannon at the founderies in Wexford and
            Enniscorthy.
            All communications between Denaghadee and Port Patrick is stopped for the
            present. The packet with the last mail sailed from Carrickfergus.

            Commercial Advertiser
            September 4, 1798

            PRIVATE LETTERS.
            Dublin, June 23
            I have just got sight of a letter received by a friend of mine, a few days
            since, from Ross; the part which I extract relates to the first engagement which
            took place there as follows:-
            "After the engagement, the army gave the Rebels no quarter; upwards of two
            hundred were killed in the main street of this town.
            "You may be very thankful you left this place, as the scenes of horror it
            has presented for some days back, make humanity shudder. Business is totally
            destroyed; the shops are all shut up, and nothing but dreadful warfare is to be
            seen or heard. The evening after the action, all the shops in town were
            plundered, and every person met in colored clothes was shot. A number of the
            town's people unfortunately fell in consequence; no discrimination was made, and
            innocent and guilty were equally involved; the colored coat was a sufficient
            mark of guilt with the executioner. Two hundred and thirty houses have already
            been burnt ????? some, indeed, were cabins."

            Connecticut Courant
            September 5, 1798

            REBELLION IN IRELAND
            London, June 26.
            The following official Bulleting has been published at Dublin the 22d.
            Extract of a letter from Gen. Larke to Lord Vicount, Castlereagh, dated
            Enniscorthy, June 21. '98.
            "Dublin Castle, June 22, 1798.
            "My Lord,
            "I have the honor to acquaint your Lordship for his Excellency the Lord
            Lieutenant's information, that the Rebel camp upon Vinegar-hill was attacked
            this morning at 7 o'clock, and carried in about an hour and a half.
            "The relative importance of this very strong proposition with our operations
            against Wexford made it necessary to combine our attacks as to insure success. A
            column, under Major-Generals Johnson and Eustace, was drawn from Ross, and began
            the attack upon the town of Enniscorthy, situate upon the right bank of the
            Salney, close under Vinegar-hill, upon the right and rather in the rear of it.
            "Lieutenant-General Dundas commanded the center column, supported by a
            column on the right, under Major-Generals Sir James Duff and Loetus; a fourth
            column, upon the left, was commanded by the Hon. Major-General Needham. To the
            determined spirit with which these columns were conducted, and the great
            gallantry of the troops, we are indebted for the short resistance of the rebels,
            who maintained their ground obstinately for the time above mentioned; but on
            perceiving the danger of being surrounded, they fled with great precipitation.
            Their loss is not yet ascertained, but it must be very considerable. The loss on
            our part is not great, the particulars of which I shall report as soon as
            possible. In the meantime I am sorry to say that Lieutenant Sandys of the
            Longford Regiment is killed; and that Col. King, of the Sligo, was wounded, in
            gallantly leading his regiment. Lord Blaney and Col. Versey, of the County
            Dublin Regiment, are also wounded, but I am happy to add, that the wounds of
            these three officers are very slight."
            [Here follows the General's obligations to various officers and the men for
            their courage and promptitude, and the return of 18 brass field-pieces and
            howitzers taken from the rebels, with stores, &c.]
            [Gen. Algill has defeated a party, killed 100. Col. O'Reeley has killed 150
            near Bandon. The papers are full of accounts of skirmishes, &c. in which the
            loyal troops are invariably successful.]
            September 5, 1798

            August 31.
            FROM ENGLAND - THE LATEST.
            We were last evening put in possession of London papers to June 26, brought
            by Capt. Choate from Liverpool; the following is a hasty summary of the most
            important of their contents.
            The Rebellion in Ireland still rages with violence. Many actions have
            occurred, in which the loyal troops were generally successful. Most of these
            were of no consequence, but none have been decisive as to the Insurrection.
            Numbers of the Revolters are daily surrendering. A French frigate has landed
            Military Stores; and others, it was said, were ordered, at all events, to
            proceed from Brest to Ireland. Marquis Cornwallis is appointed Lord Lieut. of
            Ireland and has arrived there. We see no charge against Camden. An American, the
            mate of the brig Sukey, got into the midst of a mob, where a person was whipping
            for treasonable practices, and there uttered many intemperate words---was
            arrested and sentenced to receive 500 lashes; but afterwards, in consideration
            of his country was pardoned. Proclamations by certain Loyal Generals interdict
            the further commission of many excesses which have occurred from the King's
            troops; but Cornwallis, is said to have orders to behave with increased military
            energy. Several English Militia Regiments have tendered their services to go
            over to Ireland, and have been accepted. Addresses in favor of mild measures in
            Ireland have been rejected in the British Parliament. The Debates are all
            secret. A Peer is not suffered to be present in the Tribune of the Commons.

            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
              Columbian Centinel
              September 8, 1798

              The Rebellion in Ireland.
              Dublin, July 10.
              As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
              of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighboring borders of Kildare and Wexford; nor
              does this exception surprize us, when we recollect that in all rebellions with
              which this unhappy island have been afflicted Wicklow was always the county last
              conquered.

              Commercial Advertiser
              Sept. 8, 1798

              London, July 6.
              A subscription was opened at Baston's Coffee House for the relief of the
              Individuals, or of the wives and children of such as have suffered, or may
              hereafter suffer in suppressing the unfortunate Rebellion in Ireland when the
              sum of 15,000l, sterling was subscribed in a few days.
              This is one among the numerous displays of that spirit of liberality which,
              to say the least, is a prominent feature in the character of the English nation.
              Of all public emergencies, and on all occasions of misfortune, either general or
              local, they are probably much more liberal than any other modern European
              nation.

              Connecticut Courant
              September 10, 1798

              The Rebellion in Ireland is considered to be so completely crushed, that Marquis
              Cornwallis has written home that there is no occasion for any reinforcements to
              be sent to Ireland. In consequence all the Militia regiments either embarked, or
              under orders, are countermanded and will remain in England.

              Albany Centinel
              September 14, 1798

              IRELAND.
              Dublin, July 7.
              The official accounts published yesterday evening contained the pleasing
              information of a signal rout given to the rebels in the county of Wicklow. All
              our private letters from that quarter agree in every respect with the public
              account, but mention the number of slain on the part of the rebels, in different
              ways, some stating them at seven hundred, while others say they amount to nearly
              two thousand. - Some idea of the number of the rebels engaged in this affair may
              be obtained by knowing that their army covered four miles and a half of a very
              wide road, besides multitudes covering the fields on each side; the loss of such
              an army in a tumultuary flight must be incalculable.
              From Kildare accounts are received, which state, that though a great number
              of the Rebels have availed themselves of the late proclamation, yet the
              collective force acting against government is very considerable. I have seen a
              letter from an officer of the Suffolk fencibles, quartered near Kilcullen
              bridge, which states that the Rebels are encamped near 16,000 strong, within a
              few miles of them; but they have received orders not to attempt to attack them
              till a reinforcement arrives.

              July 10.
              As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
              of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighbouring borders of Kildare and Wexford;
              nor does this exception surprize us when we recollect that in all rebellions
              with which this unhappy island has been afflicted, Wicklow was always the county
              last conquered.

              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
                Columbian Centinel
                September 29, 1798

                Of the Rebellion in Ireland,
                IRELAND, Dublin, Aug 2
                The rebel banditti, which, but a few weeks since, were composed of a body at
                Vinegar-Hill, of nineteen thousand strong; at Linkinstown-Hill, of fifteen
                thousand; at the town of Wexford and its vicinities, near the sea side, of eight
                thousand; and at Enniscorthy, Carnew, and other parts of the county of Wexford,
                of about ten thousand more, independent of the numerous hordes in the counties
                of Kildaire, Wicklow, Carlow, Meath, the Queen's County, &c. are now reduced to
                parties plundering marauders, from thirty to sixty in number, some of which have
                been already cut to pieces, and others separating and accepting the terms of
                pardon, already graciously proffered - so much for rebellion in its former and
                present state, and thus are its purposes entirely blasted.

                Albany Centinel
                Oct 5, 1798

                IRELAND
                Dublin, August 20.
                Since our last no accounts have reached town of consequence. The wretched
                rebels continue to be surprised in small parties, particularly in the County of
                Meath.

                July 21.
                The freedom of the city was unanimously voted to his Excellency the Marquis
                Cornwallis, with a congratulatory address upon his arrival in this Kingdom.
                The assembly upon a petition of certain of the Commons, unanimously
                disfranchised Hamilton Rowan, John Chambers and Napper Tandy, to be considered
                hereafter as aliens, the two former being accused of high treason, and bills for
                felony having been found against the latter, and all having absconded.

                July 24.
                The rebel prisoners who have surrendered and are now confined at the Royal
                Exchange, exhibit a just picture of the infernal cause in which they had
                embarked, in the most immoral and profligate behaviour, by continued blasphemy,
                and horrid oaths, cursing and abusing the yeomanry, and his Majesty's forces.
                They appear to be most depraved ruffians, equal to the commitment of any act of
                desperation.
                The great guns which had so long menaced the populace of Dublin from the
                Castle gates, were removed yesterday, and the Orange is getting fast out of
                season, it is now picked, and I trust will soon be wholly rotten, all which
                circumstances are no small indications of returning confidence and established
                tranquility.

                August 4.
                So general is the restoration of tranquility that the Generals of the
                several districts have written to the commanders of the yeomanry corps,
                announcing the state of the country to be such that there no longer existed
                occasion for their continuing on permanent duty. Sir James Duff, on signifying
                this agreeable intelligence to the volunteers of Limerick, and Nenall, passed
                high and deserved encomiums on their conduct, and expressed his hope, that they
                will occasionally assemble, as before the rebellion, for the preservation of
                that discipline which has rendered them so respectable.
                It was yesterday currently reported that in consequence of information, a
                rebel deposit of one hundred thousand guineas had been discovered.

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 14, 2005
                  Federal Galaxy
                  Oct 13, 1798
                  IRELAND.
                  Dublin, Aug. 4
                  The present state of the country bears the fairest prospect of
                  tranquility, and rebellion seems to shield its head in final oblivion. The
                  armed rebels who appeared in such force and numbers are no longer to be
                  found; vanquished in every battle, in which they had the hardihood to make
                  stand, and their leaders defeated in their abominable views, of universal
                  plunder and massacre; their accursed and baneful influence is in neither the
                  East or West province of this country, and the only trace that can be found
                  of that wretched and unprovoked rebellion, which so lately rent and agitated
                  this country, is that of armed banditties of robbers, who derive a
                  subsistence from plunder, and are composed of blood thirsty miscreants, whom
                  we hope our gallant yeomanry, as best acquainted with the interior of the
                  country, will bring to justice.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 18, 2005
                    Federal Gazette
                    October 19, 1798
                    DUBLIN, August 29.
                    THE INVASION.
                    Extract of a letter from Ballinrebe, Aug. 25.
                    "Friday morning, at two o'clock, we were alarmed by an express for the
                    Carabineers, the French being about to land at Killala, about 42 miles from
                    hence. Sir Thomas Chapman immediately set off, and found they had really
                    effected a landing, and had taken prisoners the bishop of Killala, his two
                    sons, Dean Thompson and his wife, Mr. Thomas Ellison, &c and had thrown up
                    some istrenchments. Sir Thomas, on reconnoitering their works, was
                    attacked, but after a smart skirmish, had only a few men, about 8, slightly
                    wounded, and a serjeant missing. Our troops killed one of their officers,
                    and retreated to Castlebar, where they are now waiting for a supply of
                    troops, who are hourly passing through this quarter, and it is thought will
                    proceed to-morrow to attack them.
                    "On Sir Thomas Chapman's retreat, the enemy advanced as far as Ballina
                    (7 miles nearer us) but did not keep it long, having conceived it prudent to
                    return to their first position. They picked up several prisoners, among them
                    Sir William Boyd.
                    "The alarm occasioned by the appearance of the enemy has crowded this
                    town, a number of families having deserted their habitations not only from
                    the neighborhood of Killala, but from parts within two miles of us. Thank
                    God, there is a considerable body of troops and ordnance in motion, and the
                    common people seem steady and well affected; a few days will terminate the
                    business."
                    The above letter mentions but 3 French frigates having appeared at
                    Killala.
                    Friday last the following notice was distributed through Athlone and its
                    neighborhood:
                    "Brigadier general Barnet has the satisfaction of informing the
                    inhabitants of Athlone and its neighborhood, that the French force landed at
                    Killala is very inconsiderable and that the force already marched against
                    them is sufficient to prevent their moving forward; and the general hopes,
                    in a very short time, to be able to announce their total defeat."
                    A variety of reports were yesterday circulated; among the most credited
                    were accounts that C. O'Hara, M.P. for Sligo, had, in attempting at the head
                    of his yeomanry corps to check the course of the French, fallen a prisoner
                    into their hands.
                    By the latest accounts we learn, that the French column had advanced on
                    its way to Sligo as far as the town of Ballina; but finding no aid or
                    countenance from the country people, had retired to Killala in the hope of
                    re-imbarking; but, it was added, that the frigates which brought them had
                    disappeared from the coast.
                    The landing of the enemy at Killala seems to be a matter artfully
                    designed, so as to have received assistance from the inhabitants of a part
                    of province of Ulster as well as Connaught before they proceeded further
                    into the country; but we are happy to find that loyalty is at present the
                    prevalent principle among the people, and that they have not been joined by
                    any of the inhabitants, and of course, the French forces must either
                    endeavor to escape to their vessels or else soon feel the fatal effects of
                    opposition to the troops of the country.
                    The spirit which the northern loyalists have ever displayed, has been
                    gloriously manifested by the Enniskilliners - four hundred of them, under
                    the command of cols Cole, marched on Friday evening toward Killala, leaving
                    700 behind them to protect the important pass of Enniskillen.
                    Since the above we hear, and hope, the intelligence well founded, that
                    the French have capitulated - and a still more pleasant circumstance, that
                    they were joined but by three of the natives;- these, together with an
                    outpost of the enemy, to whom they appeared to have acted as guides, are
                    said to have been taken by a party of the yeomanry. The French were defended
                    by 16 pieces of artillery.
                    The marquis Cornwallis's headquarters continue to be at Athlone.
                    A letter from Killala of the 26th states, that an heavy cannonade was
                    heard off the coast; and the probability is, that one of our squadrons has
                    fallen in with some of the enemy's ships.
                    From the different counties of Ulster, we receive the best-founded
                    assurances of tranquility.
                    A letter from Castlebar, under date of the 26th instant, mentions an
                    action having taken place between the enemy and the king's troops and
                    yeomanry, in which the latter sustained some trifling disadvantage; but
                    reinforcements being in movement from various directions, it was hourly
                    expected that the enemy must surrender, or be entirely cut off.
                    It is with much concern that we present to the public the official
                    account published yesterday, of a check received by the king's forces under
                    general Luke.
                    The circumstances, as far as we have been able to learn, are as follows:
                    General Luke, who left Dublin on Saturday last at 2 o'clock P.M. arrived
                    on the next evening at the village near Castlebar, where he had directed the
                    forces of the district to assemble with all possible speed; some of these
                    troops had many miles to march within a few hours, and in consequence at a
                    very early hour the next morning, but a small part of the intended army
                    having assembled (not quite one thousand men) the general was attacked on
                    the very point of rendezvousing by the enemy, who had marched in the course
                    of the evening and night before, in all force from Killala.
                    The king's troops, consisting of detachments from the Frazer fencibles,
                    Kilkenny and Limerick city militia, and royal Irish artillery, with six
                    field pieces, sustained the attack of the French with great gallantry, and
                    had there been any time for preparation or arrangement would have defeated
                    them; but the fencibles, having given way, and the six field pieces having
                    fallen into the hands of the enemy, the general found it necessary to
                    retreat with the loss of about twenty of his men.
                    His first retreat was to Hollymount, about seven miles southward of
                    Castlebar, from whence we understand he has since retreated still further
                    southward, through Tuam, in the county of Galway, to which latter place the
                    French troops are said to have advanced.
                    We have not learned whether general Lake has shaped his course to Galway
                    or Athlone.
                    Menatime every exertion of vigilance and precaution is adopted to
                    preserve the security of the rest of the country. The county of Wexford, so
                    lately the scene of warfare, is so far restored to peace as to justify the
                    marching of the 2d and 29th regiments toward the province of Connaught -
                    troops are moving from every quarter to the kingdom in the same direction -
                    the yeomanry have resumed their habits of vigilance throughout the country -
                    and in the city of Dublin the regulations which produced such salutary
                    effects during the late rebellion, have been revived.
                    General Craig, commander of the garrison, issued last night his orders
                    to have strictly enforced the directions forbidding any person whatever from
                    appearing in the streets at a later hour than 9 o'clock - and lord
                    Castlereagh by letter signed to the lord mayor the propriety of causing the
                    inhabitants of this city to continue pasted on their doors the names of the
                    persons residing in their houses. The different yoemanry guards were
                    strengthened and multiplied.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 22, 2005
                      The Herald of Liberty
                      November 5, 1798
                      The following MANIFESTO was transmitted to us from the County of Mayo and
                      said to be published there by the French General.
                      "Health and fraternity to the people of Ireland.
                      "The Great nation has sent me to you with a band of heroes, to deliver
                      you from the hands of tyrants, fly to our standards, and share with us the
                      glory of subduing the world. We will teach you the arts of war and to
                      despise the low pursuits of toil and industry - You shall live on the spoils
                      of war and the labor of others. The acquisition of misery, and the enjoyment
                      of ease is glorious; We have made all the nations we have conquered happy by
                      arresting their property; by applying it to the common cause and
                      consecrating it to the champions of liberty! Property is a common right,
                      belonging to the valor that seizes it.
                      We have already destroyed the unaspiring tranquility of Switzerland! and
                      the wealth and power, and the bigotry of Italy are no more! if then the
                      justice of France has thus extended its reforming vengeance to unoffending
                      nations, consider how much more rigor it will visit you if you shall slight
                      its benignity, fly to our standards and we will free you from spiritual as
                      well as temporal subjection.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 30, 2005
                        Connecticut Courant
                        November 19, 1798

                        REBELLION IN IRELAND
                        IRELAND, DUBLIN, Sept. 25.
                        From Ballyshannon, Sept. 18:
                        "The French were on this coast a few days since. A vessel mounting 169 guns,
                        and 200 men, a large park of artillery and a great quantity of small arms
                        and ammunition on board, arrived at Rutland, on Sunday last; they landed the
                        men but finding that the country people would not join them, they
                        re-embarked after pillaging the post-office, and other houses in that town,
                        they sailed thence to the eastward, on the same evening.
                        "It is confidently said, that James Napper Tandy was the conductor of
                        the above expedition; and from the course she steered from her departure
                        from Rutland, we have every reason to hope that she cannot escape the
                        vigilance of our cruizers on the Cork station."
                        A mail arrived this day from Dublin, but happy for Ireland - happy for
                        England!- order and quiet are now so generally restored that hardly any
                        other fact is left us to communicate in the way of intelligence.

                        The Gazette of the United States
                        November 20, 1798

                        BALLINA, September 24.
                        We have been here for some time in the greatest dread of being destroyed
                        by the rebels; but now, thank God, we are extricated from those fears - A
                        sore defeat has been given to the deluded wretches by his majesty's army, in
                        which above 1000 of them were killed between this place and Foxford. In this
                        vicinity they had committed great depredation. On entering houses they first
                        drank any wine they could get, then destroyed the furniture, and even the
                        gardens, and afterward carried off all plunder that was portable to Killala.
                        They were going to hang CALONEL, whose house they plundered. Some of the
                        French who lately landed at Killala were found among them, and are now
                        prisoners.