History Scrapbooks - 1798 Rebellion

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 22, 2005
      Federal Gazette & Baltimore Daily Advertiser
      August 11, 1798

      LONDON, June 4
      REBELLION IN IRELAND.
      London Gazette, Saturday, June 2
      Dublin Castle, May 29, 1798
      Official report from major-general, sir James Duff, dated Monastereven, May 29,
      1798.
      I marched from Limerick on Sunday morning, with 60 dragoons, the Dublin
      militia, their field pieces, with 2 curricle guns, to open the communication
      with Dublin, which I judged of the utmost importance to government. By means of
      cars for the infantry, I reached this place in 48 hours. I am now, at 7 o'clock
      this morning (Monday) marching to surround the town of Kildare, the head
      quarters of the rebels, with 7 pieces of artillery, 140 dragoons, and 350
      infantry. I have left the whole country behind me perfectly quiet, and well
      protected by means of the troops and yeomanry corps. I hope to be able to
      forward this to you by the mail coach, which will escort to Naas. I am
      sufficiently strong. You may depend upon my prudence and success. My guns were
      well mannered, and the troops in high spirits. The cruelties that have been
      committed on some of the officers and men, have exasperated them to a great
      degree. Of my future operations, I will endeavour to inform you.
      JAMES DUFF.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 23, 2005
        New Jersey Journal
        Aug 14, 1798

        DUBLIN, May 31.
        We are extremely happy to announce that, in several parts of the country,
        numbers of the infatuated peasantry are coming in, surrendering their arms, and
        taking the oath of allegiance. In the neighbourhood of Coolock, we hear, no less
        than 500 have come in in the course of Tuesday, and the day before,
        acknowledging their crimes, and delivering up their arms; and this, we
        understand, has been in a great measure owing to the humane exertions of Hon.
        Capt. Annesley.
        Recruits are joining in numbers every day, to the different yeomanry troops
        of this city, and new bodies also forming, one of which is to be called the
        Orange Corps, and, it is said, will be very numerous. In the country parts,
        likewise, the increase of the different corps of yeomanry is going forward with
        spirit, and the persons chosen are taken from the list of those who have
        voluntarily come forward to take the oath of allegiance, and indeed, very few
        will be excused unless such as are incapable of carrying arms, either by age,
        infirmity or their being employed in some necessary or indispensable avocation.
        June 2. This day Mr. Thomas Bacon, of Ship-street, a respectable master
        taylor, and formerly Major in the Goldsmith's Dublin Volunteers, was arrested in
        Golden-lane, dressed in female attire, and conveyed to the castle.
        Lord Henry Fitzgerald, who arrived here on Thursday, had yesterday a long
        interview with Lord Camden; but by no intreaty could he procure permission to
        free his brother, Lord Edward.
        Another execution took place this day on the Old Bridge.
        A respectable master shoe maker, who keeps a shop in South-King street was
        yesterday arrested, and, having received 200 lashes to extort a confession of
        what he knew not, was this day sent home to his disconsolate family, to be
        cured.
        In the affair of Blackmore-hill, six or seven peasants were shot, in their
        miserable cabins, by the military, after the insurgents had retreated.
        The town of Nass is totally destroyed, except a few remaining houses in the
        centre, occupied by the military.
        June 3. Enniscorthy (about 48 miles south of Dublin, on a fine river called
        Slaney) is in the hands of rebels, who have put every Protestant to death.
        Mr. Moor, of Rathangan, having drawn out his corps against the rebels, his
        lieutenant, who was a Catholic, cried out that "he would not fire on his fellow
        citizens." - "Nor I. Nor I," ran through the corps. On which Mr. Moor called
        out, "What I have no loyal men amongst you to ??????" Six or seven men instantly
        stood forward, who, with Mr. Moor, as instantly lost their lives, and the
        traitors fled to join the rebels.
        In Mr. Burchall's garden, which was dug up in every part, there were found
        long pikes and 12 muskets., which were concealed under some cabbage-plants; and
        in his day book was found the following creed in his own handwriting:- "I hold
        it to be an incontrovertible truism, that no Irish Catholic can be free while a
        Protestant lives."
        The rebels have burnt the bodies of several Protestants in some parts of the
        country. After the battle that was fought near Nass, the road was so encumbered
        with dead bodies, for near six miles, as to be scarcely passable.
        In the different engagements which have happened up to the present date, I
        am concerned to state that the loss of the Yeomanry is full 500 killed, besides
        12 officers; and the loss of the rebels exceeds 5000.
        More than 4000 rebels have encamped themselves on the hills of Tallagh,
        (about seven miles from Dublin) whole numbers have been considerably augmented
        by those who surrendered to Gen Dundas. The seven pretended leaders given up by
        these men, were seven miserable creatures who joined them thro' compulsion, and
        were about to desert them through fear. The event certainly shews there was no
        security for the engagements on the side of these rebels, for they fled
        instantly and joined the rebels at Talagh and Rathangan. And the rear of this
        army, with which Gen. Dundas had treated, marched off with their arms, fell in
        with and attacked Sir James Duff and his men, as he was escorting the mail to
        Naas. But he put to the sword about 300 of them.
        Mr. Grattan's steward was one of the principal leaders of the rebellion in
        the county of Wicklow. He is since taken, and has impeached his master. Dr.
        Edmond, who was stated to be hanged, was reprieved under the gallows, in
        consequence of making some very important discoveries.
        Houses have been found marked for the purpose of being fired, and the owners
        assassinated.
        Seventeen of Capt. Stratford's corps of yeomanry cavalry, all Papists, have
        been shot for being off their duty, and supposed to be intriguing with the
        rebels.
        The progress of the rebellion has been by no means so alarming within the
        last three days as its outset threatened. The county of Clare seems to have been
        cleared by the king's troops; and, except those who have retired into the
        fastnesses of the Wicklow mountains, and those who occupy the north-eastern
        quarter of the county of Wexford, there seems to be no existing force of
        treason, from which any thing can or ought to be apprehended.
        It is said that a messenger set off on Thursday with a warrant for the
        apprehension of Mr. Grattan, upon charges of the most serious nature.
        June 4. On Saturday last, Lieutenant John Clinch, of Capt. Ormsby's company
        of Rathcoole infantry, was executed at the front of the new prison pursuant to
        the sentence of a Court-Martial, who tried him the day before. At the place of
        execution he made an afflicting exhortation to his fellow soldiers,
        acknowledging the justice of his sentence and desiring that his fate might be a
        warning to all the cloth.- A boy, not thirteen years old, was taken on the hill
        of Rathcoole, and being closely interrogated, he gave such information as led to
        the discovery of a most treasonable conspiracy, in which the unfortunate officer
        above-mentioned was deeply implicated. The corps was to have joined the rebels
        the first attack, and murder Capt. Ormsby and his brothers. Others of the
        company are confined, and will be speedily brought to trial.
        This day Thomas Bacon, an eminent taylor and formerly a major of brigade in
        the old volunteers, was hanged, pursuant to the sentence of a Court-Martial on
        Carlisle bridge. From the barracks to the place of execution, he was conveyed in
        a cart through several principal and populous streets, in terrorem to the
        multitude, and such a melancholy and ignominious fate, attending a man of his
        rank in life, would in no other person excite more public interest, or have more
        effect, as he was very generally known. He is said to have confessed that he had
        knowledge of the conspiracy existing against the government, but was uniformly
        against suffering assassination to form a part of the system. He denied any
        knowledge of having been elected a major-general in the rebel army; but admitted
        that the rank had been offered him, and said he had refused it.- He has left a
        wife and several female children behind him, the oldest of whom, a very
        beautiful girl, excited much pity and compassion this day in the castle-yard,
        where she appeared in all the wildness of grief and distraction.
        Prisoners are taking up every day in great numbers. A Roman Catholic priest
        was arrested yesterday, of the name of Kearns; a Counsellor Bennet was also
        arrested.

        Extract of a letter from Lieut. Col. Longfield, of the royal Cork militia,
        to Lieut. Gen. Craig, dated at Rathangan, May. 29
        I arrived near this town at seven o'clock, and perceiving the rebels to have
        taken a position at the upper end of the town, near the church, and that they
        had in some parts barricaded the streets, and drawn chains across others, I
        placed my battalion guns in front, supported by the infantry, stationing the
        cavalry so as to support both, and commenced by firing ???? with the cannon -
        after the second discharge, I perceived the rebels to fly in my direction. I
        then gave orders for the cavalry to charge; which was executed by Capt. Pack and
        the detachment of the 5th dragoon guards, with the greatest spirits and
        judgment. Lord Trawly joined me immediately before the action with a serjeant
        and 12 of the Romney fencibles, and six of the yeomanry cavalry, who assisted
        with equal spirit in the charge.- To Col. Robinson, of the Perthshire regiment,
        Major Miller, Captain O'Callachan, and Capt. Campbell, of the 41st regiment, I
        am indebted for their spirited exertions and assistance. There are between 50
        and 60 of the rebels killed.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 24, 2005
          Norwich Packet
          Aug 14, 1798

          Progress of the Rebellion in Ireland

          London, May 25.
          The village of Lacklow, in Ireland, is burnt by the military. It consisted
          of 27 houses.
          Dublin is declared out of the King's peace.
          May 29. The Irish rebels have been defeated at Saggard and Naas. Several
          hundreds killed.
          May 30. The Dublin mail of the 25th inst. arrived yesterday, by which we
          have received, not only a confirmation of the dreadful accounts given in our
          last paper, but also some important details of several fresh actions which have
          taken place between the military and the rebels in various directions. The
          rebellion is now openly supported in most parts of the counties of Dublin,
          Kildare, and Meath, and even the neighbourhood of the metropolis has been
          assailed by the daring insurgents. In some instances they have made a desperate
          resistance, but in all they have been defeated with great slaughter, while his
          majesty's forces have sustained very little loss. Near Dunboyne the rebels
          ????????????? by a small party of the Reay fencibles, as stated in our paper of
          yesterday, remained undisturbed on the 24th, but on the following day a
          formidable army was sent against them, who happily succeeded in putting the
          whole body to flight.
          General Grenier, says a Paris paper, is shortly to sail from Dunkirk, with
          the troops destined for the invasion of England. The corps which were hitherto
          in cantonments at St. Omer, Bethune, Arras, &c. have marched to the coast.
          May 31. By the Dublin mail of the 26th, which came to hand yesterday, we
          have received accounts of several fresh actions having been fought between
          military and the insurgents, in the whole of which his Majesty's forces have
          completely triumphed. The rebellion has extended its influence into the counties
          of Wicklow and Carlow, so that there are now five counties in an open state of
          insurrection. The official details of two of the engagements, which took place
          at Hacketstown, in the county of Carlow, and at Baltinglass, in the county of
          Wicklow, state that the rebels lost in the former three hundred men, and in the
          latter between one and two hundred. Battles have also been fought at Clare,
          Ballimor, Berresttown, Lucan and Lusk, which terminated in a similar manner. The
          rebels have burnt the town of Kilcullen, and destroyed a great part of the
          respectable city of Carlow, at which place a dreadful conflict took place, the
          result of which was, that four hundred of the misguided wretches were slain,
          over whole mangled carcasses the travellers from Dublin to the southward were
          for a whole day obligated to pass. Such is the frightful picture which the
          intelligence of yesterday presents to our view. But this is not all; Our advices
          from the fourth state, that the county of Kilkenny is in a very perturbed
          situation; that the greatest apprehensions are entertained in the counties of
          Tipperary and Waterford; and that in the county of Cork, an open rebellion is
          hourly expected. The vicinity of the Metropolis continues to be infested with
          numerous bodies of the insurgents, against whom all the troops in the garrison
          have received orders to march, and the protection of the city is now committed
          to the yeomanry, who, form their numbers and activity, appear fully adequate to
          the undertaking. Two members of the Rathfarham volunteers, Messrs. Ledwich and
          Keogh, who headed the rebels in an action fought near that place, were on Sunday
          last, with eighteen others, executed in Dublin, pursuant to the sentences of
          several courts martial; on the same day, Dr. Esmond of the county of Kildare,
          also suffered death, for rebellious behavior. The rebels have possessed
          themselves of some unimportant posts not far distant from the metropolis, and
          destroyed the bridge of Kilcullen, to prevent a communication with the South.
          June 4. The official intelligence which has arrived from Dublin since our
          last publication, in some measure answers our expectations, and gratifies our
          hopes. A numerous body of rebels assembled on the curragh of Kildare (amounting
          to 4000) have laid down their arms, and given up a number of their leaders; that
          the communication between Dublin and Limerick, which had been cut off by the
          insurgents, has been restored; and that Sir James Duff has retaken the town of
          Kildare and killed between two and three hundred of the insurgents who had
          possession of that place, with the loss of three men killed and several wounded.
          The Gazette adds, that "the South is entirely quiet." We are sorry, however, our
          letters from that quarter do not admit us to subscribe to this last assertion.
          The rebels, we are on the contrary assured, are still in great force in the
          county of Wexford, and at a late hour ????? informed that a large detachment of
          the 13th regiment of foot, commanded by lieutenant colonel Colville, which
          marched from Waterford for that county, on the 8th ult, had been cut off by the
          Insurgents, who, to the amount of near 7000 men were in the possession of the
          city of Wexford and its neighbourhood, when the gentleman who states this
          unfortunate circumstance came away.
          June 6. Major gen. Fawcett having marched from Duncannon Fort, with a
          company of the Meath regiment, was surrounded by a very large body of rebels
          between Taghman and Wexford, and defeated; the general effecting his retreat to
          the fort. Official.
          The town of Newtown Barry was attacked June 1, by the rebels; they
          surrounded it in such a manner that Colonel L'Estrange at first retreated to
          collect his force; he then attacked them, drove them from the town with great
          slaughter ,and pursued them several miles, 500 of the rebels were killed; the
          col's. whole force was about 350. Official.
          A party of rebels in endeavouring to enter Carlow were defeated. Official.
          Yesterday's Irish Mails brought was to June 2. The rebels appear to derive
          military instruction from their frequent disasters. In the north of Ireland too,
          which has affected much loyalty, such ferocious indications of revolt have
          appeared, that martial law is declared there. This was done at Belfast on Sunday
          last.
          It is feared that Toulon fleet has eluded the vigilance of Ad. Nelson.
          June 8. Yesterday arrived the Waterford and Donaughadee mails. The rebels,
          to the amount of fifteen thousand men, are encamped on the mountain of Farth,
          situated near the sea, about ten miles from Wexford, so advantageous to dislodge
          them. Their front is protected by a numerous body of horse, and eight pieces of
          artillery and the sea is in their rear. Here they mean to make their grand
          stand; they have their apprehensions and are determined at any rate, to sell
          their lives dearly, and sooner than surrender, to throw themselves into the sea.
          Another account states that the rebels have been driven from Wexford, with
          the loss of 900 men, but that the king's military so experienced great loss, the
          pikes of the insurgents (14 feet in length) preventing the effectual use of the
          bayonet. It is said a company of the North Cork militia and a detachment of
          Meath militia have been cut off by the rebels.
          Capt. Moor, of Rathangan, having drawn out his company to engage the
          revolters, his lieut. cried, he would not fight against his fellow citizens.
          'Nor I,' 'nor I,' run threw the corps - when they massacred their capt. and fled
          to the insurgents.
          Sir Edward Crosbie has been executed as a rebel in Ireland.
          June 9. The Dublin mail of the 4th arrived yesterday. There has been no
          general action, and it is supposed the rebels mean to confine themselves to a
          system of predatory warfare. They frequently issue from their head quarters on
          the Wexford mountain and have some skirmishes, wherein victory has been
          generally on the side of the king's troops. On one instance the rebels
          triumphed. A detachment under col. Walpole, of 5 or 600 men, with artillery
          (marching to join the main army, with was about attacking the rebels in three
          different points) while they were passing a defile, were attacked; a severe
          conflict ensued, which terminated in the defeat of their commander, Walpole.
          Some compute the total loss at 300, others at a 100, on the part of the
          defeated. It is said the rebels took 5 pieces of artillery. We hope the most
          moderate of their accounts is exaggerated.
          Mr. Bacon, a taylor, elected maj-general of the revolters, has been
          arrested, and was hanged on Monday last. Martial law is declared in Limerick;
          and Irish affairs are daily more portentous. All troops, which can be spared
          from other parts, are marching to the insurgent counties of Wexford, Carlow and
          Wicklow; but the disaffected state of the north, necessitates the leaving many
          troops there, therefore 10,000 men are instantly to go from England.
          It is reported, a whole corps of yeomanry (loyal rifles) is disarmed in
          Dublin, having been discovered in league with the rebels.
          The rebels in Wexford, possessing both bays and harbors, it is thought they
          have already received some aid from France. They hold Enniscorthy, a very
          populous town.
          O'Coigley, a clergyman, has been executed in Ireland, for treason.
          Troops, it is said, are sailing from New Castle, Plymouth, Liverpool, &c.
          for Ireland.

          Dublin, May 31.
          M'Conn, an apothecary, is apprehended; and his apprentice deposes that he
          has, within a few days, sold above a thousand ounces of arsenic to various
          persons, who were servants.
          Yesterday, died of his wounds, capt. D.F. Byan, the officer who arrested
          lord Fitzgerald.
          In an attempt on Newtown, Mount Kennedy, the rebels were defeated with the
          loss of 40.
          The rector of Kyle and his whole family, infants and all, have been
          butchered by the rebels. The families of Mr. Bookey, Mr. Barrington and others
          have shared the same fate.
          The insurgent camp at Blackmoor Hill has been taken possession of by
          government, and the rebels driven from it, with the loss of their camp materials
          and 7 of their horde. They were 1000 strong, and were defeated by about 100.
          June 2. Among the rebels near Narragmore, was an Amazonian leader. She fired
          two shot at the col. of the regular troops. She is taken, but the treason act
          cannot well be literally put in force against her.
          It is said a large body of rebels have been defeated at Corce (Wexford
          county) and 140 killed.
          Lieut. Clinch, of the infantry, was executed on Saturday. He confessed his
          crime, viz conspiring to murder his capt. and desert the army with the company
          to the rebels.
          All respectable families that can are embarking for England, with all speed.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 25, 2005
            Gazette of the United States
            August 17, 1798

            The following letter from the north of Ireland, dated 31st May, was politely
            handed to us by a merchant of the first respectability. Its contents are
            interesting and authentic. -

            My dear Sir,
            I wrote you 10th current by captain Macey and by the Mohawk, captain Moore,
            since which the united Irish, without waiting for their good friends the French,
            have broken out into open rebellion. The plan was fixed for setting on fire the
            city of Dublin in different parts at the same instant on the night of the 19th
            current. Persons were to be placed at the houses of loyalists to murder them as
            soon as they (on the alarm of fire) should open their doors; most of the
            servants of the city were sworn to assist in this dreadful massacre, and to
            bring out all the bulky furniture and to lay it across the streets to impede the
            march of horse and foot, who might attempt to give aid to the sufferers. A
            bloody night it would have been, had not government received information of the
            conspiracy some short time previous to the fatal period, and taken every
            precaution to prevent its being carried to execution. Lord Edward Fitzgerald
            (brother to the Duke of Leinster, who was to have headed the rebel army, and for
            whose capture 1000l. reward was offered) having been taken that very evening
            after a desperate resistance, disconcerted their schemes for the attack of the
            city, but as the insurrection was to have been general, large bodies of these
            deluded people well armed collected on the 22d current, and attacked Nags,
            Dunshoughlin, Dunboyne, Monsterevan, Clandalkin, Kilcullen and appeared in force
            at Rathfarnam, Wicklow mountains, Curragh of Kildare, Stratford on Shaney, and
            other places; to prevent intelligence they stopped all the mail coaches leaving
            Dublin on the night of the 22d, burnt them and the mails containing the letters;
            and as most of the army is stationed in the south, and south west parts of the
            kingdom, where we expected the French would land, there were but few forces in
            Dublin or its vicinity; however these few in small parties, attacked the
            different bodies of the rebels and in every engagement the latter were defeated
            and it is computed that above 3000 of them were killed, many wounded and many
            prisoners taken, but not without some loss on the part of the king's troops by
            reason of the smallness of their numbers, in respect to those of the rebels, who
            in most of the actions were ten, twelve and more to one. They have committed
            many horrid murders, cutting the throats of men, women and children and burning
            whole families in their houses, following the barbarous example of their
            brethren in iniquity, the French. They say that the Roman Catholics will never
            be emancipated until the Protestants are totally destroyed. We have reason to be
            thankful that none of these insurrections were nearer to us than between 30 to
            40 miles. Hereabout and to the northward of this they are at present pretty
            quiet but it is hard to say how long they many continue so; the whole kingdom is
            now under military law.
            Yesterday's papers inform that 4000 of the rebels in the county of Kildare
            had surrendered on promise of pardon, they giving up their arms and their
            officers. I have therefore great hopes that this rebellion will soon be crushed
            without more blood being shed, and die away until the French invade us, when
            there is not doubt but numbers will join them. As there are no vessels here for
            America, and knowing how anxious you would be fore the safety of your friends in
            this part of the world, on hearing flying and vague reports of the rebellion by
            ships from England, the half of which would in all probability be either false
            or much exaggerated, I thought you would be highly gratified in hearing from me
            what you can depend on for truth. By the next opportunity I shall write you the
            catastrophe of this shocking business.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 28, 2005
              Commercial Advertiser
              Aug 28, 1798

              IRELAND
              THE REBELLION
              (From the London Gazette of Last Night)
              Whitehall, June 12.
              Dispatches of which the following are copies, have been this day received
              from his Excellency the Lord Lieut. of Ireland, by his Grace the Duke of
              Portland, His Majesty's principal Sec'ry of State for the home department.

              Dublin-Castle, June 9.
              MY LORD,
              It is with the utmost concern I acquaint your Grace, an insurrection has broken
              out in the county of Antrim; and in order to give your Grace the fullest
              information in my power, I enclose to you an extract of a letter received this
              morning by Lord Castlereach, from Maj. Gen. Nugent. I am in great hope, from the
              numbers and spirit of the loyal in that part of the country, the insurgents may
              be quickly checked. I have the honor to be, &c, &c.
              CAMDEN
              His Grace the Duke of Portland.
              Belfast, June 8.
              MY LORD,
              I have the honor to report to your lordship, that in consequence of
              information which I received early yesterday morning, of an intended
              insurrection in the county of Antrim, having for its first object the seizure of
              the magistrates, who were to assemble that day in the town of Antrim, I
              apprehended several persons in Belfast. I did not receive the intelligence early
              enough to prevent the insurgents from taking possession of Antrim and I am not
              therefore acquainted with their first proceedings there; but I prevented many
              magistrates from leaving Belfast; and many others, being officers of yeomanry on
              permanent duty, did not attend the meeting. I ordered the 64th regiment and
              light battalion, and 100 of the 22d light dragoons, under col. Clavering and
              lieut. col. Lumley, with two 5 1/2 inch howitzers, and two curricle 6 pounders,
              to proceed with the utmost dispatch thro Lisburn to Antrim. I also ordered from
              the garrison 250 of the Monaghan militia, with lieut. col. Ker, and 50 of the
              22d dragoons, together with the Belfast yeomanry cavalry, with maj. Smith, to
              proceed under the command of col. Durham, with two curricle 6 pounders thro
              Carmoney and Templepatrick to Antrim, to co-operate with the other detachment.
              The dragoons under lieut. col. Lumley having made the attack upon the town
              without waiting for the light battalion, were fired upon from the windows of the
              houses and were consequently obliged to retreat with the loss of, I am sorry to
              add, three officers of that excellent regiment killed and wounded, and the two
              curricle 6 pounders. Co. Clavering, on his arrival near Antrim, finding the
              rebels pouring into that town in great force, very judiciously took post on a
              hill on the Lisburn side and reported his situation to M. Gen. Goldie. In the
              mean time col. Durham, with his whole detachment, proceeded to within half a
              mile of Antrim, and after a cannonade of half an hour, drove the insurgents
              completely out of the town and retook the two curricle guns, together with 1
              brass 6 pounder, very badly mounted, of which, it seems, the rebels and two
              supposed to have been smuggled out of Belfast. The col. then proceeded without
              the loss of a man, thro the town, (when, for obvious reasons, suffered much) to
              Shane's Castle and Randelstown, in which direction the principal part of the
              rebels fled. He remains there still for orders from me. Lord O'Neil, I am sorry
              to say, is dangerously wounded.
              Lieut.-Col. Leslie, of the Tay Fencibles, reports to me from Carrickfergus,
              that Lieutenant Small, with a detachment of twenty men of that corps, in the
              barrack at Larne, defended themselves most gallantly against the attack of a
              numerous body and maintained their post, with the loss of two killed and three
              wounded, including the Lieutenant. I have ordered them into head-quarters at
              Carrickfergus. The Glenarm Yeomanry (sixty strong) being also threatened by an
              attack, in the course of the day took possession of Glenarm Castle, where they
              will maintain themselves if possible. Brigadier General Knox, having heard of a
              party of the Toome Yeomanry being made prisoners by the Insurgents, sent to me
              very early this morning, to offer to march, by Toome Bridge, into the county of
              Antrim, which I have desired him to do, in order to liberate Colonel Dunham's
              detachment, and enable them to cross the country on their return to Belfast.
              Although the Insurrection has been pretty general in the county, I do not
              find they have had much success; but I have not received as yet any reports from
              Ballycastle, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Portglenore, and other places in the
              Northern parts, in which Yeomanry are stationed.- As my information led to a
              general rising in the county of Down, I have been obliged to call in all the
              small detachments of the York Fencibles to Newtown Ardes. Colonel Stapleton has
              everything in readiness to move at a moment's warning. The Yeomanry are all on
              permanent duty throughout the counties of Down and Antrim; and have distributed
              arms to 140 loyal men in Belfast, who will be attached to the Monaghan and
              Fifeshire regiiments and thereby become very useful. Offers of service are very
              numerous.
              I cannot close this letter without expressing to your Lordship my entire
              approbation of the conduct of the Troops of all descriptions in this part of the
              Northern District; their zeal and attention to their duties cannot be surpassed;
              and I trust that, when occasion offers, they will act in that concert which is
              so much to be wished for in military service. Lieutenant Colonel Lumley, I am
              afraid, is badly wounded in the leg; Cornet Dunn is killed; and Lieutenant
              Murphy slightly wounded; all of the 22d Dragoons, I understand, but not
              officially, that some Yeomanry from Lord Hereford's estate (I believe the
              Derriaghy) were with the Dragoons when they made the unsuccessful attack on
              Antrim; and they retired to Anstrun Castle where they were relieved by Colonel
              Durham. Colonel Durham deserves my warmest praise for his judicious and spirited
              conduct. He speaks in high terms of the detachment under him, and particularly
              the Monaghan Militia.- The Rev. Steele Dickson was taken up the night before
              last, and sent prisoner here, where he will be confined in a place of safety, as
              well as many others, whom it is now necessary to apprehend. Your Lordship may
              depend upon my individual exertions in this unpleasant contest; and as I am ably
              supported, I make no doubt, that we shall prevent the Rebels from gaining any
              advantages, and ultimately oblige them to return to their allegiance. I shall
              write again to-morrow, should any material event occur. I have the honor to be,
              &c.
              C. NUGENT, Major-General.
              Lord Viscount Castlereagh, &c.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 31, 2005
                Salem Gazette
                September 4, 1798

                Belfast, June 15.
                To the honour of the province of Ulster, only two counties, out of its nine,
                were led astray in the late disturbances.
                The rebellion in this part of the country may now be considered as
                completely suppressed.
                June 18.
                The Insurgents in the county of Wexford now consist, it is said, of 60,000,
                and are reported to be casting cannon at the founderies in Wexford and
                Enniscorthy.
                All communications between Denaghadee and Port Patrick is stopped for the
                present. The packet with the last mail sailed from Carrickfergus.

                Commercial Advertiser
                September 4, 1798

                PRIVATE LETTERS.
                Dublin, June 23
                I have just got sight of a letter received by a friend of mine, a few days
                since, from Ross; the part which I extract relates to the first engagement which
                took place there as follows:-
                "After the engagement, the army gave the Rebels no quarter; upwards of two
                hundred were killed in the main street of this town.
                "You may be very thankful you left this place, as the scenes of horror it
                has presented for some days back, make humanity shudder. Business is totally
                destroyed; the shops are all shut up, and nothing but dreadful warfare is to be
                seen or heard. The evening after the action, all the shops in town were
                plundered, and every person met in colored clothes was shot. A number of the
                town's people unfortunately fell in consequence; no discrimination was made, and
                innocent and guilty were equally involved; the colored coat was a sufficient
                mark of guilt with the executioner. Two hundred and thirty houses have already
                been burnt ????? some, indeed, were cabins."

                Connecticut Courant
                September 5, 1798

                REBELLION IN IRELAND
                London, June 26.
                The following official Bulleting has been published at Dublin the 22d.
                Extract of a letter from Gen. Larke to Lord Vicount, Castlereagh, dated
                Enniscorthy, June 21. '98.
                "Dublin Castle, June 22, 1798.
                "My Lord,
                "I have the honor to acquaint your Lordship for his Excellency the Lord
                Lieutenant's information, that the Rebel camp upon Vinegar-hill was attacked
                this morning at 7 o'clock, and carried in about an hour and a half.
                "The relative importance of this very strong proposition with our operations
                against Wexford made it necessary to combine our attacks as to insure success. A
                column, under Major-Generals Johnson and Eustace, was drawn from Ross, and began
                the attack upon the town of Enniscorthy, situate upon the right bank of the
                Salney, close under Vinegar-hill, upon the right and rather in the rear of it.
                "Lieutenant-General Dundas commanded the center column, supported by a
                column on the right, under Major-Generals Sir James Duff and Loetus; a fourth
                column, upon the left, was commanded by the Hon. Major-General Needham. To the
                determined spirit with which these columns were conducted, and the great
                gallantry of the troops, we are indebted for the short resistance of the rebels,
                who maintained their ground obstinately for the time above mentioned; but on
                perceiving the danger of being surrounded, they fled with great precipitation.
                Their loss is not yet ascertained, but it must be very considerable. The loss on
                our part is not great, the particulars of which I shall report as soon as
                possible. In the meantime I am sorry to say that Lieutenant Sandys of the
                Longford Regiment is killed; and that Col. King, of the Sligo, was wounded, in
                gallantly leading his regiment. Lord Blaney and Col. Versey, of the County
                Dublin Regiment, are also wounded, but I am happy to add, that the wounds of
                these three officers are very slight."
                [Here follows the General's obligations to various officers and the men for
                their courage and promptitude, and the return of 18 brass field-pieces and
                howitzers taken from the rebels, with stores, &c.]
                [Gen. Algill has defeated a party, killed 100. Col. O'Reeley has killed 150
                near Bandon. The papers are full of accounts of skirmishes, &c. in which the
                loyal troops are invariably successful.]
                September 5, 1798

                August 31.
                FROM ENGLAND - THE LATEST.
                We were last evening put in possession of London papers to June 26, brought
                by Capt. Choate from Liverpool; the following is a hasty summary of the most
                important of their contents.
                The Rebellion in Ireland still rages with violence. Many actions have
                occurred, in which the loyal troops were generally successful. Most of these
                were of no consequence, but none have been decisive as to the Insurrection.
                Numbers of the Revolters are daily surrendering. A French frigate has landed
                Military Stores; and others, it was said, were ordered, at all events, to
                proceed from Brest to Ireland. Marquis Cornwallis is appointed Lord Lieut. of
                Ireland and has arrived there. We see no charge against Camden. An American, the
                mate of the brig Sukey, got into the midst of a mob, where a person was whipping
                for treasonable practices, and there uttered many intemperate words---was
                arrested and sentenced to receive 500 lashes; but afterwards, in consideration
                of his country was pardoned. Proclamations by certain Loyal Generals interdict
                the further commission of many excesses which have occurred from the King's
                troops; but Cornwallis, is said to have orders to behave with increased military
                energy. Several English Militia Regiments have tendered their services to go
                over to Ireland, and have been accepted. Addresses in favor of mild measures in
                Ireland have been rejected in the British Parliament. The Debates are all
                secret. A Peer is not suffered to be present in the Tribune of the Commons.

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
                  Columbian Centinel
                  September 8, 1798

                  The Rebellion in Ireland.
                  Dublin, July 10.
                  As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
                  of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighboring borders of Kildare and Wexford; nor
                  does this exception surprize us, when we recollect that in all rebellions with
                  which this unhappy island have been afflicted Wicklow was always the county last
                  conquered.

                  Commercial Advertiser
                  Sept. 8, 1798

                  London, July 6.
                  A subscription was opened at Baston's Coffee House for the relief of the
                  Individuals, or of the wives and children of such as have suffered, or may
                  hereafter suffer in suppressing the unfortunate Rebellion in Ireland when the
                  sum of 15,000l, sterling was subscribed in a few days.
                  This is one among the numerous displays of that spirit of liberality which,
                  to say the least, is a prominent feature in the character of the English nation.
                  Of all public emergencies, and on all occasions of misfortune, either general or
                  local, they are probably much more liberal than any other modern European
                  nation.

                  Connecticut Courant
                  September 10, 1798

                  The Rebellion in Ireland is considered to be so completely crushed, that Marquis
                  Cornwallis has written home that there is no occasion for any reinforcements to
                  be sent to Ireland. In consequence all the Militia regiments either embarked, or
                  under orders, are countermanded and will remain in England.

                  Albany Centinel
                  September 14, 1798

                  IRELAND.
                  Dublin, July 7.
                  The official accounts published yesterday evening contained the pleasing
                  information of a signal rout given to the rebels in the county of Wicklow. All
                  our private letters from that quarter agree in every respect with the public
                  account, but mention the number of slain on the part of the rebels, in different
                  ways, some stating them at seven hundred, while others say they amount to nearly
                  two thousand. - Some idea of the number of the rebels engaged in this affair may
                  be obtained by knowing that their army covered four miles and a half of a very
                  wide road, besides multitudes covering the fields on each side; the loss of such
                  an army in a tumultuary flight must be incalculable.
                  From Kildare accounts are received, which state, that though a great number
                  of the Rebels have availed themselves of the late proclamation, yet the
                  collective force acting against government is very considerable. I have seen a
                  letter from an officer of the Suffolk fencibles, quartered near Kilcullen
                  bridge, which states that the Rebels are encamped near 16,000 strong, within a
                  few miles of them; but they have received orders not to attempt to attack them
                  till a reinforcement arrives.

                  July 10.
                  As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
                  of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighbouring borders of Kildare and Wexford;
                  nor does this exception surprize us when we recollect that in all rebellions
                  with which this unhappy island has been afflicted, Wicklow was always the county
                  last conquered.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
                    Columbian Centinel
                    September 29, 1798

                    Of the Rebellion in Ireland,
                    IRELAND, Dublin, Aug 2
                    The rebel banditti, which, but a few weeks since, were composed of a body at
                    Vinegar-Hill, of nineteen thousand strong; at Linkinstown-Hill, of fifteen
                    thousand; at the town of Wexford and its vicinities, near the sea side, of eight
                    thousand; and at Enniscorthy, Carnew, and other parts of the county of Wexford,
                    of about ten thousand more, independent of the numerous hordes in the counties
                    of Kildaire, Wicklow, Carlow, Meath, the Queen's County, &c. are now reduced to
                    parties plundering marauders, from thirty to sixty in number, some of which have
                    been already cut to pieces, and others separating and accepting the terms of
                    pardon, already graciously proffered - so much for rebellion in its former and
                    present state, and thus are its purposes entirely blasted.

                    Albany Centinel
                    Oct 5, 1798

                    IRELAND
                    Dublin, August 20.
                    Since our last no accounts have reached town of consequence. The wretched
                    rebels continue to be surprised in small parties, particularly in the County of
                    Meath.

                    July 21.
                    The freedom of the city was unanimously voted to his Excellency the Marquis
                    Cornwallis, with a congratulatory address upon his arrival in this Kingdom.
                    The assembly upon a petition of certain of the Commons, unanimously
                    disfranchised Hamilton Rowan, John Chambers and Napper Tandy, to be considered
                    hereafter as aliens, the two former being accused of high treason, and bills for
                    felony having been found against the latter, and all having absconded.

                    July 24.
                    The rebel prisoners who have surrendered and are now confined at the Royal
                    Exchange, exhibit a just picture of the infernal cause in which they had
                    embarked, in the most immoral and profligate behaviour, by continued blasphemy,
                    and horrid oaths, cursing and abusing the yeomanry, and his Majesty's forces.
                    They appear to be most depraved ruffians, equal to the commitment of any act of
                    desperation.
                    The great guns which had so long menaced the populace of Dublin from the
                    Castle gates, were removed yesterday, and the Orange is getting fast out of
                    season, it is now picked, and I trust will soon be wholly rotten, all which
                    circumstances are no small indications of returning confidence and established
                    tranquility.

                    August 4.
                    So general is the restoration of tranquility that the Generals of the
                    several districts have written to the commanders of the yeomanry corps,
                    announcing the state of the country to be such that there no longer existed
                    occasion for their continuing on permanent duty. Sir James Duff, on signifying
                    this agreeable intelligence to the volunteers of Limerick, and Nenall, passed
                    high and deserved encomiums on their conduct, and expressed his hope, that they
                    will occasionally assemble, as before the rebellion, for the preservation of
                    that discipline which has rendered them so respectable.
                    It was yesterday currently reported that in consequence of information, a
                    rebel deposit of one hundred thousand guineas had been discovered.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 14, 2005
                      Federal Galaxy
                      Oct 13, 1798
                      IRELAND.
                      Dublin, Aug. 4
                      The present state of the country bears the fairest prospect of
                      tranquility, and rebellion seems to shield its head in final oblivion. The
                      armed rebels who appeared in such force and numbers are no longer to be
                      found; vanquished in every battle, in which they had the hardihood to make
                      stand, and their leaders defeated in their abominable views, of universal
                      plunder and massacre; their accursed and baneful influence is in neither the
                      East or West province of this country, and the only trace that can be found
                      of that wretched and unprovoked rebellion, which so lately rent and agitated
                      this country, is that of armed banditties of robbers, who derive a
                      subsistence from plunder, and are composed of blood thirsty miscreants, whom
                      we hope our gallant yeomanry, as best acquainted with the interior of the
                      country, will bring to justice.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 18, 2005
                        Federal Gazette
                        October 19, 1798
                        DUBLIN, August 29.
                        THE INVASION.
                        Extract of a letter from Ballinrebe, Aug. 25.
                        "Friday morning, at two o'clock, we were alarmed by an express for the
                        Carabineers, the French being about to land at Killala, about 42 miles from
                        hence. Sir Thomas Chapman immediately set off, and found they had really
                        effected a landing, and had taken prisoners the bishop of Killala, his two
                        sons, Dean Thompson and his wife, Mr. Thomas Ellison, &c and had thrown up
                        some istrenchments. Sir Thomas, on reconnoitering their works, was
                        attacked, but after a smart skirmish, had only a few men, about 8, slightly
                        wounded, and a serjeant missing. Our troops killed one of their officers,
                        and retreated to Castlebar, where they are now waiting for a supply of
                        troops, who are hourly passing through this quarter, and it is thought will
                        proceed to-morrow to attack them.
                        "On Sir Thomas Chapman's retreat, the enemy advanced as far as Ballina
                        (7 miles nearer us) but did not keep it long, having conceived it prudent to
                        return to their first position. They picked up several prisoners, among them
                        Sir William Boyd.
                        "The alarm occasioned by the appearance of the enemy has crowded this
                        town, a number of families having deserted their habitations not only from
                        the neighborhood of Killala, but from parts within two miles of us. Thank
                        God, there is a considerable body of troops and ordnance in motion, and the
                        common people seem steady and well affected; a few days will terminate the
                        business."
                        The above letter mentions but 3 French frigates having appeared at
                        Killala.
                        Friday last the following notice was distributed through Athlone and its
                        neighborhood:
                        "Brigadier general Barnet has the satisfaction of informing the
                        inhabitants of Athlone and its neighborhood, that the French force landed at
                        Killala is very inconsiderable and that the force already marched against
                        them is sufficient to prevent their moving forward; and the general hopes,
                        in a very short time, to be able to announce their total defeat."
                        A variety of reports were yesterday circulated; among the most credited
                        were accounts that C. O'Hara, M.P. for Sligo, had, in attempting at the head
                        of his yeomanry corps to check the course of the French, fallen a prisoner
                        into their hands.
                        By the latest accounts we learn, that the French column had advanced on
                        its way to Sligo as far as the town of Ballina; but finding no aid or
                        countenance from the country people, had retired to Killala in the hope of
                        re-imbarking; but, it was added, that the frigates which brought them had
                        disappeared from the coast.
                        The landing of the enemy at Killala seems to be a matter artfully
                        designed, so as to have received assistance from the inhabitants of a part
                        of province of Ulster as well as Connaught before they proceeded further
                        into the country; but we are happy to find that loyalty is at present the
                        prevalent principle among the people, and that they have not been joined by
                        any of the inhabitants, and of course, the French forces must either
                        endeavor to escape to their vessels or else soon feel the fatal effects of
                        opposition to the troops of the country.
                        The spirit which the northern loyalists have ever displayed, has been
                        gloriously manifested by the Enniskilliners - four hundred of them, under
                        the command of cols Cole, marched on Friday evening toward Killala, leaving
                        700 behind them to protect the important pass of Enniskillen.
                        Since the above we hear, and hope, the intelligence well founded, that
                        the French have capitulated - and a still more pleasant circumstance, that
                        they were joined but by three of the natives;- these, together with an
                        outpost of the enemy, to whom they appeared to have acted as guides, are
                        said to have been taken by a party of the yeomanry. The French were defended
                        by 16 pieces of artillery.
                        The marquis Cornwallis's headquarters continue to be at Athlone.
                        A letter from Killala of the 26th states, that an heavy cannonade was
                        heard off the coast; and the probability is, that one of our squadrons has
                        fallen in with some of the enemy's ships.
                        From the different counties of Ulster, we receive the best-founded
                        assurances of tranquility.
                        A letter from Castlebar, under date of the 26th instant, mentions an
                        action having taken place between the enemy and the king's troops and
                        yeomanry, in which the latter sustained some trifling disadvantage; but
                        reinforcements being in movement from various directions, it was hourly
                        expected that the enemy must surrender, or be entirely cut off.
                        It is with much concern that we present to the public the official
                        account published yesterday, of a check received by the king's forces under
                        general Luke.
                        The circumstances, as far as we have been able to learn, are as follows:
                        General Luke, who left Dublin on Saturday last at 2 o'clock P.M. arrived
                        on the next evening at the village near Castlebar, where he had directed the
                        forces of the district to assemble with all possible speed; some of these
                        troops had many miles to march within a few hours, and in consequence at a
                        very early hour the next morning, but a small part of the intended army
                        having assembled (not quite one thousand men) the general was attacked on
                        the very point of rendezvousing by the enemy, who had marched in the course
                        of the evening and night before, in all force from Killala.
                        The king's troops, consisting of detachments from the Frazer fencibles,
                        Kilkenny and Limerick city militia, and royal Irish artillery, with six
                        field pieces, sustained the attack of the French with great gallantry, and
                        had there been any time for preparation or arrangement would have defeated
                        them; but the fencibles, having given way, and the six field pieces having
                        fallen into the hands of the enemy, the general found it necessary to
                        retreat with the loss of about twenty of his men.
                        His first retreat was to Hollymount, about seven miles southward of
                        Castlebar, from whence we understand he has since retreated still further
                        southward, through Tuam, in the county of Galway, to which latter place the
                        French troops are said to have advanced.
                        We have not learned whether general Lake has shaped his course to Galway
                        or Athlone.
                        Menatime every exertion of vigilance and precaution is adopted to
                        preserve the security of the rest of the country. The county of Wexford, so
                        lately the scene of warfare, is so far restored to peace as to justify the
                        marching of the 2d and 29th regiments toward the province of Connaught -
                        troops are moving from every quarter to the kingdom in the same direction -
                        the yeomanry have resumed their habits of vigilance throughout the country -
                        and in the city of Dublin the regulations which produced such salutary
                        effects during the late rebellion, have been revived.
                        General Craig, commander of the garrison, issued last night his orders
                        to have strictly enforced the directions forbidding any person whatever from
                        appearing in the streets at a later hour than 9 o'clock - and lord
                        Castlereagh by letter signed to the lord mayor the propriety of causing the
                        inhabitants of this city to continue pasted on their doors the names of the
                        persons residing in their houses. The different yoemanry guards were
                        strengthened and multiplied.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 22, 2005
                          The Herald of Liberty
                          November 5, 1798
                          The following MANIFESTO was transmitted to us from the County of Mayo and
                          said to be published there by the French General.
                          "Health and fraternity to the people of Ireland.
                          "The Great nation has sent me to you with a band of heroes, to deliver
                          you from the hands of tyrants, fly to our standards, and share with us the
                          glory of subduing the world. We will teach you the arts of war and to
                          despise the low pursuits of toil and industry - You shall live on the spoils
                          of war and the labor of others. The acquisition of misery, and the enjoyment
                          of ease is glorious; We have made all the nations we have conquered happy by
                          arresting their property; by applying it to the common cause and
                          consecrating it to the champions of liberty! Property is a common right,
                          belonging to the valor that seizes it.
                          We have already destroyed the unaspiring tranquility of Switzerland! and
                          the wealth and power, and the bigotry of Italy are no more! if then the
                          justice of France has thus extended its reforming vengeance to unoffending
                          nations, consider how much more rigor it will visit you if you shall slight
                          its benignity, fly to our standards and we will free you from spiritual as
                          well as temporal subjection.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 30, 2005
                            Connecticut Courant
                            November 19, 1798

                            REBELLION IN IRELAND
                            IRELAND, DUBLIN, Sept. 25.
                            From Ballyshannon, Sept. 18:
                            "The French were on this coast a few days since. A vessel mounting 169 guns,
                            and 200 men, a large park of artillery and a great quantity of small arms
                            and ammunition on board, arrived at Rutland, on Sunday last; they landed the
                            men but finding that the country people would not join them, they
                            re-embarked after pillaging the post-office, and other houses in that town,
                            they sailed thence to the eastward, on the same evening.
                            "It is confidently said, that James Napper Tandy was the conductor of
                            the above expedition; and from the course she steered from her departure
                            from Rutland, we have every reason to hope that she cannot escape the
                            vigilance of our cruizers on the Cork station."
                            A mail arrived this day from Dublin, but happy for Ireland - happy for
                            England!- order and quiet are now so generally restored that hardly any
                            other fact is left us to communicate in the way of intelligence.

                            The Gazette of the United States
                            November 20, 1798

                            BALLINA, September 24.
                            We have been here for some time in the greatest dread of being destroyed
                            by the rebels; but now, thank God, we are extricated from those fears - A
                            sore defeat has been given to the deluded wretches by his majesty's army, in
                            which above 1000 of them were killed between this place and Foxford. In this
                            vicinity they had committed great depredation. On entering houses they first
                            drank any wine they could get, then destroyed the furniture, and even the
                            gardens, and afterward carried off all plunder that was portable to Killala.
                            They were going to hang CALONEL, whose house they plundered. Some of the
                            French who lately landed at Killala were found among them, and are now
                            prisoners.