History Scrapbooks - 1798 Rebellion

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 16, 2005
      Columbian Sentinel
      Aug 8, 1798

      REVOLUTION IN IRELAND.
      London, May 22 to June 9.
      May 22. The affairs of Ireland have at length arrived at the most
      alarming and melancholy pitch. After the capture of Lord Fitzgerald and the
      consequent developments of the plans of the United Irishmen, and other
      insurgents; - (on of which was to possess themselves of the city of Dublin and
      the castle) government was necessitated to declare the metropolis and other
      places in a state of rebellion. Hostilities immediately commenced. The rebel
      village of Lacklan (17 houses) was destroyed. Several bloody fracas took place
      even in the centre of Dublin. The Parliament addressed the Lord Lieutenant in
      terms of the most unshaken loyalty.
      May 29. Several hundred rebels were killed at Sagara and Naas. In the
      counties of Dublin, Kildare, and Meath, the rebellion was openly supported; and
      several severe actions have taken place, in which, although the rebels have
      fought well, they were defeated with immense laughter. At Dunboyne a party has
      been dispersed. In most instances His Majesty's loyal troops have conquered.
      May 30. Five counties are not in a state of rebellion viz. Dublin,
      Kildaire, Meath, Wicklow, and Carlow. In the two latter the rebels have lost at
      Hacketstown and Baltinglass, 500 men; besides many more at Clare, Ballinor,
      Barretstown, Lucan and Lusk. Kilcullen and a part of Carlow have been destroyed
      by the rebels; - at the latter place 400 of them "bit the dust;" whole carcasses
      were left "to taint the wind." Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford and Cork are
      perturbed; and the vicinity of the metropolis is threatened. LEDWICH, KEOGH, Dr.
      ESMOND, leaders and 18 other rebels have been executed at Dublin. The rebels
      have destroyed the bridge at Kilcullen and taken possession of a few unimportant
      ports.
      JUNE 1. The rebels have been defeated at Taragh-Hill, 10 miles from
      Dublin, by the Fencibles and Yeomanry - 35 rebels killed, no quarters allowed.
      The loyal troops had about 30 killed and wounded. Four thousand rebels at
      Kildaire have laid down their arms and given up their leaders, who will be hung.
      JUNE 4. Sir JAMES DUFF has retaken Kildaire, killed 240 rebels besides
      wounded. The rebels are in force in Wexford, and have cut off a detachment of
      the 13th regiment commanded by Lt. Colonel COLVELLE. It is said 7000 insurgents
      possess Wexford. Col. LONGFIELD has driven the rebels from Rathingan, in
      Westford county, killing 50 odd of them.
      JUNE 5. Gen. FAWCETT with a detachment of the Meath regiment has been
      surrounded near Duncanon Fort and defeated; but effected his retreat to the
      fort. Newtownbarry, has been taken by the rebels, but has been retaken by
      assault, by Col. L'ESTRANGE, 500 of the rebels were killed. A party of them has
      been defeated at Caslon.- The insurgent camp at Blackmare hill, is broken up,
      1000 rebels have been defeated by a 100 regulars. At Goree 140 of the rebels
      have been killed. At Ballycanew 200 have been slain; and at Rochflung, a party
      of them who were plundering were defeated.
      JUNE 6. The North of Ireland is affected; at Belfast martial law has
      been declared by Major Gen. Sir CHARLES ASGILL.
      JUNE 7. The rebellion still rages in Wicklow, Carlow, and Wexford. Many
      of the insurgents are killed; and many inhabitants are obliged to fly to Wales
      for refuge.
      JUNE 8. The great body of the rebels is posted on Wexford heigth near
      the sea. They count 15000 with 8 pieces of artillery and a strong position. They
      swear to die in the last ditch, or throw themselves into the sea. The city of
      Wexford is retaken. The rebels lost 900 and the King's troops many from the
      4-feet pikes of the insurgents, against which the bayonet was useless. A general
      action with the rebels is momently expected. An attack was in contemplation when
      the last accounts came away. In one instance the rebels have conquered. -- Col.
      WALPOLE, with a detachment of 500 men, with artillery, proceeding to join the
      main army, commanded by Gens. Eustace, Fawcett and Johnston, and to cooperate
      with them in the general attack was assailed in a defile and defeated. The
      Colonel and 300 more were killed, and the party left five pieces of artillery.
      The rebels live in tents and nightly send out foraging parties to collect
      provisions. But as they have no arrangements and but small finances, their
      complete subjugation may be expected;- and the arm of government made strong by
      the measure. Martial law is declared at Limerick.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 22, 2005
        Federal Gazette & Baltimore Daily Advertiser
        August 11, 1798

        LONDON, June 4
        REBELLION IN IRELAND.
        London Gazette, Saturday, June 2
        Dublin Castle, May 29, 1798
        Official report from major-general, sir James Duff, dated Monastereven, May 29,
        1798.
        I marched from Limerick on Sunday morning, with 60 dragoons, the Dublin
        militia, their field pieces, with 2 curricle guns, to open the communication
        with Dublin, which I judged of the utmost importance to government. By means of
        cars for the infantry, I reached this place in 48 hours. I am now, at 7 o'clock
        this morning (Monday) marching to surround the town of Kildare, the head
        quarters of the rebels, with 7 pieces of artillery, 140 dragoons, and 350
        infantry. I have left the whole country behind me perfectly quiet, and well
        protected by means of the troops and yeomanry corps. I hope to be able to
        forward this to you by the mail coach, which will escort to Naas. I am
        sufficiently strong. You may depend upon my prudence and success. My guns were
        well mannered, and the troops in high spirits. The cruelties that have been
        committed on some of the officers and men, have exasperated them to a great
        degree. Of my future operations, I will endeavour to inform you.
        JAMES DUFF.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 23, 2005
          New Jersey Journal
          Aug 14, 1798

          DUBLIN, May 31.
          We are extremely happy to announce that, in several parts of the country,
          numbers of the infatuated peasantry are coming in, surrendering their arms, and
          taking the oath of allegiance. In the neighbourhood of Coolock, we hear, no less
          than 500 have come in in the course of Tuesday, and the day before,
          acknowledging their crimes, and delivering up their arms; and this, we
          understand, has been in a great measure owing to the humane exertions of Hon.
          Capt. Annesley.
          Recruits are joining in numbers every day, to the different yeomanry troops
          of this city, and new bodies also forming, one of which is to be called the
          Orange Corps, and, it is said, will be very numerous. In the country parts,
          likewise, the increase of the different corps of yeomanry is going forward with
          spirit, and the persons chosen are taken from the list of those who have
          voluntarily come forward to take the oath of allegiance, and indeed, very few
          will be excused unless such as are incapable of carrying arms, either by age,
          infirmity or their being employed in some necessary or indispensable avocation.
          June 2. This day Mr. Thomas Bacon, of Ship-street, a respectable master
          taylor, and formerly Major in the Goldsmith's Dublin Volunteers, was arrested in
          Golden-lane, dressed in female attire, and conveyed to the castle.
          Lord Henry Fitzgerald, who arrived here on Thursday, had yesterday a long
          interview with Lord Camden; but by no intreaty could he procure permission to
          free his brother, Lord Edward.
          Another execution took place this day on the Old Bridge.
          A respectable master shoe maker, who keeps a shop in South-King street was
          yesterday arrested, and, having received 200 lashes to extort a confession of
          what he knew not, was this day sent home to his disconsolate family, to be
          cured.
          In the affair of Blackmore-hill, six or seven peasants were shot, in their
          miserable cabins, by the military, after the insurgents had retreated.
          The town of Nass is totally destroyed, except a few remaining houses in the
          centre, occupied by the military.
          June 3. Enniscorthy (about 48 miles south of Dublin, on a fine river called
          Slaney) is in the hands of rebels, who have put every Protestant to death.
          Mr. Moor, of Rathangan, having drawn out his corps against the rebels, his
          lieutenant, who was a Catholic, cried out that "he would not fire on his fellow
          citizens." - "Nor I. Nor I," ran through the corps. On which Mr. Moor called
          out, "What I have no loyal men amongst you to ??????" Six or seven men instantly
          stood forward, who, with Mr. Moor, as instantly lost their lives, and the
          traitors fled to join the rebels.
          In Mr. Burchall's garden, which was dug up in every part, there were found
          long pikes and 12 muskets., which were concealed under some cabbage-plants; and
          in his day book was found the following creed in his own handwriting:- "I hold
          it to be an incontrovertible truism, that no Irish Catholic can be free while a
          Protestant lives."
          The rebels have burnt the bodies of several Protestants in some parts of the
          country. After the battle that was fought near Nass, the road was so encumbered
          with dead bodies, for near six miles, as to be scarcely passable.
          In the different engagements which have happened up to the present date, I
          am concerned to state that the loss of the Yeomanry is full 500 killed, besides
          12 officers; and the loss of the rebels exceeds 5000.
          More than 4000 rebels have encamped themselves on the hills of Tallagh,
          (about seven miles from Dublin) whole numbers have been considerably augmented
          by those who surrendered to Gen Dundas. The seven pretended leaders given up by
          these men, were seven miserable creatures who joined them thro' compulsion, and
          were about to desert them through fear. The event certainly shews there was no
          security for the engagements on the side of these rebels, for they fled
          instantly and joined the rebels at Talagh and Rathangan. And the rear of this
          army, with which Gen. Dundas had treated, marched off with their arms, fell in
          with and attacked Sir James Duff and his men, as he was escorting the mail to
          Naas. But he put to the sword about 300 of them.
          Mr. Grattan's steward was one of the principal leaders of the rebellion in
          the county of Wicklow. He is since taken, and has impeached his master. Dr.
          Edmond, who was stated to be hanged, was reprieved under the gallows, in
          consequence of making some very important discoveries.
          Houses have been found marked for the purpose of being fired, and the owners
          assassinated.
          Seventeen of Capt. Stratford's corps of yeomanry cavalry, all Papists, have
          been shot for being off their duty, and supposed to be intriguing with the
          rebels.
          The progress of the rebellion has been by no means so alarming within the
          last three days as its outset threatened. The county of Clare seems to have been
          cleared by the king's troops; and, except those who have retired into the
          fastnesses of the Wicklow mountains, and those who occupy the north-eastern
          quarter of the county of Wexford, there seems to be no existing force of
          treason, from which any thing can or ought to be apprehended.
          It is said that a messenger set off on Thursday with a warrant for the
          apprehension of Mr. Grattan, upon charges of the most serious nature.
          June 4. On Saturday last, Lieutenant John Clinch, of Capt. Ormsby's company
          of Rathcoole infantry, was executed at the front of the new prison pursuant to
          the sentence of a Court-Martial, who tried him the day before. At the place of
          execution he made an afflicting exhortation to his fellow soldiers,
          acknowledging the justice of his sentence and desiring that his fate might be a
          warning to all the cloth.- A boy, not thirteen years old, was taken on the hill
          of Rathcoole, and being closely interrogated, he gave such information as led to
          the discovery of a most treasonable conspiracy, in which the unfortunate officer
          above-mentioned was deeply implicated. The corps was to have joined the rebels
          the first attack, and murder Capt. Ormsby and his brothers. Others of the
          company are confined, and will be speedily brought to trial.
          This day Thomas Bacon, an eminent taylor and formerly a major of brigade in
          the old volunteers, was hanged, pursuant to the sentence of a Court-Martial on
          Carlisle bridge. From the barracks to the place of execution, he was conveyed in
          a cart through several principal and populous streets, in terrorem to the
          multitude, and such a melancholy and ignominious fate, attending a man of his
          rank in life, would in no other person excite more public interest, or have more
          effect, as he was very generally known. He is said to have confessed that he had
          knowledge of the conspiracy existing against the government, but was uniformly
          against suffering assassination to form a part of the system. He denied any
          knowledge of having been elected a major-general in the rebel army; but admitted
          that the rank had been offered him, and said he had refused it.- He has left a
          wife and several female children behind him, the oldest of whom, a very
          beautiful girl, excited much pity and compassion this day in the castle-yard,
          where she appeared in all the wildness of grief and distraction.
          Prisoners are taking up every day in great numbers. A Roman Catholic priest
          was arrested yesterday, of the name of Kearns; a Counsellor Bennet was also
          arrested.

          Extract of a letter from Lieut. Col. Longfield, of the royal Cork militia,
          to Lieut. Gen. Craig, dated at Rathangan, May. 29
          I arrived near this town at seven o'clock, and perceiving the rebels to have
          taken a position at the upper end of the town, near the church, and that they
          had in some parts barricaded the streets, and drawn chains across others, I
          placed my battalion guns in front, supported by the infantry, stationing the
          cavalry so as to support both, and commenced by firing ???? with the cannon -
          after the second discharge, I perceived the rebels to fly in my direction. I
          then gave orders for the cavalry to charge; which was executed by Capt. Pack and
          the detachment of the 5th dragoon guards, with the greatest spirits and
          judgment. Lord Trawly joined me immediately before the action with a serjeant
          and 12 of the Romney fencibles, and six of the yeomanry cavalry, who assisted
          with equal spirit in the charge.- To Col. Robinson, of the Perthshire regiment,
          Major Miller, Captain O'Callachan, and Capt. Campbell, of the 41st regiment, I
          am indebted for their spirited exertions and assistance. There are between 50
          and 60 of the rebels killed.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 24, 2005
            Norwich Packet
            Aug 14, 1798

            Progress of the Rebellion in Ireland

            London, May 25.
            The village of Lacklow, in Ireland, is burnt by the military. It consisted
            of 27 houses.
            Dublin is declared out of the King's peace.
            May 29. The Irish rebels have been defeated at Saggard and Naas. Several
            hundreds killed.
            May 30. The Dublin mail of the 25th inst. arrived yesterday, by which we
            have received, not only a confirmation of the dreadful accounts given in our
            last paper, but also some important details of several fresh actions which have
            taken place between the military and the rebels in various directions. The
            rebellion is now openly supported in most parts of the counties of Dublin,
            Kildare, and Meath, and even the neighbourhood of the metropolis has been
            assailed by the daring insurgents. In some instances they have made a desperate
            resistance, but in all they have been defeated with great slaughter, while his
            majesty's forces have sustained very little loss. Near Dunboyne the rebels
            ????????????? by a small party of the Reay fencibles, as stated in our paper of
            yesterday, remained undisturbed on the 24th, but on the following day a
            formidable army was sent against them, who happily succeeded in putting the
            whole body to flight.
            General Grenier, says a Paris paper, is shortly to sail from Dunkirk, with
            the troops destined for the invasion of England. The corps which were hitherto
            in cantonments at St. Omer, Bethune, Arras, &c. have marched to the coast.
            May 31. By the Dublin mail of the 26th, which came to hand yesterday, we
            have received accounts of several fresh actions having been fought between
            military and the insurgents, in the whole of which his Majesty's forces have
            completely triumphed. The rebellion has extended its influence into the counties
            of Wicklow and Carlow, so that there are now five counties in an open state of
            insurrection. The official details of two of the engagements, which took place
            at Hacketstown, in the county of Carlow, and at Baltinglass, in the county of
            Wicklow, state that the rebels lost in the former three hundred men, and in the
            latter between one and two hundred. Battles have also been fought at Clare,
            Ballimor, Berresttown, Lucan and Lusk, which terminated in a similar manner. The
            rebels have burnt the town of Kilcullen, and destroyed a great part of the
            respectable city of Carlow, at which place a dreadful conflict took place, the
            result of which was, that four hundred of the misguided wretches were slain,
            over whole mangled carcasses the travellers from Dublin to the southward were
            for a whole day obligated to pass. Such is the frightful picture which the
            intelligence of yesterday presents to our view. But this is not all; Our advices
            from the fourth state, that the county of Kilkenny is in a very perturbed
            situation; that the greatest apprehensions are entertained in the counties of
            Tipperary and Waterford; and that in the county of Cork, an open rebellion is
            hourly expected. The vicinity of the Metropolis continues to be infested with
            numerous bodies of the insurgents, against whom all the troops in the garrison
            have received orders to march, and the protection of the city is now committed
            to the yeomanry, who, form their numbers and activity, appear fully adequate to
            the undertaking. Two members of the Rathfarham volunteers, Messrs. Ledwich and
            Keogh, who headed the rebels in an action fought near that place, were on Sunday
            last, with eighteen others, executed in Dublin, pursuant to the sentences of
            several courts martial; on the same day, Dr. Esmond of the county of Kildare,
            also suffered death, for rebellious behavior. The rebels have possessed
            themselves of some unimportant posts not far distant from the metropolis, and
            destroyed the bridge of Kilcullen, to prevent a communication with the South.
            June 4. The official intelligence which has arrived from Dublin since our
            last publication, in some measure answers our expectations, and gratifies our
            hopes. A numerous body of rebels assembled on the curragh of Kildare (amounting
            to 4000) have laid down their arms, and given up a number of their leaders; that
            the communication between Dublin and Limerick, which had been cut off by the
            insurgents, has been restored; and that Sir James Duff has retaken the town of
            Kildare and killed between two and three hundred of the insurgents who had
            possession of that place, with the loss of three men killed and several wounded.
            The Gazette adds, that "the South is entirely quiet." We are sorry, however, our
            letters from that quarter do not admit us to subscribe to this last assertion.
            The rebels, we are on the contrary assured, are still in great force in the
            county of Wexford, and at a late hour ????? informed that a large detachment of
            the 13th regiment of foot, commanded by lieutenant colonel Colville, which
            marched from Waterford for that county, on the 8th ult, had been cut off by the
            Insurgents, who, to the amount of near 7000 men were in the possession of the
            city of Wexford and its neighbourhood, when the gentleman who states this
            unfortunate circumstance came away.
            June 6. Major gen. Fawcett having marched from Duncannon Fort, with a
            company of the Meath regiment, was surrounded by a very large body of rebels
            between Taghman and Wexford, and defeated; the general effecting his retreat to
            the fort. Official.
            The town of Newtown Barry was attacked June 1, by the rebels; they
            surrounded it in such a manner that Colonel L'Estrange at first retreated to
            collect his force; he then attacked them, drove them from the town with great
            slaughter ,and pursued them several miles, 500 of the rebels were killed; the
            col's. whole force was about 350. Official.
            A party of rebels in endeavouring to enter Carlow were defeated. Official.
            Yesterday's Irish Mails brought was to June 2. The rebels appear to derive
            military instruction from their frequent disasters. In the north of Ireland too,
            which has affected much loyalty, such ferocious indications of revolt have
            appeared, that martial law is declared there. This was done at Belfast on Sunday
            last.
            It is feared that Toulon fleet has eluded the vigilance of Ad. Nelson.
            June 8. Yesterday arrived the Waterford and Donaughadee mails. The rebels,
            to the amount of fifteen thousand men, are encamped on the mountain of Farth,
            situated near the sea, about ten miles from Wexford, so advantageous to dislodge
            them. Their front is protected by a numerous body of horse, and eight pieces of
            artillery and the sea is in their rear. Here they mean to make their grand
            stand; they have their apprehensions and are determined at any rate, to sell
            their lives dearly, and sooner than surrender, to throw themselves into the sea.
            Another account states that the rebels have been driven from Wexford, with
            the loss of 900 men, but that the king's military so experienced great loss, the
            pikes of the insurgents (14 feet in length) preventing the effectual use of the
            bayonet. It is said a company of the North Cork militia and a detachment of
            Meath militia have been cut off by the rebels.
            Capt. Moor, of Rathangan, having drawn out his company to engage the
            revolters, his lieut. cried, he would not fight against his fellow citizens.
            'Nor I,' 'nor I,' run threw the corps - when they massacred their capt. and fled
            to the insurgents.
            Sir Edward Crosbie has been executed as a rebel in Ireland.
            June 9. The Dublin mail of the 4th arrived yesterday. There has been no
            general action, and it is supposed the rebels mean to confine themselves to a
            system of predatory warfare. They frequently issue from their head quarters on
            the Wexford mountain and have some skirmishes, wherein victory has been
            generally on the side of the king's troops. On one instance the rebels
            triumphed. A detachment under col. Walpole, of 5 or 600 men, with artillery
            (marching to join the main army, with was about attacking the rebels in three
            different points) while they were passing a defile, were attacked; a severe
            conflict ensued, which terminated in the defeat of their commander, Walpole.
            Some compute the total loss at 300, others at a 100, on the part of the
            defeated. It is said the rebels took 5 pieces of artillery. We hope the most
            moderate of their accounts is exaggerated.
            Mr. Bacon, a taylor, elected maj-general of the revolters, has been
            arrested, and was hanged on Monday last. Martial law is declared in Limerick;
            and Irish affairs are daily more portentous. All troops, which can be spared
            from other parts, are marching to the insurgent counties of Wexford, Carlow and
            Wicklow; but the disaffected state of the north, necessitates the leaving many
            troops there, therefore 10,000 men are instantly to go from England.
            It is reported, a whole corps of yeomanry (loyal rifles) is disarmed in
            Dublin, having been discovered in league with the rebels.
            The rebels in Wexford, possessing both bays and harbors, it is thought they
            have already received some aid from France. They hold Enniscorthy, a very
            populous town.
            O'Coigley, a clergyman, has been executed in Ireland, for treason.
            Troops, it is said, are sailing from New Castle, Plymouth, Liverpool, &c.
            for Ireland.

            Dublin, May 31.
            M'Conn, an apothecary, is apprehended; and his apprentice deposes that he
            has, within a few days, sold above a thousand ounces of arsenic to various
            persons, who were servants.
            Yesterday, died of his wounds, capt. D.F. Byan, the officer who arrested
            lord Fitzgerald.
            In an attempt on Newtown, Mount Kennedy, the rebels were defeated with the
            loss of 40.
            The rector of Kyle and his whole family, infants and all, have been
            butchered by the rebels. The families of Mr. Bookey, Mr. Barrington and others
            have shared the same fate.
            The insurgent camp at Blackmoor Hill has been taken possession of by
            government, and the rebels driven from it, with the loss of their camp materials
            and 7 of their horde. They were 1000 strong, and were defeated by about 100.
            June 2. Among the rebels near Narragmore, was an Amazonian leader. She fired
            two shot at the col. of the regular troops. She is taken, but the treason act
            cannot well be literally put in force against her.
            It is said a large body of rebels have been defeated at Corce (Wexford
            county) and 140 killed.
            Lieut. Clinch, of the infantry, was executed on Saturday. He confessed his
            crime, viz conspiring to murder his capt. and desert the army with the company
            to the rebels.
            All respectable families that can are embarking for England, with all speed.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 25, 2005
              Gazette of the United States
              August 17, 1798

              The following letter from the north of Ireland, dated 31st May, was politely
              handed to us by a merchant of the first respectability. Its contents are
              interesting and authentic. -

              My dear Sir,
              I wrote you 10th current by captain Macey and by the Mohawk, captain Moore,
              since which the united Irish, without waiting for their good friends the French,
              have broken out into open rebellion. The plan was fixed for setting on fire the
              city of Dublin in different parts at the same instant on the night of the 19th
              current. Persons were to be placed at the houses of loyalists to murder them as
              soon as they (on the alarm of fire) should open their doors; most of the
              servants of the city were sworn to assist in this dreadful massacre, and to
              bring out all the bulky furniture and to lay it across the streets to impede the
              march of horse and foot, who might attempt to give aid to the sufferers. A
              bloody night it would have been, had not government received information of the
              conspiracy some short time previous to the fatal period, and taken every
              precaution to prevent its being carried to execution. Lord Edward Fitzgerald
              (brother to the Duke of Leinster, who was to have headed the rebel army, and for
              whose capture 1000l. reward was offered) having been taken that very evening
              after a desperate resistance, disconcerted their schemes for the attack of the
              city, but as the insurrection was to have been general, large bodies of these
              deluded people well armed collected on the 22d current, and attacked Nags,
              Dunshoughlin, Dunboyne, Monsterevan, Clandalkin, Kilcullen and appeared in force
              at Rathfarnam, Wicklow mountains, Curragh of Kildare, Stratford on Shaney, and
              other places; to prevent intelligence they stopped all the mail coaches leaving
              Dublin on the night of the 22d, burnt them and the mails containing the letters;
              and as most of the army is stationed in the south, and south west parts of the
              kingdom, where we expected the French would land, there were but few forces in
              Dublin or its vicinity; however these few in small parties, attacked the
              different bodies of the rebels and in every engagement the latter were defeated
              and it is computed that above 3000 of them were killed, many wounded and many
              prisoners taken, but not without some loss on the part of the king's troops by
              reason of the smallness of their numbers, in respect to those of the rebels, who
              in most of the actions were ten, twelve and more to one. They have committed
              many horrid murders, cutting the throats of men, women and children and burning
              whole families in their houses, following the barbarous example of their
              brethren in iniquity, the French. They say that the Roman Catholics will never
              be emancipated until the Protestants are totally destroyed. We have reason to be
              thankful that none of these insurrections were nearer to us than between 30 to
              40 miles. Hereabout and to the northward of this they are at present pretty
              quiet but it is hard to say how long they many continue so; the whole kingdom is
              now under military law.
              Yesterday's papers inform that 4000 of the rebels in the county of Kildare
              had surrendered on promise of pardon, they giving up their arms and their
              officers. I have therefore great hopes that this rebellion will soon be crushed
              without more blood being shed, and die away until the French invade us, when
              there is not doubt but numbers will join them. As there are no vessels here for
              America, and knowing how anxious you would be fore the safety of your friends in
              this part of the world, on hearing flying and vague reports of the rebellion by
              ships from England, the half of which would in all probability be either false
              or much exaggerated, I thought you would be highly gratified in hearing from me
              what you can depend on for truth. By the next opportunity I shall write you the
              catastrophe of this shocking business.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 28, 2005
                Commercial Advertiser
                Aug 28, 1798

                IRELAND
                THE REBELLION
                (From the London Gazette of Last Night)
                Whitehall, June 12.
                Dispatches of which the following are copies, have been this day received
                from his Excellency the Lord Lieut. of Ireland, by his Grace the Duke of
                Portland, His Majesty's principal Sec'ry of State for the home department.

                Dublin-Castle, June 9.
                MY LORD,
                It is with the utmost concern I acquaint your Grace, an insurrection has broken
                out in the county of Antrim; and in order to give your Grace the fullest
                information in my power, I enclose to you an extract of a letter received this
                morning by Lord Castlereach, from Maj. Gen. Nugent. I am in great hope, from the
                numbers and spirit of the loyal in that part of the country, the insurgents may
                be quickly checked. I have the honor to be, &c, &c.
                CAMDEN
                His Grace the Duke of Portland.
                Belfast, June 8.
                MY LORD,
                I have the honor to report to your lordship, that in consequence of
                information which I received early yesterday morning, of an intended
                insurrection in the county of Antrim, having for its first object the seizure of
                the magistrates, who were to assemble that day in the town of Antrim, I
                apprehended several persons in Belfast. I did not receive the intelligence early
                enough to prevent the insurgents from taking possession of Antrim and I am not
                therefore acquainted with their first proceedings there; but I prevented many
                magistrates from leaving Belfast; and many others, being officers of yeomanry on
                permanent duty, did not attend the meeting. I ordered the 64th regiment and
                light battalion, and 100 of the 22d light dragoons, under col. Clavering and
                lieut. col. Lumley, with two 5 1/2 inch howitzers, and two curricle 6 pounders,
                to proceed with the utmost dispatch thro Lisburn to Antrim. I also ordered from
                the garrison 250 of the Monaghan militia, with lieut. col. Ker, and 50 of the
                22d dragoons, together with the Belfast yeomanry cavalry, with maj. Smith, to
                proceed under the command of col. Durham, with two curricle 6 pounders thro
                Carmoney and Templepatrick to Antrim, to co-operate with the other detachment.
                The dragoons under lieut. col. Lumley having made the attack upon the town
                without waiting for the light battalion, were fired upon from the windows of the
                houses and were consequently obliged to retreat with the loss of, I am sorry to
                add, three officers of that excellent regiment killed and wounded, and the two
                curricle 6 pounders. Co. Clavering, on his arrival near Antrim, finding the
                rebels pouring into that town in great force, very judiciously took post on a
                hill on the Lisburn side and reported his situation to M. Gen. Goldie. In the
                mean time col. Durham, with his whole detachment, proceeded to within half a
                mile of Antrim, and after a cannonade of half an hour, drove the insurgents
                completely out of the town and retook the two curricle guns, together with 1
                brass 6 pounder, very badly mounted, of which, it seems, the rebels and two
                supposed to have been smuggled out of Belfast. The col. then proceeded without
                the loss of a man, thro the town, (when, for obvious reasons, suffered much) to
                Shane's Castle and Randelstown, in which direction the principal part of the
                rebels fled. He remains there still for orders from me. Lord O'Neil, I am sorry
                to say, is dangerously wounded.
                Lieut.-Col. Leslie, of the Tay Fencibles, reports to me from Carrickfergus,
                that Lieutenant Small, with a detachment of twenty men of that corps, in the
                barrack at Larne, defended themselves most gallantly against the attack of a
                numerous body and maintained their post, with the loss of two killed and three
                wounded, including the Lieutenant. I have ordered them into head-quarters at
                Carrickfergus. The Glenarm Yeomanry (sixty strong) being also threatened by an
                attack, in the course of the day took possession of Glenarm Castle, where they
                will maintain themselves if possible. Brigadier General Knox, having heard of a
                party of the Toome Yeomanry being made prisoners by the Insurgents, sent to me
                very early this morning, to offer to march, by Toome Bridge, into the county of
                Antrim, which I have desired him to do, in order to liberate Colonel Dunham's
                detachment, and enable them to cross the country on their return to Belfast.
                Although the Insurrection has been pretty general in the county, I do not
                find they have had much success; but I have not received as yet any reports from
                Ballycastle, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Portglenore, and other places in the
                Northern parts, in which Yeomanry are stationed.- As my information led to a
                general rising in the county of Down, I have been obliged to call in all the
                small detachments of the York Fencibles to Newtown Ardes. Colonel Stapleton has
                everything in readiness to move at a moment's warning. The Yeomanry are all on
                permanent duty throughout the counties of Down and Antrim; and have distributed
                arms to 140 loyal men in Belfast, who will be attached to the Monaghan and
                Fifeshire regiiments and thereby become very useful. Offers of service are very
                numerous.
                I cannot close this letter without expressing to your Lordship my entire
                approbation of the conduct of the Troops of all descriptions in this part of the
                Northern District; their zeal and attention to their duties cannot be surpassed;
                and I trust that, when occasion offers, they will act in that concert which is
                so much to be wished for in military service. Lieutenant Colonel Lumley, I am
                afraid, is badly wounded in the leg; Cornet Dunn is killed; and Lieutenant
                Murphy slightly wounded; all of the 22d Dragoons, I understand, but not
                officially, that some Yeomanry from Lord Hereford's estate (I believe the
                Derriaghy) were with the Dragoons when they made the unsuccessful attack on
                Antrim; and they retired to Anstrun Castle where they were relieved by Colonel
                Durham. Colonel Durham deserves my warmest praise for his judicious and spirited
                conduct. He speaks in high terms of the detachment under him, and particularly
                the Monaghan Militia.- The Rev. Steele Dickson was taken up the night before
                last, and sent prisoner here, where he will be confined in a place of safety, as
                well as many others, whom it is now necessary to apprehend. Your Lordship may
                depend upon my individual exertions in this unpleasant contest; and as I am ably
                supported, I make no doubt, that we shall prevent the Rebels from gaining any
                advantages, and ultimately oblige them to return to their allegiance. I shall
                write again to-morrow, should any material event occur. I have the honor to be,
                &c.
                C. NUGENT, Major-General.
                Lord Viscount Castlereagh, &c.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 31, 2005
                  Salem Gazette
                  September 4, 1798

                  Belfast, June 15.
                  To the honour of the province of Ulster, only two counties, out of its nine,
                  were led astray in the late disturbances.
                  The rebellion in this part of the country may now be considered as
                  completely suppressed.
                  June 18.
                  The Insurgents in the county of Wexford now consist, it is said, of 60,000,
                  and are reported to be casting cannon at the founderies in Wexford and
                  Enniscorthy.
                  All communications between Denaghadee and Port Patrick is stopped for the
                  present. The packet with the last mail sailed from Carrickfergus.

                  Commercial Advertiser
                  September 4, 1798

                  PRIVATE LETTERS.
                  Dublin, June 23
                  I have just got sight of a letter received by a friend of mine, a few days
                  since, from Ross; the part which I extract relates to the first engagement which
                  took place there as follows:-
                  "After the engagement, the army gave the Rebels no quarter; upwards of two
                  hundred were killed in the main street of this town.
                  "You may be very thankful you left this place, as the scenes of horror it
                  has presented for some days back, make humanity shudder. Business is totally
                  destroyed; the shops are all shut up, and nothing but dreadful warfare is to be
                  seen or heard. The evening after the action, all the shops in town were
                  plundered, and every person met in colored clothes was shot. A number of the
                  town's people unfortunately fell in consequence; no discrimination was made, and
                  innocent and guilty were equally involved; the colored coat was a sufficient
                  mark of guilt with the executioner. Two hundred and thirty houses have already
                  been burnt ????? some, indeed, were cabins."

                  Connecticut Courant
                  September 5, 1798

                  REBELLION IN IRELAND
                  London, June 26.
                  The following official Bulleting has been published at Dublin the 22d.
                  Extract of a letter from Gen. Larke to Lord Vicount, Castlereagh, dated
                  Enniscorthy, June 21. '98.
                  "Dublin Castle, June 22, 1798.
                  "My Lord,
                  "I have the honor to acquaint your Lordship for his Excellency the Lord
                  Lieutenant's information, that the Rebel camp upon Vinegar-hill was attacked
                  this morning at 7 o'clock, and carried in about an hour and a half.
                  "The relative importance of this very strong proposition with our operations
                  against Wexford made it necessary to combine our attacks as to insure success. A
                  column, under Major-Generals Johnson and Eustace, was drawn from Ross, and began
                  the attack upon the town of Enniscorthy, situate upon the right bank of the
                  Salney, close under Vinegar-hill, upon the right and rather in the rear of it.
                  "Lieutenant-General Dundas commanded the center column, supported by a
                  column on the right, under Major-Generals Sir James Duff and Loetus; a fourth
                  column, upon the left, was commanded by the Hon. Major-General Needham. To the
                  determined spirit with which these columns were conducted, and the great
                  gallantry of the troops, we are indebted for the short resistance of the rebels,
                  who maintained their ground obstinately for the time above mentioned; but on
                  perceiving the danger of being surrounded, they fled with great precipitation.
                  Their loss is not yet ascertained, but it must be very considerable. The loss on
                  our part is not great, the particulars of which I shall report as soon as
                  possible. In the meantime I am sorry to say that Lieutenant Sandys of the
                  Longford Regiment is killed; and that Col. King, of the Sligo, was wounded, in
                  gallantly leading his regiment. Lord Blaney and Col. Versey, of the County
                  Dublin Regiment, are also wounded, but I am happy to add, that the wounds of
                  these three officers are very slight."
                  [Here follows the General's obligations to various officers and the men for
                  their courage and promptitude, and the return of 18 brass field-pieces and
                  howitzers taken from the rebels, with stores, &c.]
                  [Gen. Algill has defeated a party, killed 100. Col. O'Reeley has killed 150
                  near Bandon. The papers are full of accounts of skirmishes, &c. in which the
                  loyal troops are invariably successful.]
                  September 5, 1798

                  August 31.
                  FROM ENGLAND - THE LATEST.
                  We were last evening put in possession of London papers to June 26, brought
                  by Capt. Choate from Liverpool; the following is a hasty summary of the most
                  important of their contents.
                  The Rebellion in Ireland still rages with violence. Many actions have
                  occurred, in which the loyal troops were generally successful. Most of these
                  were of no consequence, but none have been decisive as to the Insurrection.
                  Numbers of the Revolters are daily surrendering. A French frigate has landed
                  Military Stores; and others, it was said, were ordered, at all events, to
                  proceed from Brest to Ireland. Marquis Cornwallis is appointed Lord Lieut. of
                  Ireland and has arrived there. We see no charge against Camden. An American, the
                  mate of the brig Sukey, got into the midst of a mob, where a person was whipping
                  for treasonable practices, and there uttered many intemperate words---was
                  arrested and sentenced to receive 500 lashes; but afterwards, in consideration
                  of his country was pardoned. Proclamations by certain Loyal Generals interdict
                  the further commission of many excesses which have occurred from the King's
                  troops; but Cornwallis, is said to have orders to behave with increased military
                  energy. Several English Militia Regiments have tendered their services to go
                  over to Ireland, and have been accepted. Addresses in favor of mild measures in
                  Ireland have been rejected in the British Parliament. The Debates are all
                  secret. A Peer is not suffered to be present in the Tribune of the Commons.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 5, 2005
                    Columbian Centinel
                    September 8, 1798

                    The Rebellion in Ireland.
                    Dublin, July 10.
                    As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
                    of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighboring borders of Kildare and Wexford; nor
                    does this exception surprize us, when we recollect that in all rebellions with
                    which this unhappy island have been afflicted Wicklow was always the county last
                    conquered.

                    Commercial Advertiser
                    Sept. 8, 1798

                    London, July 6.
                    A subscription was opened at Baston's Coffee House for the relief of the
                    Individuals, or of the wives and children of such as have suffered, or may
                    hereafter suffer in suppressing the unfortunate Rebellion in Ireland when the
                    sum of 15,000l, sterling was subscribed in a few days.
                    This is one among the numerous displays of that spirit of liberality which,
                    to say the least, is a prominent feature in the character of the English nation.
                    Of all public emergencies, and on all occasions of misfortune, either general or
                    local, they are probably much more liberal than any other modern European
                    nation.

                    Connecticut Courant
                    September 10, 1798

                    The Rebellion in Ireland is considered to be so completely crushed, that Marquis
                    Cornwallis has written home that there is no occasion for any reinforcements to
                    be sent to Ireland. In consequence all the Militia regiments either embarked, or
                    under orders, are countermanded and will remain in England.

                    Albany Centinel
                    September 14, 1798

                    IRELAND.
                    Dublin, July 7.
                    The official accounts published yesterday evening contained the pleasing
                    information of a signal rout given to the rebels in the county of Wicklow. All
                    our private letters from that quarter agree in every respect with the public
                    account, but mention the number of slain on the part of the rebels, in different
                    ways, some stating them at seven hundred, while others say they amount to nearly
                    two thousand. - Some idea of the number of the rebels engaged in this affair may
                    be obtained by knowing that their army covered four miles and a half of a very
                    wide road, besides multitudes covering the fields on each side; the loss of such
                    an army in a tumultuary flight must be incalculable.
                    From Kildare accounts are received, which state, that though a great number
                    of the Rebels have availed themselves of the late proclamation, yet the
                    collective force acting against government is very considerable. I have seen a
                    letter from an officer of the Suffolk fencibles, quartered near Kilcullen
                    bridge, which states that the Rebels are encamped near 16,000 strong, within a
                    few miles of them; but they have received orders not to attempt to attack them
                    till a reinforcement arrives.

                    July 10.
                    As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
                    of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighbouring borders of Kildare and Wexford;
                    nor does this exception surprize us when we recollect that in all rebellions
                    with which this unhappy island has been afflicted, Wicklow was always the county
                    last conquered.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 7, 2005
                      Columbian Centinel
                      September 29, 1798

                      Of the Rebellion in Ireland,
                      IRELAND, Dublin, Aug 2
                      The rebel banditti, which, but a few weeks since, were composed of a body at
                      Vinegar-Hill, of nineteen thousand strong; at Linkinstown-Hill, of fifteen
                      thousand; at the town of Wexford and its vicinities, near the sea side, of eight
                      thousand; and at Enniscorthy, Carnew, and other parts of the county of Wexford,
                      of about ten thousand more, independent of the numerous hordes in the counties
                      of Kildaire, Wicklow, Carlow, Meath, the Queen's County, &c. are now reduced to
                      parties plundering marauders, from thirty to sixty in number, some of which have
                      been already cut to pieces, and others separating and accepting the terms of
                      pardon, already graciously proffered - so much for rebellion in its former and
                      present state, and thus are its purposes entirely blasted.

                      Albany Centinel
                      Oct 5, 1798

                      IRELAND
                      Dublin, August 20.
                      Since our last no accounts have reached town of consequence. The wretched
                      rebels continue to be surprised in small parties, particularly in the County of
                      Meath.

                      July 21.
                      The freedom of the city was unanimously voted to his Excellency the Marquis
                      Cornwallis, with a congratulatory address upon his arrival in this Kingdom.
                      The assembly upon a petition of certain of the Commons, unanimously
                      disfranchised Hamilton Rowan, John Chambers and Napper Tandy, to be considered
                      hereafter as aliens, the two former being accused of high treason, and bills for
                      felony having been found against the latter, and all having absconded.

                      July 24.
                      The rebel prisoners who have surrendered and are now confined at the Royal
                      Exchange, exhibit a just picture of the infernal cause in which they had
                      embarked, in the most immoral and profligate behaviour, by continued blasphemy,
                      and horrid oaths, cursing and abusing the yeomanry, and his Majesty's forces.
                      They appear to be most depraved ruffians, equal to the commitment of any act of
                      desperation.
                      The great guns which had so long menaced the populace of Dublin from the
                      Castle gates, were removed yesterday, and the Orange is getting fast out of
                      season, it is now picked, and I trust will soon be wholly rotten, all which
                      circumstances are no small indications of returning confidence and established
                      tranquility.

                      August 4.
                      So general is the restoration of tranquility that the Generals of the
                      several districts have written to the commanders of the yeomanry corps,
                      announcing the state of the country to be such that there no longer existed
                      occasion for their continuing on permanent duty. Sir James Duff, on signifying
                      this agreeable intelligence to the volunteers of Limerick, and Nenall, passed
                      high and deserved encomiums on their conduct, and expressed his hope, that they
                      will occasionally assemble, as before the rebellion, for the preservation of
                      that discipline which has rendered them so respectable.
                      It was yesterday currently reported that in consequence of information, a
                      rebel deposit of one hundred thousand guineas had been discovered.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 14, 2005
                        Federal Galaxy
                        Oct 13, 1798
                        IRELAND.
                        Dublin, Aug. 4
                        The present state of the country bears the fairest prospect of
                        tranquility, and rebellion seems to shield its head in final oblivion. The
                        armed rebels who appeared in such force and numbers are no longer to be
                        found; vanquished in every battle, in which they had the hardihood to make
                        stand, and their leaders defeated in their abominable views, of universal
                        plunder and massacre; their accursed and baneful influence is in neither the
                        East or West province of this country, and the only trace that can be found
                        of that wretched and unprovoked rebellion, which so lately rent and agitated
                        this country, is that of armed banditties of robbers, who derive a
                        subsistence from plunder, and are composed of blood thirsty miscreants, whom
                        we hope our gallant yeomanry, as best acquainted with the interior of the
                        country, will bring to justice.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 18, 2005
                          Federal Gazette
                          October 19, 1798
                          DUBLIN, August 29.
                          THE INVASION.
                          Extract of a letter from Ballinrebe, Aug. 25.
                          "Friday morning, at two o'clock, we were alarmed by an express for the
                          Carabineers, the French being about to land at Killala, about 42 miles from
                          hence. Sir Thomas Chapman immediately set off, and found they had really
                          effected a landing, and had taken prisoners the bishop of Killala, his two
                          sons, Dean Thompson and his wife, Mr. Thomas Ellison, &c and had thrown up
                          some istrenchments. Sir Thomas, on reconnoitering their works, was
                          attacked, but after a smart skirmish, had only a few men, about 8, slightly
                          wounded, and a serjeant missing. Our troops killed one of their officers,
                          and retreated to Castlebar, where they are now waiting for a supply of
                          troops, who are hourly passing through this quarter, and it is thought will
                          proceed to-morrow to attack them.
                          "On Sir Thomas Chapman's retreat, the enemy advanced as far as Ballina
                          (7 miles nearer us) but did not keep it long, having conceived it prudent to
                          return to their first position. They picked up several prisoners, among them
                          Sir William Boyd.
                          "The alarm occasioned by the appearance of the enemy has crowded this
                          town, a number of families having deserted their habitations not only from
                          the neighborhood of Killala, but from parts within two miles of us. Thank
                          God, there is a considerable body of troops and ordnance in motion, and the
                          common people seem steady and well affected; a few days will terminate the
                          business."
                          The above letter mentions but 3 French frigates having appeared at
                          Killala.
                          Friday last the following notice was distributed through Athlone and its
                          neighborhood:
                          "Brigadier general Barnet has the satisfaction of informing the
                          inhabitants of Athlone and its neighborhood, that the French force landed at
                          Killala is very inconsiderable and that the force already marched against
                          them is sufficient to prevent their moving forward; and the general hopes,
                          in a very short time, to be able to announce their total defeat."
                          A variety of reports were yesterday circulated; among the most credited
                          were accounts that C. O'Hara, M.P. for Sligo, had, in attempting at the head
                          of his yeomanry corps to check the course of the French, fallen a prisoner
                          into their hands.
                          By the latest accounts we learn, that the French column had advanced on
                          its way to Sligo as far as the town of Ballina; but finding no aid or
                          countenance from the country people, had retired to Killala in the hope of
                          re-imbarking; but, it was added, that the frigates which brought them had
                          disappeared from the coast.
                          The landing of the enemy at Killala seems to be a matter artfully
                          designed, so as to have received assistance from the inhabitants of a part
                          of province of Ulster as well as Connaught before they proceeded further
                          into the country; but we are happy to find that loyalty is at present the
                          prevalent principle among the people, and that they have not been joined by
                          any of the inhabitants, and of course, the French forces must either
                          endeavor to escape to their vessels or else soon feel the fatal effects of
                          opposition to the troops of the country.
                          The spirit which the northern loyalists have ever displayed, has been
                          gloriously manifested by the Enniskilliners - four hundred of them, under
                          the command of cols Cole, marched on Friday evening toward Killala, leaving
                          700 behind them to protect the important pass of Enniskillen.
                          Since the above we hear, and hope, the intelligence well founded, that
                          the French have capitulated - and a still more pleasant circumstance, that
                          they were joined but by three of the natives;- these, together with an
                          outpost of the enemy, to whom they appeared to have acted as guides, are
                          said to have been taken by a party of the yeomanry. The French were defended
                          by 16 pieces of artillery.
                          The marquis Cornwallis's headquarters continue to be at Athlone.
                          A letter from Killala of the 26th states, that an heavy cannonade was
                          heard off the coast; and the probability is, that one of our squadrons has
                          fallen in with some of the enemy's ships.
                          From the different counties of Ulster, we receive the best-founded
                          assurances of tranquility.
                          A letter from Castlebar, under date of the 26th instant, mentions an
                          action having taken place between the enemy and the king's troops and
                          yeomanry, in which the latter sustained some trifling disadvantage; but
                          reinforcements being in movement from various directions, it was hourly
                          expected that the enemy must surrender, or be entirely cut off.
                          It is with much concern that we present to the public the official
                          account published yesterday, of a check received by the king's forces under
                          general Luke.
                          The circumstances, as far as we have been able to learn, are as follows:
                          General Luke, who left Dublin on Saturday last at 2 o'clock P.M. arrived
                          on the next evening at the village near Castlebar, where he had directed the
                          forces of the district to assemble with all possible speed; some of these
                          troops had many miles to march within a few hours, and in consequence at a
                          very early hour the next morning, but a small part of the intended army
                          having assembled (not quite one thousand men) the general was attacked on
                          the very point of rendezvousing by the enemy, who had marched in the course
                          of the evening and night before, in all force from Killala.
                          The king's troops, consisting of detachments from the Frazer fencibles,
                          Kilkenny and Limerick city militia, and royal Irish artillery, with six
                          field pieces, sustained the attack of the French with great gallantry, and
                          had there been any time for preparation or arrangement would have defeated
                          them; but the fencibles, having given way, and the six field pieces having
                          fallen into the hands of the enemy, the general found it necessary to
                          retreat with the loss of about twenty of his men.
                          His first retreat was to Hollymount, about seven miles southward of
                          Castlebar, from whence we understand he has since retreated still further
                          southward, through Tuam, in the county of Galway, to which latter place the
                          French troops are said to have advanced.
                          We have not learned whether general Lake has shaped his course to Galway
                          or Athlone.
                          Menatime every exertion of vigilance and precaution is adopted to
                          preserve the security of the rest of the country. The county of Wexford, so
                          lately the scene of warfare, is so far restored to peace as to justify the
                          marching of the 2d and 29th regiments toward the province of Connaught -
                          troops are moving from every quarter to the kingdom in the same direction -
                          the yeomanry have resumed their habits of vigilance throughout the country -
                          and in the city of Dublin the regulations which produced such salutary
                          effects during the late rebellion, have been revived.
                          General Craig, commander of the garrison, issued last night his orders
                          to have strictly enforced the directions forbidding any person whatever from
                          appearing in the streets at a later hour than 9 o'clock - and lord
                          Castlereagh by letter signed to the lord mayor the propriety of causing the
                          inhabitants of this city to continue pasted on their doors the names of the
                          persons residing in their houses. The different yoemanry guards were
                          strengthened and multiplied.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 22, 2005
                            The Herald of Liberty
                            November 5, 1798
                            The following MANIFESTO was transmitted to us from the County of Mayo and
                            said to be published there by the French General.
                            "Health and fraternity to the people of Ireland.
                            "The Great nation has sent me to you with a band of heroes, to deliver
                            you from the hands of tyrants, fly to our standards, and share with us the
                            glory of subduing the world. We will teach you the arts of war and to
                            despise the low pursuits of toil and industry - You shall live on the spoils
                            of war and the labor of others. The acquisition of misery, and the enjoyment
                            of ease is glorious; We have made all the nations we have conquered happy by
                            arresting their property; by applying it to the common cause and
                            consecrating it to the champions of liberty! Property is a common right,
                            belonging to the valor that seizes it.
                            We have already destroyed the unaspiring tranquility of Switzerland! and
                            the wealth and power, and the bigotry of Italy are no more! if then the
                            justice of France has thus extended its reforming vengeance to unoffending
                            nations, consider how much more rigor it will visit you if you shall slight
                            its benignity, fly to our standards and we will free you from spiritual as
                            well as temporal subjection.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 30, 2005
                              Connecticut Courant
                              November 19, 1798

                              REBELLION IN IRELAND
                              IRELAND, DUBLIN, Sept. 25.
                              From Ballyshannon, Sept. 18:
                              "The French were on this coast a few days since. A vessel mounting 169 guns,
                              and 200 men, a large park of artillery and a great quantity of small arms
                              and ammunition on board, arrived at Rutland, on Sunday last; they landed the
                              men but finding that the country people would not join them, they
                              re-embarked after pillaging the post-office, and other houses in that town,
                              they sailed thence to the eastward, on the same evening.
                              "It is confidently said, that James Napper Tandy was the conductor of
                              the above expedition; and from the course she steered from her departure
                              from Rutland, we have every reason to hope that she cannot escape the
                              vigilance of our cruizers on the Cork station."
                              A mail arrived this day from Dublin, but happy for Ireland - happy for
                              England!- order and quiet are now so generally restored that hardly any
                              other fact is left us to communicate in the way of intelligence.

                              The Gazette of the United States
                              November 20, 1798

                              BALLINA, September 24.
                              We have been here for some time in the greatest dread of being destroyed
                              by the rebels; but now, thank God, we are extricated from those fears - A
                              sore defeat has been given to the deluded wretches by his majesty's army, in
                              which above 1000 of them were killed between this place and Foxford. In this
                              vicinity they had committed great depredation. On entering houses they first
                              drank any wine they could get, then destroyed the furniture, and even the
                              gardens, and afterward carried off all plunder that was portable to Killala.
                              They were going to hang CALONEL, whose house they plundered. Some of the
                              French who lately landed at Killala were found among them, and are now
                              prisoners.