History Scrapbooks - 1798 Rebellion

    Message 1 of 15 , Jul 15, 2005
      Massachusetts Spy (Worcester Gazette)
      Aug 8, 1798

      REBELLION IN IRELAND
      [By Messrs Berksdal and Monkhouse, from London, we have received a small
      file of the Morning Herald, to June 9. They contain not an article of news from
      the continent but, we are sorry to observe, are almost exclusively filled with
      accounts from Ireland, of a dangerous and destructive rebellion having broke
      out, with increased and aggravated cruelty. At Wicklow, Carlow and Wexford,
      great destruction has been committed, particularly in the later county, of which
      the following are some particulars.] Boston Com. Gazette.

      From the LONDON MORNING CHRONICLE, of June 9th.
      The Dublin Mail of the 4th inst. arrived yesterday, by which we have
      received newspapers and letters of that date. No bulletin relative to the
      operations of the army had been published by Government for two preceding days,
      and from the general complexion of our private advices, we are apprehensive that
      they were in possession of no intelligence of which would afford any
      satisfaction to the friends of order and tranquility. There has been no general
      action, and it is now supposed that the Rebels, conscious of their inability to
      cope successfully with the King's troops in fair and open combat, mean to
      confine themselves, for the present, to a ??? of partial and predatory warfare,
      by which only they can expect to hold out for any length of time, or to supply
      their grand body with the immense quantities of provisions which they must
      necessarily consume. In pursuance of this plan, they frequently issue forth from
      their head quarters, on the Wexford Mountain, and some smart skirmishing has
      lately been the consequence of those movements. For the most part, victory has
      been favorable to his Majesty's forces; but in one affair, we lament to state,
      the Insurgents have unfortunately triumphed, and the defeat of the Royal army
      has been of the most disastrous nature. A detachment of the military, under the
      command of the Colonel Lambert Walpole, nephew to Lord Walpole, and Deputy
      Adjutant General in Ireland, consisting, according to some accounts, of between
      five and six hundred, but according to others, of only three hundred, with
      several pieces of artillery, being on their march from the neighborhood to Ross
      to cooperate with the main army under Generals Eustace, Fawcett, and Johnstone,
      who had formed a plan of attacking the Rebels in their fastness in three
      different points, were surprised by the numerous body of the Rebels, who, while
      they were passing a defile, rushed suddenly upon them, and commenced a vigorous
      attack. The military resisted with the utmost valour, and an obstinate and
      bloody conflict ensued, which, painful to relate, terminated in the defeat of
      his Majesty's troops, and the death of their gallant commander, colonel Walpole,
      a very deserving and highly esteemed officer, who is stated to have been
      literally blown to pieces by a cannon shot. The loss of the Insurgents on this
      occasion, which must have been immense, is not mentioned, nor has any correct
      account of that Military been yet received. The statements which have come to
      hand are various and contradictory; some computing it at only one hundred men
      killed, while others make it amount to three hundred.
      The articles of intelligence contained in the Dublin papers speak of new
      plots, of conspiracies and arrests; And report that some advantages have been
      obtained over the Wexford Rebels, the grand body of whom are supposed to be
      completely surrounded by his Majesty's forces. Mr. Baron, an eminent tailor, to
      whom the rank of Major General in the rebel army had been offered, was hanged on
      Carlisle bridge on Monday last, pursuant to the sentence of Court Martial.
      Military Law has been proclaimed in the city of Limerick, and on the whole, the
      situation of Irish affairs appears to become more dreadful and lamentable every
      day. We still, however, remain in hopes that the vigorous measures pursuing by
      government to quell the daring and infamous rebellion will, erelong, prove
      completely successful. As many troops as can be spared from other parts of the
      country are on their march toward the insurgent counties of Wexford, Carlow and
      Wicklow; but as the disaffected state of the North, as well as the South renders
      it unsafe to draw the military in any great number from those quarters, ten
      thousand men, including several regiments of cavalry, are immediately to be sent
      from England, for the purpose of aiding those who are at present on their march
      to attack the Rebels. No time is to be lost in sending this reinforcement. The
      insurgents we doubt not, may be speedily subdued, and the country restored to
      tranquility by a timely exertion of our military strength; but, if the blow is
      deferred until the appearance of foreign aid to the Rebels, there is too much
      reason to fear that the whole kingdom will exhibit one dreadful scene of
      rebellion and carnage.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jul 16, 2005
        Columbian Sentinel
        Aug 8, 1798

        REVOLUTION IN IRELAND.
        London, May 22 to June 9.
        May 22. The affairs of Ireland have at length arrived at the most
        alarming and melancholy pitch. After the capture of Lord Fitzgerald and the
        consequent developments of the plans of the United Irishmen, and other
        insurgents; - (on of which was to possess themselves of the city of Dublin and
        the castle) government was necessitated to declare the metropolis and other
        places in a state of rebellion. Hostilities immediately commenced. The rebel
        village of Lacklan (17 houses) was destroyed. Several bloody fracas took place
        even in the centre of Dublin. The Parliament addressed the Lord Lieutenant in
        terms of the most unshaken loyalty.
        May 29. Several hundred rebels were killed at Sagara and Naas. In the
        counties of Dublin, Kildare, and Meath, the rebellion was openly supported; and
        several severe actions have taken place, in which, although the rebels have
        fought well, they were defeated with immense laughter. At Dunboyne a party has
        been dispersed. In most instances His Majesty's loyal troops have conquered.
        May 30. Five counties are not in a state of rebellion viz. Dublin,
        Kildaire, Meath, Wicklow, and Carlow. In the two latter the rebels have lost at
        Hacketstown and Baltinglass, 500 men; besides many more at Clare, Ballinor,
        Barretstown, Lucan and Lusk. Kilcullen and a part of Carlow have been destroyed
        by the rebels; - at the latter place 400 of them "bit the dust;" whole carcasses
        were left "to taint the wind." Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford and Cork are
        perturbed; and the vicinity of the metropolis is threatened. LEDWICH, KEOGH, Dr.
        ESMOND, leaders and 18 other rebels have been executed at Dublin. The rebels
        have destroyed the bridge at Kilcullen and taken possession of a few unimportant
        ports.
        JUNE 1. The rebels have been defeated at Taragh-Hill, 10 miles from
        Dublin, by the Fencibles and Yeomanry - 35 rebels killed, no quarters allowed.
        The loyal troops had about 30 killed and wounded. Four thousand rebels at
        Kildaire have laid down their arms and given up their leaders, who will be hung.
        JUNE 4. Sir JAMES DUFF has retaken Kildaire, killed 240 rebels besides
        wounded. The rebels are in force in Wexford, and have cut off a detachment of
        the 13th regiment commanded by Lt. Colonel COLVELLE. It is said 7000 insurgents
        possess Wexford. Col. LONGFIELD has driven the rebels from Rathingan, in
        Westford county, killing 50 odd of them.
        JUNE 5. Gen. FAWCETT with a detachment of the Meath regiment has been
        surrounded near Duncanon Fort and defeated; but effected his retreat to the
        fort. Newtownbarry, has been taken by the rebels, but has been retaken by
        assault, by Col. L'ESTRANGE, 500 of the rebels were killed. A party of them has
        been defeated at Caslon.- The insurgent camp at Blackmare hill, is broken up,
        1000 rebels have been defeated by a 100 regulars. At Goree 140 of the rebels
        have been killed. At Ballycanew 200 have been slain; and at Rochflung, a party
        of them who were plundering were defeated.
        JUNE 6. The North of Ireland is affected; at Belfast martial law has
        been declared by Major Gen. Sir CHARLES ASGILL.
        JUNE 7. The rebellion still rages in Wicklow, Carlow, and Wexford. Many
        of the insurgents are killed; and many inhabitants are obliged to fly to Wales
        for refuge.
        JUNE 8. The great body of the rebels is posted on Wexford heigth near
        the sea. They count 15000 with 8 pieces of artillery and a strong position. They
        swear to die in the last ditch, or throw themselves into the sea. The city of
        Wexford is retaken. The rebels lost 900 and the King's troops many from the
        4-feet pikes of the insurgents, against which the bayonet was useless. A general
        action with the rebels is momently expected. An attack was in contemplation when
        the last accounts came away. In one instance the rebels have conquered. -- Col.
        WALPOLE, with a detachment of 500 men, with artillery, proceeding to join the
        main army, commanded by Gens. Eustace, Fawcett and Johnston, and to cooperate
        with them in the general attack was assailed in a defile and defeated. The
        Colonel and 300 more were killed, and the party left five pieces of artillery.
        The rebels live in tents and nightly send out foraging parties to collect
        provisions. But as they have no arrangements and but small finances, their
        complete subjugation may be expected;- and the arm of government made strong by
        the measure. Martial law is declared at Limerick.

        Message 3 of 15 , Jul 22, 2005
          Federal Gazette & Baltimore Daily Advertiser
          August 11, 1798

          LONDON, June 4
          REBELLION IN IRELAND.
          London Gazette, Saturday, June 2
          Dublin Castle, May 29, 1798
          Official report from major-general, sir James Duff, dated Monastereven, May 29,
          1798.
          I marched from Limerick on Sunday morning, with 60 dragoons, the Dublin
          militia, their field pieces, with 2 curricle guns, to open the communication
          with Dublin, which I judged of the utmost importance to government. By means of
          cars for the infantry, I reached this place in 48 hours. I am now, at 7 o'clock
          this morning (Monday) marching to surround the town of Kildare, the head
          quarters of the rebels, with 7 pieces of artillery, 140 dragoons, and 350
          infantry. I have left the whole country behind me perfectly quiet, and well
          protected by means of the troops and yeomanry corps. I hope to be able to
          forward this to you by the mail coach, which will escort to Naas. I am
          sufficiently strong. You may depend upon my prudence and success. My guns were
          well mannered, and the troops in high spirits. The cruelties that have been
          committed on some of the officers and men, have exasperated them to a great
          degree. Of my future operations, I will endeavour to inform you.
          JAMES DUFF.

          Message 4 of 15 , Jul 23, 2005
            New Jersey Journal
            Aug 14, 1798

            DUBLIN, May 31.
            We are extremely happy to announce that, in several parts of the country,
            numbers of the infatuated peasantry are coming in, surrendering their arms, and
            taking the oath of allegiance. In the neighbourhood of Coolock, we hear, no less
            than 500 have come in in the course of Tuesday, and the day before,
            acknowledging their crimes, and delivering up their arms; and this, we
            understand, has been in a great measure owing to the humane exertions of Hon.
            Capt. Annesley.
            Recruits are joining in numbers every day, to the different yeomanry troops
            of this city, and new bodies also forming, one of which is to be called the
            Orange Corps, and, it is said, will be very numerous. In the country parts,
            likewise, the increase of the different corps of yeomanry is going forward with
            spirit, and the persons chosen are taken from the list of those who have
            voluntarily come forward to take the oath of allegiance, and indeed, very few
            will be excused unless such as are incapable of carrying arms, either by age,
            infirmity or their being employed in some necessary or indispensable avocation.
            June 2. This day Mr. Thomas Bacon, of Ship-street, a respectable master
            taylor, and formerly Major in the Goldsmith's Dublin Volunteers, was arrested in
            Golden-lane, dressed in female attire, and conveyed to the castle.
            Lord Henry Fitzgerald, who arrived here on Thursday, had yesterday a long
            interview with Lord Camden; but by no intreaty could he procure permission to
            free his brother, Lord Edward.
            Another execution took place this day on the Old Bridge.
            A respectable master shoe maker, who keeps a shop in South-King street was
            yesterday arrested, and, having received 200 lashes to extort a confession of
            what he knew not, was this day sent home to his disconsolate family, to be
            cured.
            In the affair of Blackmore-hill, six or seven peasants were shot, in their
            miserable cabins, by the military, after the insurgents had retreated.
            The town of Nass is totally destroyed, except a few remaining houses in the
            centre, occupied by the military.
            June 3. Enniscorthy (about 48 miles south of Dublin, on a fine river called
            Slaney) is in the hands of rebels, who have put every Protestant to death.
            Mr. Moor, of Rathangan, having drawn out his corps against the rebels, his
            lieutenant, who was a Catholic, cried out that "he would not fire on his fellow
            citizens." - "Nor I. Nor I," ran through the corps. On which Mr. Moor called
            out, "What I have no loyal men amongst you to ??????" Six or seven men instantly
            stood forward, who, with Mr. Moor, as instantly lost their lives, and the
            traitors fled to join the rebels.
            In Mr. Burchall's garden, which was dug up in every part, there were found
            long pikes and 12 muskets., which were concealed under some cabbage-plants; and
            in his day book was found the following creed in his own handwriting:- "I hold
            it to be an incontrovertible truism, that no Irish Catholic can be free while a
            Protestant lives."
            The rebels have burnt the bodies of several Protestants in some parts of the
            country. After the battle that was fought near Nass, the road was so encumbered
            with dead bodies, for near six miles, as to be scarcely passable.
            In the different engagements which have happened up to the present date, I
            am concerned to state that the loss of the Yeomanry is full 500 killed, besides
            12 officers; and the loss of the rebels exceeds 5000.
            More than 4000 rebels have encamped themselves on the hills of Tallagh,
            (about seven miles from Dublin) whole numbers have been considerably augmented
            by those who surrendered to Gen Dundas. The seven pretended leaders given up by
            these men, were seven miserable creatures who joined them thro' compulsion, and
            were about to desert them through fear. The event certainly shews there was no
            security for the engagements on the side of these rebels, for they fled
            instantly and joined the rebels at Talagh and Rathangan. And the rear of this
            army, with which Gen. Dundas had treated, marched off with their arms, fell in
            with and attacked Sir James Duff and his men, as he was escorting the mail to
            Naas. But he put to the sword about 300 of them.
            Mr. Grattan's steward was one of the principal leaders of the rebellion in
            the county of Wicklow. He is since taken, and has impeached his master. Dr.
            Edmond, who was stated to be hanged, was reprieved under the gallows, in
            consequence of making some very important discoveries.
            Houses have been found marked for the purpose of being fired, and the owners
            assassinated.
            Seventeen of Capt. Stratford's corps of yeomanry cavalry, all Papists, have
            been shot for being off their duty, and supposed to be intriguing with the
            rebels.
            The progress of the rebellion has been by no means so alarming within the
            last three days as its outset threatened. The county of Clare seems to have been
            cleared by the king's troops; and, except those who have retired into the
            fastnesses of the Wicklow mountains, and those who occupy the north-eastern
            quarter of the county of Wexford, there seems to be no existing force of
            treason, from which any thing can or ought to be apprehended.
            It is said that a messenger set off on Thursday with a warrant for the
            apprehension of Mr. Grattan, upon charges of the most serious nature.
            June 4. On Saturday last, Lieutenant John Clinch, of Capt. Ormsby's company
            of Rathcoole infantry, was executed at the front of the new prison pursuant to
            the sentence of a Court-Martial, who tried him the day before. At the place of
            execution he made an afflicting exhortation to his fellow soldiers,
            acknowledging the justice of his sentence and desiring that his fate might be a
            warning to all the cloth.- A boy, not thirteen years old, was taken on the hill
            of Rathcoole, and being closely interrogated, he gave such information as led to
            the discovery of a most treasonable conspiracy, in which the unfortunate officer
            above-mentioned was deeply implicated. The corps was to have joined the rebels
            the first attack, and murder Capt. Ormsby and his brothers. Others of the
            company are confined, and will be speedily brought to trial.
            This day Thomas Bacon, an eminent taylor and formerly a major of brigade in
            the old volunteers, was hanged, pursuant to the sentence of a Court-Martial on
            Carlisle bridge. From the barracks to the place of execution, he was conveyed in
            a cart through several principal and populous streets, in terrorem to the
            multitude, and such a melancholy and ignominious fate, attending a man of his
            rank in life, would in no other person excite more public interest, or have more
            effect, as he was very generally known. He is said to have confessed that he had
            knowledge of the conspiracy existing against the government, but was uniformly
            against suffering assassination to form a part of the system. He denied any
            knowledge of having been elected a major-general in the rebel army; but admitted
            that the rank had been offered him, and said he had refused it.- He has left a
            wife and several female children behind him, the oldest of whom, a very
            beautiful girl, excited much pity and compassion this day in the castle-yard,
            where she appeared in all the wildness of grief and distraction.
            Prisoners are taking up every day in great numbers. A Roman Catholic priest
            was arrested yesterday, of the name of Kearns; a Counsellor Bennet was also
            arrested.

            Extract of a letter from Lieut. Col. Longfield, of the royal Cork militia,
            to Lieut. Gen. Craig, dated at Rathangan, May. 29
            I arrived near this town at seven o'clock, and perceiving the rebels to have
            taken a position at the upper end of the town, near the church, and that they
            had in some parts barricaded the streets, and drawn chains across others, I
            placed my battalion guns in front, supported by the infantry, stationing the
            cavalry so as to support both, and commenced by firing ???? with the cannon -
            after the second discharge, I perceived the rebels to fly in my direction. I
            then gave orders for the cavalry to charge; which was executed by Capt. Pack and
            the detachment of the 5th dragoon guards, with the greatest spirits and
            judgment. Lord Trawly joined me immediately before the action with a serjeant
            and 12 of the Romney fencibles, and six of the yeomanry cavalry, who assisted
            with equal spirit in the charge.- To Col. Robinson, of the Perthshire regiment,
            Major Miller, Captain O'Callachan, and Capt. Campbell, of the 41st regiment, I
            am indebted for their spirited exertions and assistance. There are between 50
            and 60 of the rebels killed.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jul 24, 2005
              Norwich Packet
              Aug 14, 1798

              Progress of the Rebellion in Ireland

              London, May 25.
              The village of Lacklow, in Ireland, is burnt by the military. It consisted
              of 27 houses.
              Dublin is declared out of the King's peace.
              May 29. The Irish rebels have been defeated at Saggard and Naas. Several
              hundreds killed.
              May 30. The Dublin mail of the 25th inst. arrived yesterday, by which we
              have received, not only a confirmation of the dreadful accounts given in our
              last paper, but also some important details of several fresh actions which have
              taken place between the military and the rebels in various directions. The
              rebellion is now openly supported in most parts of the counties of Dublin,
              Kildare, and Meath, and even the neighbourhood of the metropolis has been
              assailed by the daring insurgents. In some instances they have made a desperate
              resistance, but in all they have been defeated with great slaughter, while his
              majesty's forces have sustained very little loss. Near Dunboyne the rebels
              ????????????? by a small party of the Reay fencibles, as stated in our paper of
              yesterday, remained undisturbed on the 24th, but on the following day a
              formidable army was sent against them, who happily succeeded in putting the
              whole body to flight.
              General Grenier, says a Paris paper, is shortly to sail from Dunkirk, with
              the troops destined for the invasion of England. The corps which were hitherto
              in cantonments at St. Omer, Bethune, Arras, &c. have marched to the coast.
              May 31. By the Dublin mail of the 26th, which came to hand yesterday, we
              have received accounts of several fresh actions having been fought between
              military and the insurgents, in the whole of which his Majesty's forces have
              completely triumphed. The rebellion has extended its influence into the counties
              of Wicklow and Carlow, so that there are now five counties in an open state of
              insurrection. The official details of two of the engagements, which took place
              at Hacketstown, in the county of Carlow, and at Baltinglass, in the county of
              Wicklow, state that the rebels lost in the former three hundred men, and in the
              latter between one and two hundred. Battles have also been fought at Clare,
              Ballimor, Berresttown, Lucan and Lusk, which terminated in a similar manner. The
              rebels have burnt the town of Kilcullen, and destroyed a great part of the
              respectable city of Carlow, at which place a dreadful conflict took place, the
              result of which was, that four hundred of the misguided wretches were slain,
              over whole mangled carcasses the travellers from Dublin to the southward were
              for a whole day obligated to pass. Such is the frightful picture which the
              intelligence of yesterday presents to our view. But this is not all; Our advices
              from the fourth state, that the county of Kilkenny is in a very perturbed
              situation; that the greatest apprehensions are entertained in the counties of
              Tipperary and Waterford; and that in the county of Cork, an open rebellion is
              hourly expected. The vicinity of the Metropolis continues to be infested with
              numerous bodies of the insurgents, against whom all the troops in the garrison
              have received orders to march, and the protection of the city is now committed
              to the yeomanry, who, form their numbers and activity, appear fully adequate to
              the undertaking. Two members of the Rathfarham volunteers, Messrs. Ledwich and
              Keogh, who headed the rebels in an action fought near that place, were on Sunday
              last, with eighteen others, executed in Dublin, pursuant to the sentences of
              several courts martial; on the same day, Dr. Esmond of the county of Kildare,
              also suffered death, for rebellious behavior. The rebels have possessed
              themselves of some unimportant posts not far distant from the metropolis, and
              destroyed the bridge of Kilcullen, to prevent a communication with the South.
              June 4. The official intelligence which has arrived from Dublin since our
              last publication, in some measure answers our expectations, and gratifies our
              hopes. A numerous body of rebels assembled on the curragh of Kildare (amounting
              to 4000) have laid down their arms, and given up a number of their leaders; that
              the communication between Dublin and Limerick, which had been cut off by the
              insurgents, has been restored; and that Sir James Duff has retaken the town of
              Kildare and killed between two and three hundred of the insurgents who had
              possession of that place, with the loss of three men killed and several wounded.
              The Gazette adds, that "the South is entirely quiet." We are sorry, however, our
              letters from that quarter do not admit us to subscribe to this last assertion.
              The rebels, we are on the contrary assured, are still in great force in the
              county of Wexford, and at a late hour ????? informed that a large detachment of
              the 13th regiment of foot, commanded by lieutenant colonel Colville, which
              marched from Waterford for that county, on the 8th ult, had been cut off by the
              Insurgents, who, to the amount of near 7000 men were in the possession of the
              city of Wexford and its neighbourhood, when the gentleman who states this
              unfortunate circumstance came away.
              June 6. Major gen. Fawcett having marched from Duncannon Fort, with a
              company of the Meath regiment, was surrounded by a very large body of rebels
              between Taghman and Wexford, and defeated; the general effecting his retreat to
              the fort. Official.
              The town of Newtown Barry was attacked June 1, by the rebels; they
              surrounded it in such a manner that Colonel L'Estrange at first retreated to
              collect his force; he then attacked them, drove them from the town with great
              slaughter ,and pursued them several miles, 500 of the rebels were killed; the
              col's. whole force was about 350. Official.
              A party of rebels in endeavouring to enter Carlow were defeated. Official.
              Yesterday's Irish Mails brought was to June 2. The rebels appear to derive
              military instruction from their frequent disasters. In the north of Ireland too,
              which has affected much loyalty, such ferocious indications of revolt have
              appeared, that martial law is declared there. This was done at Belfast on Sunday
              last.
              It is feared that Toulon fleet has eluded the vigilance of Ad. Nelson.
              June 8. Yesterday arrived the Waterford and Donaughadee mails. The rebels,
              to the amount of fifteen thousand men, are encamped on the mountain of Farth,
              situated near the sea, about ten miles from Wexford, so advantageous to dislodge
              them. Their front is protected by a numerous body of horse, and eight pieces of
              artillery and the sea is in their rear. Here they mean to make their grand
              stand; they have their apprehensions and are determined at any rate, to sell
              their lives dearly, and sooner than surrender, to throw themselves into the sea.
              Another account states that the rebels have been driven from Wexford, with
              the loss of 900 men, but that the king's military so experienced great loss, the
              pikes of the insurgents (14 feet in length) preventing the effectual use of the
              bayonet. It is said a company of the North Cork militia and a detachment of
              Meath militia have been cut off by the rebels.
              Capt. Moor, of Rathangan, having drawn out his company to engage the
              revolters, his lieut. cried, he would not fight against his fellow citizens.
              'Nor I,' 'nor I,' run threw the corps - when they massacred their capt. and fled
              to the insurgents.
              Sir Edward Crosbie has been executed as a rebel in Ireland.
              June 9. The Dublin mail of the 4th arrived yesterday. There has been no
              general action, and it is supposed the rebels mean to confine themselves to a
              system of predatory warfare. They frequently issue from their head quarters on
              the Wexford mountain and have some skirmishes, wherein victory has been
              generally on the side of the king's troops. On one instance the rebels
              triumphed. A detachment under col. Walpole, of 5 or 600 men, with artillery
              (marching to join the main army, with was about attacking the rebels in three
              different points) while they were passing a defile, were attacked; a severe
              conflict ensued, which terminated in the defeat of their commander, Walpole.
              Some compute the total loss at 300, others at a 100, on the part of the
              defeated. It is said the rebels took 5 pieces of artillery. We hope the most
              moderate of their accounts is exaggerated.
              Mr. Bacon, a taylor, elected maj-general of the revolters, has been
              arrested, and was hanged on Monday last. Martial law is declared in Limerick;
              and Irish affairs are daily more portentous. All troops, which can be spared
              from other parts, are marching to the insurgent counties of Wexford, Carlow and
              Wicklow; but the disaffected state of the north, necessitates the leaving many
              troops there, therefore 10,000 men are instantly to go from England.
              It is reported, a whole corps of yeomanry (loyal rifles) is disarmed in
              Dublin, having been discovered in league with the rebels.
              The rebels in Wexford, possessing both bays and harbors, it is thought they
              have already received some aid from France. They hold Enniscorthy, a very
              populous town.
              O'Coigley, a clergyman, has been executed in Ireland, for treason.
              Troops, it is said, are sailing from New Castle, Plymouth, Liverpool, &c.
              for Ireland.

              Dublin, May 31.
              M'Conn, an apothecary, is apprehended; and his apprentice deposes that he
              has, within a few days, sold above a thousand ounces of arsenic to various
              persons, who were servants.
              Yesterday, died of his wounds, capt. D.F. Byan, the officer who arrested
              lord Fitzgerald.
              In an attempt on Newtown, Mount Kennedy, the rebels were defeated with the
              loss of 40.
              The rector of Kyle and his whole family, infants and all, have been
              butchered by the rebels. The families of Mr. Bookey, Mr. Barrington and others
              have shared the same fate.
              The insurgent camp at Blackmoor Hill has been taken possession of by
              government, and the rebels driven from it, with the loss of their camp materials
              and 7 of their horde. They were 1000 strong, and were defeated by about 100.
              June 2. Among the rebels near Narragmore, was an Amazonian leader. She fired
              two shot at the col. of the regular troops. She is taken, but the treason act
              cannot well be literally put in force against her.
              It is said a large body of rebels have been defeated at Corce (Wexford
              county) and 140 killed.
              Lieut. Clinch, of the infantry, was executed on Saturday. He confessed his
              crime, viz conspiring to murder his capt. and desert the army with the company
              to the rebels.
              All respectable families that can are embarking for England, with all speed.

              Message 6 of 15 , Jul 25, 2005
                Gazette of the United States
                August 17, 1798

                The following letter from the north of Ireland, dated 31st May, was politely
                handed to us by a merchant of the first respectability. Its contents are
                interesting and authentic. -

                My dear Sir,
                I wrote you 10th current by captain Macey and by the Mohawk, captain Moore,
                since which the united Irish, without waiting for their good friends the French,
                have broken out into open rebellion. The plan was fixed for setting on fire the
                city of Dublin in different parts at the same instant on the night of the 19th
                current. Persons were to be placed at the houses of loyalists to murder them as
                soon as they (on the alarm of fire) should open their doors; most of the
                servants of the city were sworn to assist in this dreadful massacre, and to
                bring out all the bulky furniture and to lay it across the streets to impede the
                march of horse and foot, who might attempt to give aid to the sufferers. A
                bloody night it would have been, had not government received information of the
                conspiracy some short time previous to the fatal period, and taken every
                precaution to prevent its being carried to execution. Lord Edward Fitzgerald
                (brother to the Duke of Leinster, who was to have headed the rebel army, and for
                whose capture 1000l. reward was offered) having been taken that very evening
                after a desperate resistance, disconcerted their schemes for the attack of the
                city, but as the insurrection was to have been general, large bodies of these
                deluded people well armed collected on the 22d current, and attacked Nags,
                Dunshoughlin, Dunboyne, Monsterevan, Clandalkin, Kilcullen and appeared in force
                at Rathfarnam, Wicklow mountains, Curragh of Kildare, Stratford on Shaney, and
                other places; to prevent intelligence they stopped all the mail coaches leaving
                Dublin on the night of the 22d, burnt them and the mails containing the letters;
                and as most of the army is stationed in the south, and south west parts of the
                kingdom, where we expected the French would land, there were but few forces in
                Dublin or its vicinity; however these few in small parties, attacked the
                different bodies of the rebels and in every engagement the latter were defeated
                and it is computed that above 3000 of them were killed, many wounded and many
                prisoners taken, but not without some loss on the part of the king's troops by
                reason of the smallness of their numbers, in respect to those of the rebels, who
                in most of the actions were ten, twelve and more to one. They have committed
                many horrid murders, cutting the throats of men, women and children and burning
                whole families in their houses, following the barbarous example of their
                brethren in iniquity, the French. They say that the Roman Catholics will never
                be emancipated until the Protestants are totally destroyed. We have reason to be
                thankful that none of these insurrections were nearer to us than between 30 to
                40 miles. Hereabout and to the northward of this they are at present pretty
                quiet but it is hard to say how long they many continue so; the whole kingdom is
                now under military law.
                Yesterday's papers inform that 4000 of the rebels in the county of Kildare
                had surrendered on promise of pardon, they giving up their arms and their
                officers. I have therefore great hopes that this rebellion will soon be crushed
                without more blood being shed, and die away until the French invade us, when
                there is not doubt but numbers will join them. As there are no vessels here for
                America, and knowing how anxious you would be fore the safety of your friends in
                this part of the world, on hearing flying and vague reports of the rebellion by
                ships from England, the half of which would in all probability be either false
                or much exaggerated, I thought you would be highly gratified in hearing from me
                what you can depend on for truth. By the next opportunity I shall write you the
                catastrophe of this shocking business.

                Message 7 of 15 , Jul 28, 2005
                  Commercial Advertiser
                  Aug 28, 1798

                  IRELAND
                  THE REBELLION
                  (From the London Gazette of Last Night)
                  Whitehall, June 12.
                  Dispatches of which the following are copies, have been this day received
                  from his Excellency the Lord Lieut. of Ireland, by his Grace the Duke of
                  Portland, His Majesty's principal Sec'ry of State for the home department.

                  Dublin-Castle, June 9.
                  MY LORD,
                  It is with the utmost concern I acquaint your Grace, an insurrection has broken
                  out in the county of Antrim; and in order to give your Grace the fullest
                  information in my power, I enclose to you an extract of a letter received this
                  morning by Lord Castlereach, from Maj. Gen. Nugent. I am in great hope, from the
                  numbers and spirit of the loyal in that part of the country, the insurgents may
                  be quickly checked. I have the honor to be, &c, &c.
                  CAMDEN
                  His Grace the Duke of Portland.
                  Belfast, June 8.
                  MY LORD,
                  I have the honor to report to your lordship, that in consequence of
                  information which I received early yesterday morning, of an intended
                  insurrection in the county of Antrim, having for its first object the seizure of
                  the magistrates, who were to assemble that day in the town of Antrim, I
                  apprehended several persons in Belfast. I did not receive the intelligence early
                  enough to prevent the insurgents from taking possession of Antrim and I am not
                  therefore acquainted with their first proceedings there; but I prevented many
                  magistrates from leaving Belfast; and many others, being officers of yeomanry on
                  permanent duty, did not attend the meeting. I ordered the 64th regiment and
                  light battalion, and 100 of the 22d light dragoons, under col. Clavering and
                  lieut. col. Lumley, with two 5 1/2 inch howitzers, and two curricle 6 pounders,
                  to proceed with the utmost dispatch thro Lisburn to Antrim. I also ordered from
                  the garrison 250 of the Monaghan militia, with lieut. col. Ker, and 50 of the
                  22d dragoons, together with the Belfast yeomanry cavalry, with maj. Smith, to
                  proceed under the command of col. Durham, with two curricle 6 pounders thro
                  Carmoney and Templepatrick to Antrim, to co-operate with the other detachment.
                  The dragoons under lieut. col. Lumley having made the attack upon the town
                  without waiting for the light battalion, were fired upon from the windows of the
                  houses and were consequently obliged to retreat with the loss of, I am sorry to
                  add, three officers of that excellent regiment killed and wounded, and the two
                  curricle 6 pounders. Co. Clavering, on his arrival near Antrim, finding the
                  rebels pouring into that town in great force, very judiciously took post on a
                  hill on the Lisburn side and reported his situation to M. Gen. Goldie. In the
                  mean time col. Durham, with his whole detachment, proceeded to within half a
                  mile of Antrim, and after a cannonade of half an hour, drove the insurgents
                  completely out of the town and retook the two curricle guns, together with 1
                  brass 6 pounder, very badly mounted, of which, it seems, the rebels and two
                  supposed to have been smuggled out of Belfast. The col. then proceeded without
                  the loss of a man, thro the town, (when, for obvious reasons, suffered much) to
                  Shane's Castle and Randelstown, in which direction the principal part of the
                  rebels fled. He remains there still for orders from me. Lord O'Neil, I am sorry
                  to say, is dangerously wounded.
                  Lieut.-Col. Leslie, of the Tay Fencibles, reports to me from Carrickfergus,
                  that Lieutenant Small, with a detachment of twenty men of that corps, in the
                  barrack at Larne, defended themselves most gallantly against the attack of a
                  numerous body and maintained their post, with the loss of two killed and three
                  wounded, including the Lieutenant. I have ordered them into head-quarters at
                  Carrickfergus. The Glenarm Yeomanry (sixty strong) being also threatened by an
                  attack, in the course of the day took possession of Glenarm Castle, where they
                  will maintain themselves if possible. Brigadier General Knox, having heard of a
                  party of the Toome Yeomanry being made prisoners by the Insurgents, sent to me
                  very early this morning, to offer to march, by Toome Bridge, into the county of
                  Antrim, which I have desired him to do, in order to liberate Colonel Dunham's
                  detachment, and enable them to cross the country on their return to Belfast.
                  Although the Insurrection has been pretty general in the county, I do not
                  find they have had much success; but I have not received as yet any reports from
                  Ballycastle, Ballymena, Ballymoney, Portglenore, and other places in the
                  Northern parts, in which Yeomanry are stationed.- As my information led to a
                  general rising in the county of Down, I have been obliged to call in all the
                  small detachments of the York Fencibles to Newtown Ardes. Colonel Stapleton has
                  everything in readiness to move at a moment's warning. The Yeomanry are all on
                  permanent duty throughout the counties of Down and Antrim; and have distributed
                  arms to 140 loyal men in Belfast, who will be attached to the Monaghan and
                  Fifeshire regiiments and thereby become very useful. Offers of service are very
                  numerous.
                  I cannot close this letter without expressing to your Lordship my entire
                  approbation of the conduct of the Troops of all descriptions in this part of the
                  Northern District; their zeal and attention to their duties cannot be surpassed;
                  and I trust that, when occasion offers, they will act in that concert which is
                  so much to be wished for in military service. Lieutenant Colonel Lumley, I am
                  afraid, is badly wounded in the leg; Cornet Dunn is killed; and Lieutenant
                  Murphy slightly wounded; all of the 22d Dragoons, I understand, but not
                  officially, that some Yeomanry from Lord Hereford's estate (I believe the
                  Derriaghy) were with the Dragoons when they made the unsuccessful attack on
                  Antrim; and they retired to Anstrun Castle where they were relieved by Colonel
                  Durham. Colonel Durham deserves my warmest praise for his judicious and spirited
                  conduct. He speaks in high terms of the detachment under him, and particularly
                  the Monaghan Militia.- The Rev. Steele Dickson was taken up the night before
                  last, and sent prisoner here, where he will be confined in a place of safety, as
                  well as many others, whom it is now necessary to apprehend. Your Lordship may
                  depend upon my individual exertions in this unpleasant contest; and as I am ably
                  supported, I make no doubt, that we shall prevent the Rebels from gaining any
                  advantages, and ultimately oblige them to return to their allegiance. I shall
                  write again to-morrow, should any material event occur. I have the honor to be,
                  &c.
                  C. NUGENT, Major-General.
                  Lord Viscount Castlereagh, &c.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Jul 31, 2005
                    Salem Gazette
                    September 4, 1798

                    Belfast, June 15.
                    To the honour of the province of Ulster, only two counties, out of its nine,
                    were led astray in the late disturbances.
                    The rebellion in this part of the country may now be considered as
                    completely suppressed.
                    June 18.
                    The Insurgents in the county of Wexford now consist, it is said, of 60,000,
                    and are reported to be casting cannon at the founderies in Wexford and
                    Enniscorthy.
                    All communications between Denaghadee and Port Patrick is stopped for the
                    present. The packet with the last mail sailed from Carrickfergus.

                    Commercial Advertiser
                    September 4, 1798

                    PRIVATE LETTERS.
                    Dublin, June 23
                    I have just got sight of a letter received by a friend of mine, a few days
                    since, from Ross; the part which I extract relates to the first engagement which
                    took place there as follows:-
                    "After the engagement, the army gave the Rebels no quarter; upwards of two
                    hundred were killed in the main street of this town.
                    "You may be very thankful you left this place, as the scenes of horror it
                    has presented for some days back, make humanity shudder. Business is totally
                    destroyed; the shops are all shut up, and nothing but dreadful warfare is to be
                    seen or heard. The evening after the action, all the shops in town were
                    plundered, and every person met in colored clothes was shot. A number of the
                    town's people unfortunately fell in consequence; no discrimination was made, and
                    innocent and guilty were equally involved; the colored coat was a sufficient
                    mark of guilt with the executioner. Two hundred and thirty houses have already
                    been burnt ????? some, indeed, were cabins."

                    Connecticut Courant
                    September 5, 1798

                    REBELLION IN IRELAND
                    London, June 26.
                    The following official Bulleting has been published at Dublin the 22d.
                    Extract of a letter from Gen. Larke to Lord Vicount, Castlereagh, dated
                    Enniscorthy, June 21. '98.
                    "Dublin Castle, June 22, 1798.
                    "My Lord,
                    "I have the honor to acquaint your Lordship for his Excellency the Lord
                    Lieutenant's information, that the Rebel camp upon Vinegar-hill was attacked
                    this morning at 7 o'clock, and carried in about an hour and a half.
                    "The relative importance of this very strong proposition with our operations
                    against Wexford made it necessary to combine our attacks as to insure success. A
                    column, under Major-Generals Johnson and Eustace, was drawn from Ross, and began
                    the attack upon the town of Enniscorthy, situate upon the right bank of the
                    Salney, close under Vinegar-hill, upon the right and rather in the rear of it.
                    "Lieutenant-General Dundas commanded the center column, supported by a
                    column on the right, under Major-Generals Sir James Duff and Loetus; a fourth
                    column, upon the left, was commanded by the Hon. Major-General Needham. To the
                    determined spirit with which these columns were conducted, and the great
                    gallantry of the troops, we are indebted for the short resistance of the rebels,
                    who maintained their ground obstinately for the time above mentioned; but on
                    perceiving the danger of being surrounded, they fled with great precipitation.
                    Their loss is not yet ascertained, but it must be very considerable. The loss on
                    our part is not great, the particulars of which I shall report as soon as
                    possible. In the meantime I am sorry to say that Lieutenant Sandys of the
                    Longford Regiment is killed; and that Col. King, of the Sligo, was wounded, in
                    gallantly leading his regiment. Lord Blaney and Col. Versey, of the County
                    Dublin Regiment, are also wounded, but I am happy to add, that the wounds of
                    these three officers are very slight."
                    [Here follows the General's obligations to various officers and the men for
                    their courage and promptitude, and the return of 18 brass field-pieces and
                    howitzers taken from the rebels, with stores, &c.]
                    [Gen. Algill has defeated a party, killed 100. Col. O'Reeley has killed 150
                    near Bandon. The papers are full of accounts of skirmishes, &c. in which the
                    loyal troops are invariably successful.]
                    September 5, 1798

                    August 31.
                    FROM ENGLAND - THE LATEST.
                    We were last evening put in possession of London papers to June 26, brought
                    by Capt. Choate from Liverpool; the following is a hasty summary of the most
                    important of their contents.
                    The Rebellion in Ireland still rages with violence. Many actions have
                    occurred, in which the loyal troops were generally successful. Most of these
                    were of no consequence, but none have been decisive as to the Insurrection.
                    Numbers of the Revolters are daily surrendering. A French frigate has landed
                    Military Stores; and others, it was said, were ordered, at all events, to
                    proceed from Brest to Ireland. Marquis Cornwallis is appointed Lord Lieut. of
                    Ireland and has arrived there. We see no charge against Camden. An American, the
                    mate of the brig Sukey, got into the midst of a mob, where a person was whipping
                    for treasonable practices, and there uttered many intemperate words---was
                    arrested and sentenced to receive 500 lashes; but afterwards, in consideration
                    of his country was pardoned. Proclamations by certain Loyal Generals interdict
                    the further commission of many excesses which have occurred from the King's
                    troops; but Cornwallis, is said to have orders to behave with increased military
                    energy. Several English Militia Regiments have tendered their services to go
                    over to Ireland, and have been accepted. Addresses in favor of mild measures in
                    Ireland have been rejected in the British Parliament. The Debates are all
                    secret. A Peer is not suffered to be present in the Tribune of the Commons.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 5 6:27 PM
                      Columbian Centinel
                      September 8, 1798

                      The Rebellion in Ireland.
                      Dublin, July 10.
                      As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
                      of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighboring borders of Kildare and Wexford; nor
                      does this exception surprize us, when we recollect that in all rebellions with
                      which this unhappy island have been afflicted Wicklow was always the county last
                      conquered.

                      Commercial Advertiser
                      Sept. 8, 1798

                      London, July 6.
                      A subscription was opened at Baston's Coffee House for the relief of the
                      Individuals, or of the wives and children of such as have suffered, or may
                      hereafter suffer in suppressing the unfortunate Rebellion in Ireland when the
                      sum of 15,000l, sterling was subscribed in a few days.
                      This is one among the numerous displays of that spirit of liberality which,
                      to say the least, is a prominent feature in the character of the English nation.
                      Of all public emergencies, and on all occasions of misfortune, either general or
                      local, they are probably much more liberal than any other modern European
                      nation.

                      Connecticut Courant
                      September 10, 1798

                      The Rebellion in Ireland is considered to be so completely crushed, that Marquis
                      Cornwallis has written home that there is no occasion for any reinforcements to
                      be sent to Ireland. In consequence all the Militia regiments either embarked, or
                      under orders, are countermanded and will remain in England.

                      Albany Centinel
                      September 14, 1798

                      IRELAND.
                      Dublin, July 7.
                      The official accounts published yesterday evening contained the pleasing
                      information of a signal rout given to the rebels in the county of Wicklow. All
                      our private letters from that quarter agree in every respect with the public
                      account, but mention the number of slain on the part of the rebels, in different
                      ways, some stating them at seven hundred, while others say they amount to nearly
                      two thousand. - Some idea of the number of the rebels engaged in this affair may
                      be obtained by knowing that their army covered four miles and a half of a very
                      wide road, besides multitudes covering the fields on each side; the loss of such
                      an army in a tumultuary flight must be incalculable.
                      From Kildare accounts are received, which state, that though a great number
                      of the Rebels have availed themselves of the late proclamation, yet the
                      collective force acting against government is very considerable. I have seen a
                      letter from an officer of the Suffolk fencibles, quartered near Kilcullen
                      bridge, which states that the Rebels are encamped near 16,000 strong, within a
                      few miles of them; but they have received orders not to attempt to attack them
                      till a reinforcement arrives.

                      July 10.
                      As far as we can learn, the most perfect quiet reigns throughout every part
                      of Ireland, save Wicklow and its neighbouring borders of Kildare and Wexford;
                      nor does this exception surprize us when we recollect that in all rebellions
                      with which this unhappy island has been afflicted, Wicklow was always the county
                      last conquered.

                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 7 7:22 AM
                        Columbian Centinel
                        September 29, 1798

                        Of the Rebellion in Ireland,
                        IRELAND, Dublin, Aug 2
                        The rebel banditti, which, but a few weeks since, were composed of a body at
                        Vinegar-Hill, of nineteen thousand strong; at Linkinstown-Hill, of fifteen
                        thousand; at the town of Wexford and its vicinities, near the sea side, of eight
                        thousand; and at Enniscorthy, Carnew, and other parts of the county of Wexford,
                        of about ten thousand more, independent of the numerous hordes in the counties
                        of Kildaire, Wicklow, Carlow, Meath, the Queen's County, &c. are now reduced to
                        parties plundering marauders, from thirty to sixty in number, some of which have
                        been already cut to pieces, and others separating and accepting the terms of
                        pardon, already graciously proffered - so much for rebellion in its former and
                        present state, and thus are its purposes entirely blasted.

                        Albany Centinel
                        Oct 5, 1798

                        IRELAND
                        Dublin, August 20.
                        Since our last no accounts have reached town of consequence. The wretched
                        rebels continue to be surprised in small parties, particularly in the County of
                        Meath.

                        July 21.
                        The freedom of the city was unanimously voted to his Excellency the Marquis
                        Cornwallis, with a congratulatory address upon his arrival in this Kingdom.
                        The assembly upon a petition of certain of the Commons, unanimously
                        disfranchised Hamilton Rowan, John Chambers and Napper Tandy, to be considered
                        hereafter as aliens, the two former being accused of high treason, and bills for
                        felony having been found against the latter, and all having absconded.

                        July 24.
                        The rebel prisoners who have surrendered and are now confined at the Royal
                        Exchange, exhibit a just picture of the infernal cause in which they had
                        embarked, in the most immoral and profligate behaviour, by continued blasphemy,
                        and horrid oaths, cursing and abusing the yeomanry, and his Majesty's forces.
                        They appear to be most depraved ruffians, equal to the commitment of any act of
                        desperation.
                        The great guns which had so long menaced the populace of Dublin from the
                        Castle gates, were removed yesterday, and the Orange is getting fast out of
                        season, it is now picked, and I trust will soon be wholly rotten, all which
                        circumstances are no small indications of returning confidence and established
                        tranquility.

                        August 4.
                        So general is the restoration of tranquility that the Generals of the
                        several districts have written to the commanders of the yeomanry corps,
                        announcing the state of the country to be such that there no longer existed
                        occasion for their continuing on permanent duty. Sir James Duff, on signifying
                        this agreeable intelligence to the volunteers of Limerick, and Nenall, passed
                        high and deserved encomiums on their conduct, and expressed his hope, that they
                        will occasionally assemble, as before the rebellion, for the preservation of
                        that discipline which has rendered them so respectable.
                        It was yesterday currently reported that in consequence of information, a
                        rebel deposit of one hundred thousand guineas had been discovered.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 14 11:46 AM
                          Federal Galaxy
                          Oct 13, 1798
                          IRELAND.
                          Dublin, Aug. 4
                          The present state of the country bears the fairest prospect of
                          tranquility, and rebellion seems to shield its head in final oblivion. The
                          armed rebels who appeared in such force and numbers are no longer to be
                          found; vanquished in every battle, in which they had the hardihood to make
                          stand, and their leaders defeated in their abominable views, of universal
                          plunder and massacre; their accursed and baneful influence is in neither the
                          East or West province of this country, and the only trace that can be found
                          of that wretched and unprovoked rebellion, which so lately rent and agitated
                          this country, is that of armed banditties of robbers, who derive a
                          subsistence from plunder, and are composed of blood thirsty miscreants, whom
                          we hope our gallant yeomanry, as best acquainted with the interior of the
                          country, will bring to justice.

                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 18 6:34 PM
                            Federal Gazette
                            October 19, 1798
                            DUBLIN, August 29.
                            THE INVASION.
                            Extract of a letter from Ballinrebe, Aug. 25.
                            "Friday morning, at two o'clock, we were alarmed by an express for the
                            Carabineers, the French being about to land at Killala, about 42 miles from
                            hence. Sir Thomas Chapman immediately set off, and found they had really
                            effected a landing, and had taken prisoners the bishop of Killala, his two
                            sons, Dean Thompson and his wife, Mr. Thomas Ellison, &c and had thrown up
                            some istrenchments. Sir Thomas, on reconnoitering their works, was
                            attacked, but after a smart skirmish, had only a few men, about 8, slightly
                            wounded, and a serjeant missing. Our troops killed one of their officers,
                            and retreated to Castlebar, where they are now waiting for a supply of
                            troops, who are hourly passing through this quarter, and it is thought will
                            proceed to-morrow to attack them.
                            "On Sir Thomas Chapman's retreat, the enemy advanced as far as Ballina
                            (7 miles nearer us) but did not keep it long, having conceived it prudent to
                            return to their first position. They picked up several prisoners, among them
                            Sir William Boyd.
                            "The alarm occasioned by the appearance of the enemy has crowded this
                            town, a number of families having deserted their habitations not only from
                            the neighborhood of Killala, but from parts within two miles of us. Thank
                            God, there is a considerable body of troops and ordnance in motion, and the
                            common people seem steady and well affected; a few days will terminate the
                            business."
                            The above letter mentions but 3 French frigates having appeared at
                            Killala.
                            Friday last the following notice was distributed through Athlone and its
                            neighborhood:
                            "Brigadier general Barnet has the satisfaction of informing the
                            inhabitants of Athlone and its neighborhood, that the French force landed at
                            Killala is very inconsiderable and that the force already marched against
                            them is sufficient to prevent their moving forward; and the general hopes,
                            in a very short time, to be able to announce their total defeat."
                            A variety of reports were yesterday circulated; among the most credited
                            were accounts that C. O'Hara, M.P. for Sligo, had, in attempting at the head
                            of his yeomanry corps to check the course of the French, fallen a prisoner
                            into their hands.
                            By the latest accounts we learn, that the French column had advanced on
                            its way to Sligo as far as the town of Ballina; but finding no aid or
                            countenance from the country people, had retired to Killala in the hope of
                            re-imbarking; but, it was added, that the frigates which brought them had
                            disappeared from the coast.
                            The landing of the enemy at Killala seems to be a matter artfully
                            designed, so as to have received assistance from the inhabitants of a part
                            of province of Ulster as well as Connaught before they proceeded further
                            into the country; but we are happy to find that loyalty is at present the
                            prevalent principle among the people, and that they have not been joined by
                            any of the inhabitants, and of course, the French forces must either
                            endeavor to escape to their vessels or else soon feel the fatal effects of
                            opposition to the troops of the country.
                            The spirit which the northern loyalists have ever displayed, has been
                            gloriously manifested by the Enniskilliners - four hundred of them, under
                            the command of cols Cole, marched on Friday evening toward Killala, leaving
                            700 behind them to protect the important pass of Enniskillen.
                            Since the above we hear, and hope, the intelligence well founded, that
                            the French have capitulated - and a still more pleasant circumstance, that
                            they were joined but by three of the natives;- these, together with an
                            outpost of the enemy, to whom they appeared to have acted as guides, are
                            said to have been taken by a party of the yeomanry. The French were defended
                            by 16 pieces of artillery.
                            The marquis Cornwallis's headquarters continue to be at Athlone.
                            A letter from Killala of the 26th states, that an heavy cannonade was
                            heard off the coast; and the probability is, that one of our squadrons has
                            fallen in with some of the enemy's ships.
                            From the different counties of Ulster, we receive the best-founded
                            assurances of tranquility.
                            A letter from Castlebar, under date of the 26th instant, mentions an
                            action having taken place between the enemy and the king's troops and
                            yeomanry, in which the latter sustained some trifling disadvantage; but
                            reinforcements being in movement from various directions, it was hourly
                            expected that the enemy must surrender, or be entirely cut off.
                            It is with much concern that we present to the public the official
                            account published yesterday, of a check received by the king's forces under
                            general Luke.
                            The circumstances, as far as we have been able to learn, are as follows:
                            General Luke, who left Dublin on Saturday last at 2 o'clock P.M. arrived
                            on the next evening at the village near Castlebar, where he had directed the
                            forces of the district to assemble with all possible speed; some of these
                            troops had many miles to march within a few hours, and in consequence at a
                            very early hour the next morning, but a small part of the intended army
                            having assembled (not quite one thousand men) the general was attacked on
                            the very point of rendezvousing by the enemy, who had marched in the course
                            of the evening and night before, in all force from Killala.
                            The king's troops, consisting of detachments from the Frazer fencibles,
                            Kilkenny and Limerick city militia, and royal Irish artillery, with six
                            field pieces, sustained the attack of the French with great gallantry, and
                            had there been any time for preparation or arrangement would have defeated
                            them; but the fencibles, having given way, and the six field pieces having
                            fallen into the hands of the enemy, the general found it necessary to
                            retreat with the loss of about twenty of his men.
                            His first retreat was to Hollymount, about seven miles southward of
                            Castlebar, from whence we understand he has since retreated still further
                            southward, through Tuam, in the county of Galway, to which latter place the
                            French troops are said to have advanced.
                            We have not learned whether general Lake has shaped his course to Galway
                            or Athlone.
                            Menatime every exertion of vigilance and precaution is adopted to
                            preserve the security of the rest of the country. The county of Wexford, so
                            lately the scene of warfare, is so far restored to peace as to justify the
                            marching of the 2d and 29th regiments toward the province of Connaught -
                            troops are moving from every quarter to the kingdom in the same direction -
                            the yeomanry have resumed their habits of vigilance throughout the country -
                            and in the city of Dublin the regulations which produced such salutary
                            effects during the late rebellion, have been revived.
                            General Craig, commander of the garrison, issued last night his orders
                            to have strictly enforced the directions forbidding any person whatever from
                            appearing in the streets at a later hour than 9 o'clock - and lord
                            Castlereagh by letter signed to the lord mayor the propriety of causing the
                            inhabitants of this city to continue pasted on their doors the names of the
                            persons residing in their houses. The different yoemanry guards were
                            strengthened and multiplied.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 22 5:59 PM
                              The Herald of Liberty
                              November 5, 1798
                              The following MANIFESTO was transmitted to us from the County of Mayo and
                              said to be published there by the French General.
                              "Health and fraternity to the people of Ireland.
                              "The Great nation has sent me to you with a band of heroes, to deliver
                              you from the hands of tyrants, fly to our standards, and share with us the
                              glory of subduing the world. We will teach you the arts of war and to
                              despise the low pursuits of toil and industry - You shall live on the spoils
                              of war and the labor of others. The acquisition of misery, and the enjoyment
                              of ease is glorious; We have made all the nations we have conquered happy by
                              arresting their property; by applying it to the common cause and
                              consecrating it to the champions of liberty! Property is a common right,
                              belonging to the valor that seizes it.
                              We have already destroyed the unaspiring tranquility of Switzerland! and
                              the wealth and power, and the bigotry of Italy are no more! if then the
                              justice of France has thus extended its reforming vengeance to unoffending
                              nations, consider how much more rigor it will visit you if you shall slight
                              its benignity, fly to our standards and we will free you from spiritual as
                              well as temporal subjection.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 30 6:38 PM
                                Connecticut Courant
                                November 19, 1798

                                REBELLION IN IRELAND
                                IRELAND, DUBLIN, Sept. 25.
                                From Ballyshannon, Sept. 18:
                                "The French were on this coast a few days since. A vessel mounting 169 guns,
                                and 200 men, a large park of artillery and a great quantity of small arms
                                and ammunition on board, arrived at Rutland, on Sunday last; they landed the
                                men but finding that the country people would not join them, they
                                re-embarked after pillaging the post-office, and other houses in that town,
                                they sailed thence to the eastward, on the same evening.
                                "It is confidently said, that James Napper Tandy was the conductor of
                                the above expedition; and from the course she steered from her departure
                                from Rutland, we have every reason to hope that she cannot escape the
                                vigilance of our cruizers on the Cork station."
                                A mail arrived this day from Dublin, but happy for Ireland - happy for
                                England!- order and quiet are now so generally restored that hardly any
                                other fact is left us to communicate in the way of intelligence.

                                The Gazette of the United States
                                November 20, 1798

                                BALLINA, September 24.
                                We have been here for some time in the greatest dread of being destroyed
                                by the rebels; but now, thank God, we are extricated from those fears - A
                                sore defeat has been given to the deluded wretches by his majesty's army, in
                                which above 1000 of them were killed between this place and Foxford. In this
                                vicinity they had committed great depredation. On entering houses they first
                                drank any wine they could get, then destroyed the furniture, and even the
                                gardens, and afterward carried off all plunder that was portable to Killala.
                                They were going to hang CALONEL, whose house they plundered. Some of the
                                French who lately landed at Killala were found among them, and are now
                                prisoners.